Cracked rod

H
Hawk
FishSchooler said:
Yes, getting the right tension on the spool is easy, but for some reason, it nests half the time. Like I cast, it's goin smooth then all of a sudden I feel the jerk on the rod and then the bait/lure just falls and the line doesn't come out any more. There's still line on the reel and there is nothing that I could see that would make the spool just stop. Why it was happening half of the time got me even more... And after the spool just jerked, a nest magically appeared... :think::shock:

Little Bro, practice stopping your line with your thumb before you get a backlash................

I have 17lb line on my 6500c.........................but i cast fer BASS in heavy wood..........................................:lol::lol::lol:

Catch a Big'UN...............................:D

C
chris61182
FishSchooler said:
Yes, getting the right tension on the spool is easy, but for some reason, it nests half the time. Like I cast, it's goin smooth then all of a sudden I feel the jerk on the rod and then the bait/lure just falls and the line doesn't come out any more. There's still line on the reel and there is nothing that I could see that would make the spool just stop. Why it was happening half of the time got me even more... And after the spool just jerked, a nest magically appeared... :think::shock:

What line are you using? Sometimes braid will do something called digging in. The line is so slippery against itself and such a small diameter to begin with that under tension the "surface" line in your reel can get pulled underneath the lower layers. This will usually be most pronounced after fighting a hot fish or you've just pulled free from a snag, though it can also happen anytime just not usually as bad.

The easiest way to handle this problem is bump up your braid until it's diameter is closer to what your reel was designed for (how close is a matter of personal preference), of course this usually leaves you fishing some majorly over powered line for your application but is the quickest and easiest way of dealing with digging in.

F
FishSchooler
17 lb sufix siege, smoke green color, not braided... and when I pulled on a snag, the 17lb broke before my 10 lb leader... :shock: I probably had a bad knick in it... oh yeah, I use a amb 6500... it kinda big for my hands... :lol: At bonneville and clack, I could cast fine...

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have only had one problem with Siege, it was from an old run, that sat on the shelf for over a year. Otherwise it is some of the best leader material I have ever used. I ran it as a mainline for a while, but for it is better suited as a leader material...About your breakage. It has an abrasion resistant coating on the line to help negate normal wear on your line, but it also requires you to double seat your knots. Otherwise it slips on itself quite easily. It i hard to tell whe mainline breaks, but I am almost sure it just slipped at the swivel. A slip from a knot will leave you with a little "pig tail" while a real "break," or line failure will be much more clean and uniform, not all wound up. Which did you have after the break?

F
FishSchooler
Funny that you say that cause it was snagged a good 15 feet or so out, and when I pulled... snap! I had five feet dangling out after the end whipped my hand. I had that happen to me while shad fishin, usin a thin line, and it left a scab... :shock:

Oh yeah and 5 feet left doesn't mean that I had a 10 foot leader and was flossing... :lol: