Rubber band bobber stopper

H
HRxPaperStacks
Hey guys!
So with the bobber stoppers that are just the string wrapped around the little piece of tubing: how do you get those from sliding up the line? I use braid and it still does it.

C_Run
C_Run
I know what you mean. You really have to reef on them...hard. Spit on them and then pull as hard as you can. And....if you have one that slips, carry a rubber band to take its place (if you know that method). Then you don't have to retie the whole thing.

D
DrTheopolis
Agreed -- start with the tag ends long, and use you pliers and teeth/whatever to crank it hard. I don't use bobberstops that much, but I've taken to leaving the ends a little long, in case it needs to be tightened (and I think the stop slips through the guides better with a little "ramp" of the ends).

But it's unlikely you'll get it too tight, so let'er'buck when you tighten it.

H
HRxPaperStacks
C_Run said:
I know what you mean. You really have to reef on them...hard. Spit on them and then pull as hard as you can. And....if you have one that slips, carry a rubber band to take its place (if you know that method). Then you don't have to retie the whole thing.

Can you please describe the rubber band method?

C_Run
C_Run
I am not sure I can but I will try. If you are cheap, you can use a narrow gauge rubber band instead of a bobber stop that you buy in the store. You loop the rubber band around the line and through itself and tighten it as best you can. I carry nail clippers for cutting line. Cut the rubber band off close and, viola!, bobber stop. Downside is you can not adjust it as many times as a regular bobber stop because it will fall off sooner or later. But, it is better than having to cut the line, put on a new bobber stop, thread the beads, bobber etc. and retie to your swivel or whatever if you have your bobber stop slipping and have not left enough spare thread to grab onto and re-tighten. I hope that makes sense. I usually keep a couple of rubber bands on hand just in case.

T
troutmasta
You just gotta crank on it. If it gets wet with an old knot or line it might need to be tightened more OFFten.

hobster
hobster
I also like to leave a the ends long so you can tighten it easier. I used to have this problem but I've since added a 8 ft. 20 lb.mono bumper to the end of my braid. I like the extra stretch, I think it's easier on the rod, and its more invisible so the fish can't see it. Plus its a heck of a lot easier to keep the bumper stop tight!

Z
zinfan94
Double up the bobber stops... put two on in series. If one slips, the other generally will hold.

J
JeannaJigs
Ditch the store bought Dacron and nylon stops and tie your own using mono. Mono stops don't move unless you move them

Reactions: Troutski
R
ryank
Start with 6-8" of 60lb dacron, tie a uni knot on your main line. Cinch down tight as you please, trim off excess dacron.

H
HRxPaperStacks
JeannaJigs said:
Ditch the store bought Dacron and nylon stops and tie your own using mono. Mono stops don't move unless you move them

That's an awesome idea! do you just use the nail knot?

D
donb
I don't like bobber stops on a tube that have to slip on the line, making it necessary to remove terminal tackle. The uni-knot or nail knot is easy, cheap, and can be added any time without having to remove terminal tackle. I personally prefer the nail knot with heavy braid which I tie with a piece of WD-40 nozzle tube as my "nail".

The rubber band method I use to keep corkies and beads from sliding around is also worth sharing. Bend a 2" piece of fine gauge stainless wire in half into a v shape. Squeeze it with a plier so that it look like a single wire, (kind of like a booby pin). The whole thing must be small enough to pass through the bead or corkie. Put a skinny rubber band into the v and pass it through the bead, pulling the rubber band through with it. Trim off the rubber band, but leave a tiny tag which you can pull with your teeth should you want to remove it. The bead will be easy to move with no slippage during use.