Rogue rafting and fishing

G
gordo
Hey everyone,
My buddy and I are kayaking the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue this Thursday-Sunday. It's mostly a float trip, but of course I can't leave my fishing gear behind! It's only gonna be bank fishing with spinners and maybe a spoon or two, but does anyone have any advice on this section of the river, or are there holes you really like?

Our put in is either Grave Creek or Almeda Bar near Galice, and the take out is at Foster Bar near Agness. Water temp seems to be near 48F - 52F, give or take a little.

Thanks for any advice!

B
beaverfan
Man that sounds like a blast!

G
ghostcow
I have no idea, but... take some pictures and post them here as I would love to see them. Have a great trip I'm totally jealous!

S
steelhead_stalkers
If you are fishing out of a raft you can drag yarn balls down river and catch lots of fish. The best water is at and below paradise lodge. There are some good holes before and just after rainy falls as well. Good luck, I hope you know what you are doing in the kayak. :)

B
Basser@Heart
I took that trip a couple years ago, its a blast running that river in inflatables! Can't say I did much good fishing, just got whooped by a salmon on my trout gear! Haha watch out for bears, we saw quite a few and they didn't seem as friendly as Poo. :)

R
RvrRat
DRY CLOTHES !!!!!! FIRE STARTER !!!!! Steel head should be quite few up there stalkers right paradise down has some great water.But keep your eye's open all the way down there's a lot of nice spots your going to have a blast!!!!!

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
They do not call it " THE WILD and SENIC" for nothing

They do not call it " THE WILD and SENIC" for nothing

Do not leave food near the ground as the bears will seek it out. I used a hammock and tied it off high. Scout the rapids before you enter them, if you can. The Rouge River Ranch is right above entering Mule Creek Canyon. There is someone that lives there if you need someone, plus a road to get out. After Mule Creek Canyon there will be a lull before Blossem Bar. On the right side above the Bar is an overlook. Stop and check for logs and the way through. Goodluck and Go Balls on the Wall!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

G
gordo
Thanks everyone. We tore up the Rogue. :D

Well, truth be told, we tore up the Rogue for 0.2 miles, and then the Rogue tore us up for the next 0.2 miles! :lol:

Long, long, long story short, we had plenty of safety precautions in place including plans to portage around the class IV water, but we ended up scrapping the trip 0.4 miles below Grave Creek after cruising through Grave Creek Riffle, but getting tossed in Grave Creek Falls in my inflatable kayak. We've run plenty of class III in this IK before without issue (it's an Aire Strike II), but with all of our additional gear packed in the back for the 4 day trip, we were just too weighed down to make any moves in the water. My paddling partner is also a bit gun shy from getting tossed because of a scare he's had in the past that hasn't left his memory yet.
In the end, we decided it would be a rough, wet 4 days that we weren't really looking forward to, so we decided to swap it for a couple of days camping and hiking in the surrounding Siskiyous near the South Fork Coquille. That area is really beautiful to say the least.

Anyway, I'm determined more than ever to run the Rogue now, but I would prefer better weather (it rained hard at times 3 out of the 4 days we were down there), a raft (unless I can OFFload all our gear from the IK), and maybe a few warmer days. All in due time, but until then, safety first...

R
RvrRat
safety is number one

safety is number one

Graves crk can be an eye opener!!!!!! you guys need a gear boat or cut your gear down to back pack gear.It would have been wet and cold trip no matter what kind of boat or gear. Safety first!!!! We do the rogue a couple times a year, we call it a float bloat eat good drink good .