Rouge bait rig

R
rippin fish lips
So i bought a couple of Rouge Bait Rigs for my springer trip coming up. We are gunna plunk. Rigging it looks and seems pretty simple, I know i am planning on rigging it up with anchovies.

I Just want to know, since i am on a mission and want info on this. have any of you Spring salmon fisher peoples :p used these before?? I talked to a guy and he said they work pretty good when rigged up right.

Also bought a K14 kwikfish and a k13x kwikfish to. As i am Looking forward to trying them out and rigging them with an anchovie wrap of tuna wrap??? Maybe even Try a herring wrap to.

I will be getting some spin and glows and want to get some prawns and eggs to put behind them and plunk to. You can't go wrong with a chartruese spin and glow or anything with green in it. I am going to buy all sizes mostly the bigger sizes as i kinda expect the water to be somehwat muddy. I am hoping it wont be muddy tho!!

Ok and one more question for this thread, I came to the idea that... a spin and glow with an anchovey rig after it would Have a big chance of hookin somethin. Have any of you heard of this been done? Or is there anyone here that has tried it and had success with it??

Last edited by a moderator:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Ive never used the luhr jenson store bought ones, was showed how to rig it up at the tackle shop in Gold Beach. Getting the slight arch in there back after rigging the leader through them is the main part, I recommend having a good bait threader, and when I push the threader through I always try and mash/jab the liver/innards of the fish to help it escape as scent.

I recommend staying with spinners/ anchovie-spinner rig in the lower river, as its my understanding its the main vice for that part of the river, and quickfish come to play more frequent further up the fishery.

Its also my understanding that 50/50 blades with brass, or all brass blades work well on the lower umqua.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwkiller
R
RunWithSasquatch
Im not sure what those nose pieces are, I assume they're using it to keep the mouth shut. I just use a hook on a slip knot to pull my arch in the back of the chovie. Ive only caught two fish on the rogue rig, and both got hooked on the leading slip hook. Ive never used a spin n glow, always blades, but it looks fishy to me.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Quite a while back I towed the boat to Gold Beach and Stayed at Jotts. It's the only time I ever fished the Rogue River. That's were I learned about the Rogue River rig. Did not get much of a chance to use it as the river blew out and they had a slide on the Illionis River that turned the Rogue to mud brown. I liked the Rogue River Rig though and brought some home. I used them on the Columbia with success. I changed the style a little and came up with a similar set up. I added a nose clip so I could use whole herring and get a good spin. As with the original rig I tied the mooching rig with the first hook as a slider so I could better match the bait. I dug out an original Luhr Jenson rig and one adaptation I made for pictures. Either rig can be fished while trolling or while at anchor rigged up to a three way spreader. Good luck to you, that river does produce some fine looking spring chinook.

They do make the nose clip for the anchovie but it does nothing for the spin, it's purpose is the keep the mouth of the fish shut as RWS suggest.

First Picture ..Luhr Jensen Rogue River rig Second picture is adaptaion.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Mooching rigs are not commonly used down there, for the whole bait fish troll, though I am sure it works. The point of the rig is to thread the leader material through the bait fish, starting by pushing your bait threader up the butt of the fish, and working it out the mouth, then hooking the tailing leader loop on the threader, and pulling it back through the fish, and back out the butt, then looping your treble on the leader.

Once done with that, you take your sliding hook through the lower jaw of the fish, up through the skull. so the point of the hook is exposed, then hooking the treble in the tail end of the fish, usually just past the butt, and a little rolled up the side. then pull tension through the sliding hook, giving a slight arch to the chovie/herring. To much arch and it will sail around like a boat prop, instead of the desired 'roll'. Make sure you check this before you drop your gear to the briney depths, because if it isn't rolling, you are wasting your time.

7 beads is the key number.

Here is one that I used down on the umpqua a week or so ago below scottsburg.

