Royal trout slam

R
RyanHill127
So I finally did it. I've completed IGFA's Royal Trout Slam with a Brook, Brown, Bull, Cutthroat, Golden, Lake, and Rainbow. I fished the Metolious yesterday and although he might've been one of the smallest Bulls anyone has taken a pic of there, he hit a streamer I made up hard and completed my slam. So my problem is, I have a photo of me with everything but a brown unfortunately :think:. Call it what you may but I just need another brown so I can send off my application! Does anyone have a good spot I should hit up within 30 min of the Sherwood/Beaverton area? Once again I just moved up 2 months ago so I'm still the new guy ;)

• Bull Trout1.jpg
T
troutmasta
harriet lake. German Browns. Caught one a week ago on stimulator.

R
RyanHill127
Lake Harriet off 224? Just looking at google maps.

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Does a Dolly Varden count the same as a Bull Trout in that slam? If so, I qualify; if not, I don't.

T
troutmasta
RyanHill127 said:
Lake Harriet off 224? Just looking at google maps.

yezzir.
About 45-1 hr from beaverton/sherwood.

Its actually a dammed river so It has some current as well.

W
wozniasm
troutmasta said:
harriet lake. German Browns. Caught one a week ago on stimulator.

The German Browns are active at first light and at the end of the day.

S
Socaaron
No_Bad_Skunks said:
Does a Dolly Varden count the same as a Bull Trout in that slam? If so, I qualify; if not, I don't.
Dolly's are not actually a trout, they're in the Char family, though I'd love to catch one!

Interesting info...Char, Grayling, Whitefish etc. all evolved from a common related ancestor when the number of chromosomes doubled. Smelt are in a related family (Osmeridae) but have ½ the number of chromosomes (and half the DNA) of Salmonidae, so it looks like both families evolved from a common ancestor before the doubling took place. Until recently, classification was based on dissection and observation of physical characteristics, and smelt share many of the same characteritics- no bones in fins (like more evolutionarily advanced species like bass, perch etc), small cycloid scales, and adipose fins, so maybe at some point they were considered in the same family by some biologists until recently. With advances in genetic research, more emphasis in classification is placed on determining evolutionary relationships based on detailed analysis of DNA similarities and differences which weren't available until fairly recently

OK what's the difference between Char, Trout and Salmon?

Char (Lake Trout, Brook Trout, Dolly Varden, Artic Char etc) have light spots on a dark background, no black spots, and absence of teeth on the vomerine bone in the roof of the mouth.

Trout(Rainbows, Cuts, Browns etc) and Salmon (both Pacific and Atlantic) have dark spots on lighter backgrounds and teeth on the vomer.

The distinction between trout and salmon is less clear.

Better to think of origin from the Pacific in genus Oncorhynchus which has both Pacific Salmon and trout like rainbows and cuththroats. Here the salmon die after spawning and have 13 or more rays in the anal fin, and trout including both stream and migratory versions of species ( i.e. rainbows and steelhead) which don't die after spawning and have 12 rays or less.

Atlantic origin, genus Salar includes Atlantic Salmon and Brown trout, which appear to be very closely related, and don't die after spawning. Although there are typical differences like a more pronounced forked tail in the Atlantics and squarish tail in browns, sometimes biologists can only tell the difference by counting chromosomes because there is a lot of intergrading of physical characteristics between the two.

Not pickin on you just thought it was some interesting information for everyone

Reactions: rogerdodger
S
Socaaron
Where'd you catch the golden? I heard they only live above certain elevations and they're one that I've always wanted to catch

R
RyanHill127
Socaaron said:
Where'd you catch the golden? I heard they only live above certain elevations and they're one that I've always wanted to catch

I moved up a couple months ago from Reno and I fish for Goldens in a few glacial lakes in the Central Sierras in California. It's the toughest trout of the slam without a doubt. Lots of strenuous miles on the feet. My favorite lake for example has some 3+ pound goldens in it and it's a 6 mile hike in to 10,500 feet, and literally up hill both ways. On the way up you actually lose 1,000 feet in the first mile and a half before gaining the 2,500 back up to the lake, which makes the last mile and a half going back to the truck pretty miserable!

H
hydropsyche
Way to go you caught a bull your first time on the met that's allot better than most can claim. Did you fish any dries for bows the will kick the bull trouts butt when it comes to fighting and there is some huge ones down there. Next you should go for the metolious slam brown, bull, brook, bow, in one day. I have pulled off a hat trick but have yet to fish the upper river for a brook.

R
RyanHill127
I was pretty excited when I caught that one after remembering you saying not many can say they catch one on their first go. The rabbit strip streamers I made up must've done the trick! :friendly_wink: I saw a good hatch in the early afternoon with some bow's rising but to be honest I was pretty hell bent on more Bulls haha. Question though, I fished between a half mile and about three miles downstream of Bridge 99. Is there any way to drive further downstream? Is the Bull trout fishing better on the lower half or upper half of the river?

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
RyanHill127 said:
Question though, I fished between a half mile and about three miles downstream of Bridge 99. Is there any way to drive further downstream? Is the Bull trout fishing better on the lower half or upper half of the river?
Whoa, now I'M interested in maybe hitting the Metolius this weekend; you're allowed to fish hardware as well as flies below the 99 Bridge. How difficult is the access to the water below that point, though? Anyone?

R
RyanHill127
The access didn't seem tough at all, it's an easy hike with a nice trail. I don't know how far it goes though and from my understanding eventually you hit the Indian Res? I couldn't see any roads that would take me further than Bridge 99?