Rogue report

C
Cohosanders
Went down to Grants Pass last weekend and went to Griffin Park on Saturday for 2 hours. Saw some fish roll, but no takers for me or anyone I talked to. Hit up the same spot the next day and caught an 11 inch trout. Saw some guys catch about 20 squaw fish and 1 person on a boat battling what looked to be a nice steelhead. Talked to one other boat the got into some fish, but was rather slow all around. Ended up going up past Hog Creek to some beautiful looking water where I had absolutely no takers. 1 boat drifted buy that had caught a hatchery and native steely and one other boat with no luck. The rogue is an awesome river and I look forward to fishing and catching next time. The weather was phenomenal and the wife, kids and dogs had an awesome time:D

E
eggs
I am taking the wife and dog there this weekend.. not the report I was hoping for but maybe this rain will change some things.... fish on or not it will be a nice weekend.. staying in some fancy B&B in galice and plan to fish all the water around there.. bring some good roe and sandshrimp, some fishy jigs, and some yarn...

H
Hawk
The Rogue is a very mysterious, powerful, beautiful river with many Great Wonders of Nature in it's waters & living along it's banks ...

:lol::lol::lol:

:cool::cool::cool:

C
Cohosanders
eggs said:
I am taking the wife and dog there this weekend.. not the report I was hoping for but maybe this rain will change some things.... fish on or not it will be a nice weekend.. staying in some fancy B&B in galice and plan to fish all the water around there.. bring some good roe and sandshrimp, some fishy jigs, and some yarn...

Everything down there looks fishy and there is definitely a nice mix of hatchery and native fish. There is a great stretch in the Galice area from Hog Creek towards the coast and a bridge a few miles past that that looked awesome. Havr fun and give us a report when you get back.

S
steelhead_stalkers
The Rogue has been on fire this winter with some of the highest counts of winter steelhead in over 10 years! Its kind of hard to fish it from shore though in the winter unless you are way up river. The applegate is the best bet right now! Should be some great fishing in the next two months.

E
eggs
I will scout the rogue on the way to galice... if nothing good from the bank then its off to the applegate something I know nothing about..

Last edited:
K
kfallscody
I am planning on heading over to the Rogue River tomorrow. I am not sure how the upper rogue is fishing but I will most likely be at Casey Park. Not sure where else to go in the persuit of steelhead as I don't know the area very well. Any tips are appreciated! :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
If casey isn't working for you just a little down the road id try Mcgregor or the hatchery. But the hatchery might be a little crazy, i drove by there last sunday and it was. There might be less of a crowd near Tou Velle. Im either fishing or helping my friend with work saturday. Id like to fish it again seeing as i bought the dam tag LOL :) Iv only try'd once this year.

K
kfallscody
THanks for the info! I had never heard of Tou Velle but a quick google maps search revealed the location. :) I think i might head there first then go upstream if needed. Time to give these Steelhead stalkers jigs a try! :)

E
eggs
I got skunked yesterday with a big catch of 3 sucker fish... fished from rand - hellsgate.. 1 boat had 2 other then that nothing seen

H
Hawk
Thar are lots of gold claims on the creeks nearby.

M
metalfisher76
steelhead_stalkers said:
The Rogue has been on fire this winter with some of the highest counts of winter steelhead in over 10 years! Its kind of hard to fish it from shore though in the winter unless you are way up river. The applegate is the best bet right now! Should be some great fishing in the next two months.

Talked to a guy @ a fly shop waaaay up. He say`s the reason for the high counts this year was a surge of late summers that pushed through in Jan.:confused:. I mean that`s late. He says other wise the counts are at or just short of normal for the last 10 years. Not sure if he pegged me for an outta towner or what, nice guy. I fished the Slide Hole to no avail. The weather was great and the fishing was a bonus to a road trip with buddies.

R
ryno28
kfallscody said:
I am planning on heading over to the Rogue River tomorrow. I am not sure how the upper rogue is fishing but I will most likely be at Casey Park. Not sure where else to go in the persuit of steelhead as I don't know the area very well. Any tips are appreciated! :)

oh man if you are going up that far you should hit the holes right below the dam i have always had good luck there if you ask some one that fishes there ask them about the chief hole and mcgager park those are good spots to check out. well hope this helps and good luck post the pics you get.
ryno28

E
eggs
Hawk said:
Thar are lots of gold claims on the creeks nearby.

I was wondering if you could fish tribs in the area but didn't get a solid answer so I didn't bother.. I really liked the water are Rand... really nice bend w/ soft inside and steel outside... 6-8 feet deep.. tad faster then walking pace current.. BIG rapid at the top.. great long tailout.. pebble bottom.. but no steel just sucker! I was suprised I didn't get into anything after all if your catching suckers yout down where the steel is, I have always done good with steel when I catch suckers at the same hole/slot..

S
steelhead_stalkers
metalfisher76 said:
Talked to a guy @ a fly shop waaaay up. He say`s the reason for the high counts this year was a surge of late summers that pushed through in Jan.:confused:. I mean that`s late. He says other wise the counts are at or just short of normal for the last 10 years. Not sure if he pegged me for an outta towner or what, nice guy. I fished the Slide Hole to no avail. The weather was great and the fishing was a bonus to a road trip with buddies.

I do not know how they would know if they were late summers in Jan. Normally they just stop one count and start the next. Plus if the hatchery can tell the difference, which I am not sure if they can, those fish would not be at the hatchery until now or even later. I think the guy does not know what he is talking about, he is a fly fisherman you know! :lol:

I have a few friends who live down there and they have been hooking a lot of fish this winter in the middle river. There are definitely more fish in the river this year than in years past. ;)

M
metalfisher76
steelhead_stalkers said:
I do not know how they would know if they were late summers in Jan. Normally they just stop one count and start the next. Plus if the hatchery can tell the difference, which I am not sure if they can, those fish would not be at the hatchery until now or even later. I think the guy does not know what he is talking about, he is a fly fisherman you know! :lol:

I have a few friends who live down there and they have been hooking a lot of fish this winter in the middle river. There are definitely more fish in the river this year than in years past. ;)

Dam fly guys!!!!:lol: I know, it didn`t sound right to me either.

H
Hawk
eggs said:
I was wondering if you could fish tribs in the area but didn't get a solid answer so I didn't bother.. I really liked the water are Rand... really nice bend w/ soft inside and steel outside... 6-8 feet deep.. tad faster then walking pace current.. BIG rapid at the top.. great long tailout.. pebble bottom.. but no steel just sucker! I was suprised I didn't get into anything after all if your catching suckers yout down where the steel is, I have always done good with steel when I catch suckers at the same hole/slot..

Over the lustrums we've had a lot of fun exploring some of these drainage areas & done some rafting on the Rogue. Although i do most of my fishin' in lakes & ponds.

The laws for fishin' the rivers & creeks changes reel often.

In past years i've caught & released rainbow trout (some had red sides but not yet considered steel), cutthroat, squaw, sucker fish in grave, coyote, wolf, cow creeks, etc. Some of the creeks, i don't even know the names.

Have a Great Day Bro.

:D