Rogue River Trout???

A
Ariel&Jared12
hey everyone im new to rogue river trout fishing and was curious of what part of the rogue they are at this time of year, im in medford and im hoping there close, old gold ray dam maybe??? someone please let me know cause i really want to go today, thanks.

P.S
I dont have $$$ for a steely/salmon tag so thats why I need info on where the trout are :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D

N
nwkiller
They should be all over the river just check the rules 4 that specific part of the river....good luck let us know how u did

A
Ariel&Jared12
awesome thanks! where do i find the rules at?

N
nwkiller
Go to ODFW.com look 4 fishing regulations

A
Ariel&Jared12
k thanks for the info i appreciate it

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Agree. Read the regulations FIRST. It looks like most of the river is CLOSED for trout fishing right now. (I just read through my hard copy of the reg book).

Welcome to OFF!

A
Ariel&Jared12
k cool, ya i just went and saw that its closed till may 28th so soon, looks like ill be lake fishing for now haha. thanks guys

M
Mad dog
Ariel&Jared12 said:
hey everyone im new to rogue river trout fishing and was curious of what part of the rogue they are at this time of year, im in medford and im hoping there close, old gold ray dam maybe??? someone please let me know cause i really want to go today, thanks.

P.S
I dont have $$$ for a steely/salmon tag so thats why I need info on where the trout are :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D

Fish upstream from Shady cove all the way to the Hatchery hole deadline in june. They will begin releasing some planters directly into the river from the hatchery by the start of summer. Plus, there are some really beautiful natives up there that get considerably bigger! They get reckless when the Salmonfly hatch begins and the water warms a bit. My sons would tire of salmon fishing by mid-morning and pick up their flyrods and hammer the trout! They have caught some beautiful 16-18" natives on salmonfly dries. You might try the hatchery hole near the end of june, a lot of the time the salmon fisherman thin out around mid day and you can get in there and fish small dark nymphs about 4-6 ft under a clear float, use light leaders. Small pieces of night crawler work well also. Pretty easy to catch a limit of planters if you want them.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Trout fishing above lost creek will open soon

T
Throbbit _Shane
I honestly wouldnt fish the Rogue for trout unless you are fly fishing, or fishing above lost creek lake. Most fish you will catch will be smolts and might look like trout but arnt. If you want some places that are good for keeping trout around the area ill name a few, Hyatt, Howard Prarie, Lost Creek Res, Willow Lake, Medco Pond, Emigrant lake.

If you get your steelhead tags i wouldnt mind showing you some stuff on how to catch steelhead. Its really not as hard as some make it out to be :D

Mad Dog. Im pretty sure they stopped stocking trout beneath the dam. So the only trout you'll catch will be wild. or steelhead or steelhead smolts.

PS> If its over 16inches below the dam. its considered a steelhead and must be tagged or released. If you fish the rogue you'll run into a lot of fish this size, they are called Half Pounders. Fun to catch on lite gear.

Last edited:
E
eat, sleep, fish
Mad dog said:
Fish upstream from Shady cove all the way to the Hatchery hole deadline in june. They will begin releasing some planters directly into the river from the hatchery by the start of summer. Plus, there are some really beautiful natives up there that get considerably bigger! They get reckless when the Salmonfly hatch begins and the water warms a bit. My sons would tire of salmon fishing by mid-morning and pick up their flyrods and hammer the trout! They have caught some beautiful 16-18" natives on salmonfly dries. You might try the hatchery hole near the end of june, a lot of the time the salmon fisherman thin out around mid day and you can get in there and fish small dark nymphs about 4-6 ft under a clear float, use light leaders. Small pieces of night crawler work well also. Pretty easy to catch a limit of planters if you want them.

Those hatchery fish aren't trout. They are salmon and steelhead smolts and if you're wanting to keep fish, they need to be left alone. If you're wanting trout to keep there's plenty of lakes and ponds close by stocked with trout. If you want really good eating trout though, head up to Hyatt, Howard Praire, or Diamond Lake. The trout in those lakes have a tasty deep orange meat due to the fresh water shrimp.