Tip off rod repair

J
JeannaJigs
I broke the tip off my rod today. Second rod issue I've had in 2 weeks, I'm begining to see an unwelcome pattern :( It's an inexpensive rod, but hey, it's caught a lot of fish.

I'm not going to be in Oregon much past the end of the year, so I can't justify (for the time being) buying a new rod.

It broke off 2 inches from the end, it's an 8'6" medium action spinning rod

If I replace the tip, is it still going to work for some summer fish? I'm afraid it's not going to be as sensitive, and not have the same strength...and will break off again....

I've replaced tips on trout rods, and have had no problem, but we're talking about a less than 1 pound hatchery trout versus a 10+ pound angry steelhead.

D
Dichrofisher
2 inches is a bit to deal with. The tip might be too close to the last guide. I carefully took off the last guide to reposition a little and then reglued the tip and my trout rod is working again. I would be happy to do this for you. I don't think sensitivity is always the result of a long thin tip section. Less cushioning for your leader but it would be worth a try rather than tossing.

J
JeannaJigs
I'm really worried about the strength factor if I do it lol. I'm not so inclined. my dad is all ready to go to town on it, but I'm not sure he knows what he's doing either...i fixed a trout rod, but it's a trout rod...and so there is a huge difference.

this is what i've got to work with

rod.jpg

It's a inexpensive rod, but it's all i've got for the time being.

Think it can be saved?

D
Dichrofisher
You have to cut it down below where the graphite splits. I use a highspeed carbide blade to cut the graphite cleanly. Then it is a matter of guide spacing which I cannot see in the picture. I guess it depends on how frugal you are. ;)

M
mlw
I agree with Dichrofisher, cut it cleanly - I used a fine coping saw blade slowly, take the remaining rod end to Joes and get a new tip top (couple dollars) that fits (presuming it is a little bigger round than the one that broke off), and glue on - hot melt glue, or polyurethane glue (gorilla glue). If you think the old tip top will fit, cut the wraps and heat with a lighter and it should come loose.

The guide spacing won't matter. I've been fishing with one like that for a few months, after breaking it for the second time. (the first time the manufacturer replaced the rod section for postage, but I am going to have to pay for the second tip section, and I am poor right now. Its a nice rod, so I will get a new section when I can)
Michael

D
Dichrofisher
If your not sure about your saw then you can try a cut using your broken off section. I would even consider removing the last guide. Can you get a bigger picture?

J
JeannaJigs
Dichrofisher said:
If your not sure about your saw then you can try a cut using your broken off section. I would even consider removing the last guide. Can you get a bigger picture?
I'm at work but will get a bigger picture tonight when I get home.

F
fourgotten
You know, I seem to remember you mentioning that the rod was an Eagle Claw Spinfinity rod... I have one of those as well... and within the first day of owning it, I also broke the tip off of the rod... it lost a couple of inches and I replaced the tip.... the rod still fishes fine (though I lost both steelhead that I hooked with it this season... no fault of the rod)... I don't think that you'll have any issue with replacing the tip.. doesn't look like the rod part of the break is too frayed.

J
JeannaJigs
fourgotten said:
You know, I seem to remember you mentioning that the rod was an Eagle Claw Spinfinity rod... I have one of those as well... and within the first day of owning it, I also broke the tip off of the rod... it lost a couple of inches and I replaced the tip.... the rod still fishes fine (though I lost both steelhead that I hooked with it this season... no fault of the rod)... I don't think that you'll have any issue with replacing the tip.. doesn't look like the rod part of the break is too frayed.
Nope, not me. It's a Shakespeare Carerra or something or another. It's survived a lot in the last 4 years. Will be getting it fixed someday...