Roe? Why???

T
the salmon kid
Ive been fishing in the rogue with roe for many years and have caught many salmon, steel head and coho but,,, I know that salmon stop eating when they get to fresh water
.. so.. why do i keep getting them on roe?,, most salmon after i get them home and cut them open there is nothing inside their stomaches because they are closed up ,,,,so.why do they eat roe:confused::think::think::confused:

S
steelheadstalker31
I've heard that they hit roe to ensure that the eggs are destroyed so that their genetics live on and the other fishes do not.

M
Mike123
I've heard that too. Also heard they want the nutrients they are lacking for egg production. I know steelhead eat in the rivers cause I've found all kinds of things in their bellies. Especially summers. Maybe the salmon are still really hungry but just cannot physically eat. That's my theory.

N
nwkiller
ive heard they pick it up and carry it back up river to ensure the survival.....its an opinion

S
SantiamDrifter
They feen for the nurtients, Thats why they are considered chemical junkies.

T
the salmon kid
i think that steelheadstalker31 is right:think: it sounds plausible because Ive been salmon fishing in clear water and i can see the salmon very clearly,, every time i see one go for the roe and hit it, all they are doing is smashing it up and then spitting it out :think:
and thats how i lose fish sometimes,, so that makes sense,, but like Mike123 said that they get the nutrients .. how:confused: ,,they cannot swallow the eggs.. well unless they absorb it through their gills that makes a little sense,, but thanks guys for the info,,..
every time ive been out fishing i never really stopped and thaught about it.,, guess i was too buisy fishing:lol:

T
tnffishman
I have heard some fisherman say they are destroying the eggs to give theirs a better chance to survuve. But I saw a show on tv that said they grab it to carry it to slower water where they can hatch, kinda like what nwkiller was sayin

kirkster
kirkster
I can't even figure out why most of the human beings in this world do the #@*: they do.