Cracked rod

P
plunkme
so I went fishing yesterday with my ugly stick and I threw out my bait and the line broke along with that the other half of my pole this is the 2nd shakespear that has gone to waste anyone recommend any rods? I was thinking lemanglass

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
What the hell... Were they cracked? Do you remember anything hitting either one of them in the past? Were you snagged up and pulling on it when it cracked or were you just casting? Either way, a rod should not just buckle under those amounts of pressure. Even if you were yanking on it trying to get out of a snag, as long as you were using the appropriate line for the rod and had your drag set correctly there is no reason they should be breaking like that.... If anything go to Bimart and try a different brand. Maybe a graphite.

P
plunkme
ope no crack or nothing it was a two piece so it must of just slide off

18406ej
18406ej
It costs a little more, but I have had good luck with Shimano rods (the Clarus Series) from Sportsman's Warehouse. If you break it, by any means, including shutting it in your car door, return it for a lifetime free replacement.

H
Hanapaa
i agree with ej. the clarus rod is awesome. The backbone is flexible and durable, which is awesome for steel and salmon. It responds well when being fished, that is it gives you great feel and control. Like ej said, lifetime replacement for any reason at the store (no need to send it in to the manufacture and wait). That being said, make sure you get it from a retailer that you know will be around for a while.

J
JTLunker
The same goes for The Berkely IM& Ramsey series at JOES. Thats is what they told me at least.

Troutski
Troutski
Rods and reels...

Rods and reels...

One thing I have learned throughout my short fishing career is that the fish don't have a clue what type of gear you are using...;) Only your wallet does. But lord help me; I just love those G.Loomis rods paired up with a Shimano reels. So yes my wallet is empty :rolleyes:

Chuck

H
Hanapaa
JTLunker said:
The same goes for The Berkely IM& Ramsey series at JOES. Thats is what they told me at least.

I have a berkley IM7 ramsey and it is very nice, but not quite the same backbone as the clarus. I love both, but the clarus gives me a better feel for the bite (I still miss a lot though :D) and a better fight. Berkley is a great rod for the price, but I'd still go with the clarus if i could afford it.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Troutski said:
But lord help me; I just love those G.Loomis rods paired up with a Shimano reels. So yes my wallet is empty :rolleyes:

Chuck

Yeah haha G Loomis makes some nice stuff.

O
Osprey
I've had real good luck with Fenwick, but can't afford them anymore. I now use the Buzz Ramsey rods and like them very much...but I have found they don't have the backbone of the Fenwicks.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Don't you mean "reel" good luck? ;)

P
plunkme
lol gloomis man i was looking at them really nice rod but my wallet will be empty when i walk out the door with that thing, i have a lamiglas for salmon bank fishing when i plunk about 12.7' so light too i love it so i was thinking about finding a lamiglas... i wonder if they have warranties for casting the 2nd half of your rod into the river:think: maybe ill have to look at the clarus series seems like a lot of you guys like it
thanks for the help guys

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I can't believe what bad luck that was haha, your line breaks, on a cast, and just then your rod decides to part itself. A while back I posted some Bill Dance bloopers and that would be right there with them. :confused: If you look around you can get a really nice graphite for 40 or fifty bucks.

P
plunkme
do you guys think using a spinning reel and a casting reel on spinning rod is ok? or are they built differently? i know some of the casting rods have a little figure spot but is that the only difference?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The eyes on a spinning real are higher up and larger, so if you try to place a casting real on a spinning rod you will lose distance due to friction, and seeing as how the line will go up from the reel than have to go back down after it passes the first guide you might bend the eye down if you get a large fish on.
Casting rods have a little piece that drops down on the bottom that you put your first finger in front of to help you hold onto the rod. If you are the type that places your first finger in front the beam that attaches your spinning reel to your rod, you are going to miss not having this to hold onto when using a casting rod.
Rods have what they call a spine. To tell you the truth all I know that the spine needs to be either on top or on the bottom of the rod. I don't know how crucial it is, but my worry is that bending this "spine" the wrong way (backwards if you flipped a spinning rod upside down) it might weaken your rod but I don't know.
Rods are made for certain reels for certain reasons, I don't think using a spinning rod for a casting reel would be a good thing. Just find a nice quality rod at a good price for the reel it was meant for.

H
Hanapaa
Well, the spine or backbone gives the rod its bend and flexibility. On a spinning rod, it is opposite of the guides and it is on the same side as the guides for a casting rod. My old neighbor from Hawaii, who used to build rods, told me that the backbone must be on top when fished. Otherwise, the rod will twist and turn in order to get it on top. That being said, putting a baitcaster on a spinning rod would cause the rod undue stress.

F
FishSchooler
I've had recent horrible probs with my baitcaster (reel), it takes me a while to get "warmed up" and it keeps nesting until I actually get "warmed up"... Now, I want to use my spinning reel for steels and cohos, but the spinnin rod is only 7 feet, baitcaster is 8.5 ft, if the baitcaster is bad for a spinnin cause it backlashes more, is the spinnin bad for the baitcaster cause it can't backlash...

Troutski
Troutski
Practice...

Practice...

FishSchooler said:
I've had recent horrible probs with my baitcaster (reel), it takes me a while to get "warmed up" and it keeps nesting until I actually get "warmed up"... Now, I want to use my spinning reel for steels and cohos, but the spinnin rod is only 7 feet, baitcaster is 8.5 ft, if the baitcaster is bad for a spinnin cause it backlashes more, is the spinnin bad for the baitcaster cause it can't backlash...

Practice, practice,practice and more practice....the only real way to become an expert with that type of reel is practice. There is some fine tuning that can be done on bait casing reels them selves to help elevate some of the inherent problems during casting. Most reels have an adjustment on the side of the reel that allows you to adjust how fast the spool will spin, which in turn keeps it from spinning once your lure has stop moving. After you become more adept in the timing of the cast you can then loosen that same same adjustment point and little by little you will then get longer and more accurate cast; but it still comes down to practice, practice...practice. Heck even spinning reels have a tendency to nest after a couple hundred cast and retrievals. Stick with the bait caster reel until you get a hold on it and you will learn to really appreciate it.
I do use my spinning gear 90 % of the time; but I can still pull my Ambassador 6501 out and within a few minutes have the knack back and hit a 5 # coffee can from 30 yards without a nest.

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
Yes, getting the right tension on the spool is easy, but for some reason, it nests half the time. Like I cast, it's goin smooth then all of a sudden I feel the jerk on the rod and then the bait/lure just falls and the line doesn't come out any more. There's still line on the reel and there is nothing that I could see that would make the spool just stop. Why it was happening half of the time got me even more... And after the spool just jerked, a nest magically appeared... :think::shock:

Troutski
Troutski
What brand...

What brand...

FishSchooler said:
Yes, getting the right tension on the spool is easy, but for some reason, it nests half the time. Like I cast, it's goin smooth then all of a sudden I feel the jerk on the rod and then the bait/lure just falls and the line doesn't come out any more. There's still line on the reel and there is nothing that I could see that would make the spool just stop. Why it was happening half of the time got me even more... And after the spool just jerked, a nest magically appeared... :think::shock:

What brand and style of baitcasting reel are you using...?

Chuck