Rough day on the bay.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Man, the bay was like boating in a a washing machine.
Not a lot of wind but the waves rolling in from the open ocean we pretty large and seemed to coming straight into the bay.
There were breakers stacking at the cribs and over the jetty all the way to the end of just shy of #7 tower.
So we set our trap line a little further up bay.
It was a slow pick requiring 5 pulls to harvest 20 crabs for our 6 traps.
There were a few nice size crabs to be had plus on that was easily 7''.
Lots of undersize and plenty of females but no big females among them, surprisingly.
Make me wonder if someone has been harvesting the big females as we usually get a number of disappointments when we check sex and find them big shells to be on the other sex.
But all the crabs we got were hard shells and were full so 20 crabs is a lot of crab meat.
Fishing was slow with only black about 2 lbs. and one pull that got off before I could tell what it was. Mostly, I think, because the rough water made it difficult to fish the structure. Or it may have just been too late in the day as we crabbed the low tide at 11:15 getting on the water just a little before 10AM and the hot bite (solunar table) was listed at sunrise.
and the days peak bite was supposed to at sunrise.

Last edited by a moderator:
G
Gulfstream
WITH ALL THE SURGE THE FISH AND CRAB HUNKER DOWN FOR SURE! 20 IS A GOOD DAY!

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
Gulfstream said:
WITH ALL THE SURGE THE FISH AND CRAB HUNKER DOWN FOR SURE! 20 IS A GOOD DAY!
Not complaining about the catch at all.
I was quite happy with our take.
Just wasn't expecting the water to be quite so rough.
At my age and condition, rough water really makes a hard day of it even though I just sit at the helm and position the boat all day.