Rod & reel etc advice

igquick

I want to be able to cast further out for sturgeon without breaking the bank and ordering custom gear from god knows who. So I was wondering what rod, reel, and line I could buy in most fishing stores that will allow me to cast as far as poasible for sturgeon, and what lead weighta are preffered for such.

Last edited by a moderator:

4labs

When I fished off the bank a Penn 8500 spin reel (USA made) 80lb braid (P-line) and 10-6 rod (glass)
Any large Shimano spin reel. Drag is everything for sturgeon.
My buddy insisted on using his level wind and spent more time with birdnest than fishing, but some guys are really good casting them not me.
If you really want to spend money on a reel a lexa 400 is incredible. 25lbs drag. Have seen guys haul in 100+ lb halibut with them.
10-12 oz lead worked for me
Good luck

rogerdodger

this stuff just flies off my spinning reels, really long casting line..

playhooky

this stuff just flies off my spinning reels, really long casting line..

Interesting...... With only two color choices I’m considering giving this line a try in the green since I plan on experimenting with it in central Oregon lakes for trophy size bows or browns. Thanks for the tip.

rogerdodger

Interesting...... With only two color choices I’m considering giving this line a try in the green since I plan on experimenting with it in central Oregon lakes for trophy size bows or browns. Thanks for the tip.
I love the yellow...but I should add that I use it for fall coho and winter steelhead.