Rod/reel/line carp talk!

C
chevyman2001
I have had some experience with carp. I have used a medium action pole with 15 braided main and atleast 15-20 leader. I'm in milwaukie and the part of the Willamette that I am fishing is very deep. When I get a huge hit from a massive carp it starts peeling out line like a mad dog. I have had my line snap numerous times just from them making there first initial run. I don't understand how people can use 6 pound test cause every time I have used 6 pound test my line has snapped. Especially when there fighting and the line is rubbing on rocks and anything under the unknown water. To be safe I never go under 12 PouND test. It sucks sitting out there for 6 hours and then you get a solid hook up and your line snaps. after one day of losing 4 fish due to line and weakequipment I use a medium heavy pole with 20 braided main and 20 pound leader. I have had my line snap even with that setup. Good luck!

F
flocaster
I get away with 6lb because I only fish ponds and other still waters that don't have a lot of snags or rocks

C
chevyman2001
flocaster said:
I get away with 6lb because I only fish ponds and other still waters that don't have a lot of snags or rocks
yeah, you can get away with it then. I usually fight river carp. I usually fish at clackamette park. The clackamas side.

J
Jdangler xD
Today I'm fishing the river in albany. Caught a few smallmouth and seen carp and sturgeon too

U
universalfishermatt
I use a daiwa reel, 9ft ugly stick gx2. Works for me! :D