Rod & reel setup for my friend?

Z
ZeeBorn
I have a friend who wants to get into salmon and steelhead fishing, so he needs a rod that can be used for both. He doesn’t have a ton of money to spend on the setup as he has 2year old twins to take care of. He wants to spend around 100 bucks. So I’m thinking something in the 8 to 10ft range, 10-20# line and medium /heavy. I think a spinning reel is going to be the best option for price, ease of use and versatility. The rod should have guides that can handle braid for float fishing and the reel should be able to hold around 200 yards of 20# mono.

For the reel I think an Okuma Avenger 55a would be a good choice at around $35. on line. I have a smaller version that I use for steelhead that I like. So what do you guys think for the rod, or alternate reels or even combos? It doesn’t have to be new either.
Thanks,
Nate

Last edited:
F
fishwithdynamite
The Okuma SST seems to be a great rod for around $60. Also, I know that some people think they are worthless, but an Ugly Stik lite is around $60 also, and the rod is super tough. Pretty much unbreakable. For the best rod selection, go to Bob's, but its kinda far away in Longview.

K
Kodiak
Don't skimp on a reel for big fish. Go with a Shimano....it will last for years.

B
boberdown
okuma poles are on sale at fishermans for 38.00 smokin deal and you can pick up abu reel for 49.95 on sale as well i think would be a nice starter combo take care god bless

Z
ZeeBorn
fishwithdynamite said:
The Okuma SST seems to be a great rod for around $60. Also, I know that some people think they are worthless, but an Ugly Stik lite is around $60 also, and the rod is super tough. Pretty much unbreakable. For the best rod selection, go to Bob's, but its kinda far away in Longview.

Yea Bob's is kinda far for me. Loks like a cool place though. The only SST that I found in a spinning setup is the SST-S-802MH 8'0", 12~30 lbs, 1/2~2oz but its a little to short and stout.

Kodiak said:
Don't skimp on a reel for big fish. Go with a Shimano....it will last for years.

I'm not trying to skimp just trying to work with in the budget. I haven't seen any new or used Shimano spinning reels that can hold around 200yards of 20Lb otherwise I'd be all over that.

I'll be going to Fisherman's tomorrow evening so I'll see what the guys there can show me.
Thanks,
Nate

F
fishwithdynamite
Maybe Dick's has some more SST's. I've seen a 10'6 spinning rod in there before(Washington SQ). Fisherman's I know has a 9'6 SST....at least they did a few days ago when I went there.