Rod recommendation

M
Modest_Man
Managed to break my old ghetto pole today while hooked into a monster of a rock...I mean salmon...on the sandy. :rolleyes:

Looking for something solid for under $100. I need to get it over the weekend here in the next couple days. I'll be driving by Cabela's tomorrow in Washington and can swing by there easily. I was looking at the Ugly Stik medium or medium/heavy rods but of course they're on back order and they only have the heavy in stock.

Any thoughts on a good similar rod would be great.

I didn't see a gear section so if this is in the wrong section, sorry.

H
hawgslayer
Berkley air IM8 buzz ramsey. I had an ugly stick, and every problem you could have with a rod I had with it. Tip broke off, eyelets fell out.........

G
GMR
I still like my Okuma SST and it runs about $70..
So many options...

brandon4455
brandon4455
i stick with a 7ft 1 piece berkley lightning rod for about 30-40 bucks ive managed to get a 35lb nook in on it. they hold up real well

W
waco
hawgslayer said:
Berkley air IM8 buzz ramsey. I had an ugly stick, and every problem you could have with a rod I had with it. Tip broke off, eyelets fell out.........

x2 i agree!!

M
Modest_Man
I don't want a one piece, as I do a lot of hiking/exploring and it's nice to break the pole down.

I've got a ultralight Ugly Stik for my trout pole and I really like it. No issues and it's taken a lot of abuse.

I'll look up the ones listed here, thanks folks.

M
Modest_Man
hawgslayer said:

Cabela's doesn't seem to carry this. Anywhere local that does? I can find it on Amazon. Do you use the extra heavy, heavy, medium heavy, or medium?

Hmmm. Amazon has the 8'6" two piece medium heavy on sale for $59.97 knocked down from $90.

GMR said:
So many options...

The Okuma SST I can find on Cablea's is $50 and comes in a 7' or 7'6". Is this the one you have? Okuma

T
TimberTodd
I picked up a 8'6" Lamiglass Cascade Pro medium action at BiMart on sale. It was reg. $79.00 with 25% off. The sale runs through the 10th.
Todd

M
Markcanby
GMR said:
So many options...

The only thing beetter than SST would be stopping by Grigg outlet here in Canby. Just search it here on the forum to get all kinds of info.

M
Modest_Man
Markcanby said:
The only thing beetter than SST would be stopping by Grigg outlet here in Canby. Just search it here on the forum to get all kinds of info.

Call me dumb but I looked it up with Google and on OFF, and can't find much of anything. Just an address by the airport. Care to elaborate?

T
TimberTodd
Try wwgrigg.com.
Good luck
Todd

M
Markcanby
Modest_Man said:
Call me dumb but I looked it up with Google and on OFF, and can't find much of anything. Just an address by the airport. Care to elaborate?

I dont know what to call you but when I looked it up on the OFF search I got 2 pages of topics.

M
Modest_Man
Markcanby said:
I dont know what to call you but when I looked it up on the OFF search I got 2 pages of topics.

So did I and I read half of them and was still confused as to what a "Grigg" was.

Below is everything that has to do with "Grigg" from the most recent five topics (besides mine) and fifty-four responses. Not helpful in the least. The sixth is you telling someone to search for Grigg. See why I had to ask?

All I needed was the little tidbit Todd posted. Thanks Todd.

Do you want to try again? I just bought a 10WT rod from WW Grigg and want someone to show me how to use it. I'm thinking of heading to Oxbow on Thursday, any suggestions will be appreciated. Any help and I'll buy lunch!

Needed to replace the 5/6 weight that got snapped at Trillium. Hmm, it was a tough call, go back to WW Grigg and replace it with another $20 find, or go out and get a different rod. Answer... Griggs dont have any $20 rods at the moment.

For my two cents, I have an array of rods. A few Lamiglas, a handful of W.W. Grigg, some Okuma, a few Berkley and Shimano, along with several knock off brands from Korea. My W. W. Grigg, Berkley, and Okuma get down to the river much more often than any of my Lamiglas.

Grigg 9' 8wt with a Trion an no line
Nice 6wt made by the nice gorilla that broke my SST
an my new favorite is a Grigg 8' 4wt I got for my boy may can that little rod shoot some line.

W.W. Grigg has some badass rods if you like light action, idk if they still sell rods, check on craigslist.

So after reading the website I've got a couple questions. The store in Canby is by appointment only, but anyone can go there? Is it a retail store? Just overstock? Used?

Last edited:
F
fishingfreak
Wholesale Sports by Johnson Creek and 82nd Dr here in Portland has Okuma SST's all sizes and weights for $59.99. I have pulled in lots of big ones on my 10'6" medium Light 6-12lb rod. Also Bimart has The Berkely IM8's for $69.99 all weights and sizes. I pulled a 30 lb native Nook out of the Lewis river with that one last week. Mine is a 9'6" medium action Buzz Ramsey edition. Both are very good drifting and Bobber Rods for the price.

FF

M
Markcanby
Its just Grigg himself. Its overstock rebuilt an prototype rods an other gear. I just thought you could read through the info on there an make a good decision on the rod you want.

G
GMR
fishingfreak said:
Wholesale Sports by Johnson Creek and 82nd Dr here in Portland has Okuma SST's all sizes and weights for $59.99. I have pulled in lots of big ones on my 10'6" medium Light 6-12lb rod. Also Bimart has The Berkely IM8's for $69.99 all weights and sizes. I pulled a 30 lb native Nook out of the Lewis river with that one last week. Mine is a 9'6" medium action Buzz Ramsey edition. Both are very good drifting and Bobber Rods for the price.

FF

Good to know.. Ive been tempted to get the 10'6 one as well..
Might have to go get one now.. Or should I say D*%n you for making me spend more money:)

F
fishingfreak
:lol:Ya thats what my wife said!:lol: I told her I only needed 2 good setups and now I have 5 spinning and 3 casting.:lol: Good luck man! And I use them all. You will enjoy them I have.

FF

G
GMR
fishingfreak said:
:lol:Ya thats what my wife said!:lol: I told her I only needed 2 good setups and now I have 5 spinning and 3 casting.:lol: Good luck man! And I use them all. You will enjoy them I have.

FF

Yeah I have had my 8'6 SST for a while and really like it.
Been thinking about the longer one for more casting range in some places.
And I need more toys

F
fishingfreak
My 10'6" works great for long casting. I was amazed when I was tossing spoons at Cross park during winter Steelhead and tossed it all the way across and caught a native evergreen. Of course I released it unharmed.:lol: It works great for long casting and the Sensitivity is great for drifting also.

FF

H
hawgslayer
I got my IM8 Buzz Ramsey @ Bi-Mart for $59.95 on sale. I think the regular price is $69.95. I use the 8'6" 2 piece Medium Heavy. It has killer fast action, and I would have no problem hooking into a monster with it.