Rooster Tails - love em or hate em?

Rooster Tails - love em or hate em?

• Total voters
N
nyersa
So, I've had some success using rooster tails in the past, and picked some up a couple days ago from the local BiMart. Bought four, but the blades wont spin on any of them. Have others noticed this happening, or am I doing something wrong? I grabbed a couple blue fox vibrax at the same time and they worked great...

M
Mike123
This is why I HATE 'em. You really gotta snap your rod to get the blades going. Try taking your pliers and bending the tip of the blade out just a hair. If you fishing for trout, nothing beats a Panther martin. Blades always spin.

Reactions: Grant22
T
Throbbit _Shane
Mike123 said:
This is why I HATE 'em. You really gotta snap your rod to get the blades going. Try taking your pliers and bending the tip of the blade out just a hair. If you fishing for trout, nothing beats a Panther martin. Blades always spin.

I agree with this man about panther martins. i rarely use rooster tails, but most of the time to get them to spin u gotta give the rod a good jerk.

S
SmallStreams
Bend the blade. It's why I actually prefer Bangtails, because the Bangtails have a heavier blade; Bangtail drawbacks are the lack of choice in sizes and lack of a good distribution network. Panther Martins are definitely the most reliable for spinning and hold up better when fishing the riffles where you're bouncing off the rocks -- that's when the Rooster Tails' epoxy body breaks up.

N
nyersa
Where is a good place to pick up the Panther Martins?

M
Moe
Anywhere that sells fishing gear.

T
Thuggin4Life
Try bending the blade. rooster tails are the same as the used to be but if you tweak the blade they will run better. sometimes you still have to give them a good tug to get them going.

troutdude
troutdude
I have C & R'd as many as 60 fish in a day, with a Rooster Tail. I just let it drop a bit, give a good tug to get the blade rollin' and wait for a strike.

However, I do wish that LUHR JENSEN would get a clue and fix that problem!

N
northwestrob
The Rooster Tail lure is made by Worden's Lures. The Bang Tail is made by Luhr Jensen. You can find Bang Tails at Dick's Sporting Goods. Dick's took over many of the former GI Joe's sites.

troutdude
troutdude
Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks for the correction.

I wonder why Worden's has never altered their design, so the blades spin correctly? I would think that their sales volume would increase dramatically if they did!

troutdude
troutdude
I just sent Worden's "the question". I really want to find out, why they don't fix the blade problem with their Rooster Tail's?

It should, I think, be a pretty simple alteration.

Now am waiting for a response from Worden's. I'll post the outcome on here, when it arrives.

L
Left Bank
I enjoy both roostertails and panther martins. I agree that you need to give a good tug on the roosters but I love em. They have brought many a dinner home.

Troutski
Troutski
Classic Lure

Classic Lure

I've never had a problem with Rooster Tails not spinning, I use them quite a bit; I guess it is a personal choice. I do recommend them straight out of the box-minis the barbs, I do bend them back for perfect catch and release.
Within my small group of anglers you are not allowed to tie a Rooster Tail on unless you are looking at a skunk....then and only then are you allowed a Rooster Tail, my favorite color and size is 1/4 oz and smaller; the color is Salmon Fly Brown.
Tight lines and enjoy your time on the water.

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
You really need to expand your fishing horizons Chuck. Your current stack of fishing "friends" aint' being very friendly, if they'll only let you use your weapon of choice as a last resort! Sheesh. I'd dump "that kind" of friend in a New York minute! :naughty::naughty::naughty::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););)

G
GrillMaster
Hey, I be one of those friends. They just work to well to be the first lure of choice on the water we choose, especially for Troutski:rolleyes:;) he shouldn't be allowed to use them:lol:

GM

troutdude
troutdude
I wondered if my comment would pull someone up and out of the proverbial woodwork. :lol::lol:

Sounds like Troutski is dangerous wif dem Rooster Tails! :shock:

T
Troutier Bassier
Rooster Tails fail. The ones they used to make were good and the blades actualy spun. Now with all this UV crap.... nope.

Blue Fox!!!!

S
SmallStreams
I'm going to try swapping blades on some rooster tails. I've always been more fond of the flash from hammered colorado blades, so will see if I can swap them on... at the rate I was losing lures last year, I can easily afford to sacrifice a few to Frankenstein experiments :)

Yes, this is the slippery slope to making my own spinners from components. Wonder how long I can resist that?

troutdude
troutdude
I always swap and put BIGGER blades, on my Wedding Ring spinners. So, it ought to work w/ Rooster Tails too.

K
Kais
I have only caight one fish OFF of a rooster tail in the hundreds of casts I have used them. Am I doing something wrong. I used to hate them, But after I caught that one it felt pretty good. Any tips? Am I doing something wrong