Rogue River Carp

X
XFactorTackle
I'm not exactly a Carp fisherman, but I caught this one in the Rogue River at Griffin Park. It weighed 6 lbs and fought pretty hard, lots of fun to catch.

Anyone else catch a Carp in the Rogue before?

• RogueRiverCarp2.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
T
Throbbit _Shane
what did u get it on? iv never caught one before...

X
XFactorTackle
Throbbit _Shane said:
what did u get it on? iv never caught one before...

One of my Natural color Miracle Worms, under a float. I've heard of Carp and Bass in the Rogue, mostly from private ponds being flooded and spilling into the river. It was a big surprise to me, that's for sure.

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
XFactorTackle said:
One of my Natural color Miracle Worms, under a float. I've heard of Carp and Bass in the Rogue, mostly from private ponds being flooded and spilling into the river. It was a big surprise to me, that's for sure.

theres tons of carp in the sloughs of the river im sure in the slower waters theyre all over that also, nobody targets them in the river so it doesn't surprise me most people think theyre really rare, i remember there used to be bowfishing guide services out of the kelley slough above gold rey dam thats how plentiful they were in that area, really large carp also....20lbs+ and im sure some much much bigger than that.

X
XFactorTackle
colbypearson said:
theres tons of carp in the sloughs of the river im sure in the slower waters theyre all over that also, nobody targets them in the river so it doesn't surprise me most people think theyre really rare, i remember there used to be bowfishing guide services out of the kelley slough above gold rey dam thats how plentiful they were in that area, really large carp also....20lbs+ and im sure some much much bigger than that.

That's cool. That 6 pounder was fun, I bet a 20lb carp would be really fun.

F
fredaevans
colbypearson said:

Interesting comment. First I've ever heard/read a comment with the word Carp and Rogue connected. I assume they must have been an 'introduced' fish?

fae

X
XFactorTackle
fredaevans said:
Interesting comment. First I've ever heard/read a comment with the word Carp and Rogue connected. I assume they must have been an 'introduced' fish?

fae

That's exactly why I posted it up here, just curious who else might have caught one on accident.

D
Drew9870
Thats crazy, I couldn't imagine how a Carp would fight after it has built up so much muscle from swimming up the Rogue.

Out of all the places, who would've thought the Rogue River.

C
colbypearson
Drew9870 said:
Thats crazy, I couldn't imagine how a Carp would fight after it has built up so much muscle from swimming up the Rogue.

Out of all the places, who would've thought the Rogue River.

well after taking the dams out its a little less suited but imagine all the slow moving water that was backed up behind gold rey and savage rapids dam above...... savage rapids especially it was like a small lake with slow current people used to waterski on it all the time to know theres carp in there really doesn't surprise me one bit, im sure there will be a decline now that the dams are out but the rogue river now is a lot different thatn it was just a few years ago there is still countless sloughs and backwater from above white city to past grants pass and beyond.

D
Drew9870
That is one part of the state I have seen the least of, only fished the Rogue twice, I will have to tell my buddy who moved to Medford, he is familiar with that area and should know the areas you are talking about, I'll visit him next month, he lives close to Central Point, how far is this from Griffin Park and the dams? Longboarding distance? :D.

I think it will be during Spring Break, are you going to be on the water around this time Colby? Maybe you could show us a couple hot spots?

C
colbypearson
Drew9870 said:
That is one part of the state I have seen the least of, only fished the Rogue twice, I will have to tell my buddy who moved to Medford, he is familiar with that area and should know the areas you are talking about, I'll visit him next month, he lives close to Central Point, how far is this from Griffin Park and the dams? Longboarding distance? :D.

I think it will be during Spring Break, are you going to be on the water around this time Colby? Maybe you could show us a couple hot spots?

dude i can show you some of the biggest carp in the state within 5 miles of central point at a handful of places :D

F
fredaevans
Now that would be darned interesting.

Now that would be darned interesting.

colbypearson said:
dude i can show you some of the biggest carp in the state within 5 miles of central point at a handful of places :D

Post several places (Sigh .. don't Google my name, it's the same everywhere) and 'Carp and Southern Oregon' has never come up that I can remember. Would love to have a bit more of 'where' as going after them with a fly rod sounds like a total hoot.

Lots of the fellows I correspond with in the UK really do a lot of that (and there are some hellasish utube bits on this) so the 'how' is pretty straight forward .. the 'where' is a different question.:pray:

Fred

T
Throbbit _Shane
Try the expo pond behind the amphitheater. some big ones in there. and its the least pressured of the ponds.

C
colbypearson
Throbbit _Shane said:
Try the expo pond behind the amphitheater. some big ones in there. and its the least pressured of the ponds.

yea that pond has lots of fish up to 20lbs but the true giants i see are cruising the other ponds where the population density is much less but i see a handful a year in the other ponds that are honestly pushing 40lbs when they catch you off guard they give you chills, i know a 40lb carp is like a "yea right, sure kid" situation but i have put in more time out there any anyone in the last few years i have seen my fair share of carpzilla's........

F
fredaevans
Throbbit _Shane said:

I'll be danged! Who knew??

fae

C
colbypearson
fredaevans said:
I'll be danged! Who knew??

fae

every local pond dang near has a solid population of carp

X
XFactorTackle
colbypearson said:
yea that pond has lots of fish up to 20lbs but the true giants i see are cruising the other ponds where the population density is much less but i see a handful a year in the other ponds that are honestly pushing 40lbs when they catch you off guard they give you chills, i know a 40lb carp is like a "yea right, sure kid" situation but i have put in more time out there any anyone in the last few years i have seen my fair share of carpzilla's........

How do those big pond carp fight? People think I'm joking when I tell them about the one I caught, it truly fought hard. We thought it was a jack Chinook at first. If they all fight like that, you might find me hunting some carp this year.

C
colbypearson
XFactorTackle said:
How do those big pond carp fight? People think I'm joking when I tell them about the one I caught, it truly fought hard. We thought it was a jack Chinook at first. If they all fight like that, you might find me hunting some carp this year.

i have only got one and it fought hard im sure the rest do too they are really strong fish people always assume things about fish when theyre really wrong when you look at the body of a fish you can really see what its meant for, carp are solid fighters and i couldnt blame you for targeting more its something i plan on doing as well this spring :)

X
XFactorTackle
colbypearson said:
i have only got one and it fought hard im sure the rest do too they are really strong fish people always assume things about fish when theyre really wrong when you look at the body of a fish you can really see what its meant for, carp are solid fighters and i couldnt blame you for targeting more its something i plan on doing as well this spring :)

That's encouraging to hear Colby. Personally, I like to fish for anything that puts up a solid fight. I wonder if they are active at expo pond this time of year? Only one way to find out I guess.

C
colbypearson
XFactorTackle said:
That's encouraging to hear Colby. Personally, I like to fish for anything that puts up a solid fight. I wonder if they are active at expo pond this time of year? Only one way to find out I guess.

im going there today but not for carp.... talk to me in a few weeks of warm weather i can tell you where i see the big ones... i regularly see schools in the spring in the only good spawning grounds getting ready to make beds i will see schools of 50 carp between 5 and 35-40+lbs the ones in the school are normally small but the really big ones cruise the outsides its really a site to see