0106800001h.jpg

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
Ahh yes!! sweet!!! Since i am so stoked on this fishing trip and really want to get the friends into some spring salmon, I am going to make a list of what all you offers have givin me!! So far this has already helped soo much!!!

So no one really uses spin n glows on the umpqua???

R
RunWithSasquatch
I dont know that.

Im not a pro on that river, nor any river for that matter. What I know is, the river is up with heavy spring rain and low altitude snow melt, and if I were to fish it, I would use (within reason) what I thought would give me the most bling and attention. What I have seen is with the higher levels, guys are going with larger spinners instead of a spin rig, because of the thought it gives you more flash in the turbid water, and attaching scent, ie chovie fillet to the tailing treble of the spinner. If I were to go, I'd set a couple rods up with spinners, and a couple rods up with chovie spin rigs, and cross my fingers:pray:

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
Well that certainly is different than the rig I bought at Jots more than twenty years ago. They must have seen me coming. Thanks for the correction.

C
Chedster
rippin fish lips said:
Ahh yes!! sweet!!! Since i am so stoked on this fishing trip and really want to get the friends into some spring salmon, I am going to make a list of what all you offers have givin me!! So far this has already helped soo much!!!

So no one really uses spin n glows on the umpqua???

Rogue bait rigs work pretty well on the lower river, we use a version of the rig and also homemade spinners. You're also gonna want a heavy anchor setup if anchor fishing.

R
rippin fish lips
Ok heavy anchor setup is on the list of things i will need.
I hiope we can make it pretty cloe to scotts burg in the fiberglass outboard =/

C
Chedster
You should have no problem launching at Scottsburg with a prop, it seems to average 6-10' around the bridge but watch for rocks. We run a prop with no issues. You may be limited to how far up and down river you can run though. Sleds have the advantage for running more of the river. We were gonna fish tomorrow but are gonna wait for the water to lower a little. Good luck

R
rippin fish lips
Chedster said:
You should have no problem launching at Scottsburg with a prop, it seems to average 6-10' around the bridge but watch for rocks. We run a prop with no issues. You may be limited to how far up and down river you can run though. Sleds have the advantage for running more of the river. We were gonna fish tomorrow but are gonna wait for the water to lower a little. Good luck

Ok ok that makes me feel better. Yeah i always drive over the bridge and see the trail of boats. I will have to look up some more info of the river at scottsburg. And i will definetly walk on the bridge and scope things out. hopefully its clear enoguh!!

R
Razz
Now are you fishing the Rogue or just using the rig? If you are fishing the Umpqua something else may work better .

Last edited:
C
crusty old fisherman
your right on with the set up sasquatch.... the ones i make look about like yours only i had special colors painted for me before Gspot closed up shop. one thing i might add is that you really need that anchovie spinning like a pencil they like a real tight roll and as for the idea rippin had about a spin and glow tied into that set up you will find that anchovies are super sensitive if the blade isn't te right distance from the chovie it can mess up how it rolls in a big way...i wuld assume a spin and glow up there before a blade would just throw the whole thing out of whack and make it near impossible to get your chovie to spint right.

R
rippin fish lips
crusty old fisherman said:
your right on with the set up sasquatch.... the ones i make look about like yours only i had special colors painted for me before Gspot closed up shop. one thing i might add is that you really need that anchovie spinning like a pencil they like a real tight roll and as for the idea rippin had about a spin and glow tied into that set up you will find that anchovies are super sensitive if the blade isn't te right distance from the chovie it can mess up how it rolls in a big way...i wuld assume a spin and glow up there before a blade would just throw the whole thing out of whack and make it near impossible to get your chovie to spint right.

yeah

R
Razz
Hint Brad's cut plug have been out fishing anchovies yes just like the Brads @ B 10

B
Bullitt
So that is the rig those guys are using down there. Wish I'da seen this a couple weeks ago.

Someone mentioned a heavy anchor...you'll want what I call the "popeye" style up there. A regular rocking chair doesn't cut it at all.