Rod questions

F
FernRidgeChamp
I've never been fly fishing before. Just so you know.

What kind of rod is best fishing with for trout on a lake off a boat. Length, stiffness, yadda. What do you use, if that question is to general? I see all types of fly poles I have no idea what to get?!

Help a newb,
FRC

M
Markcanby
Im still a Newbie myself but I got a nice setup at Sportsman's.
I got a 9' 5wt Fast action with an Okuma Cascade reel but am going to get the SLV so I can change spools I recommend that all together you can get a good setup for about $200. you can get a kit for around $50 but I don't think you will be happy with them. Okuma have some nice rods also for a decent price.

F
FernRidgeChamp
Markcanby said:
Im still a Newbie myself but I got a nice setup at Sportsman's.
I got a 9' 5wt Fast action with an Okuma Cascade reel but am going to get the SLV so I can change spools I recommend that all together you can get a good setup for about $200. you can get a kit for around $50 but I don't think you will be happy with them. Okuma have some nice rods also for a decent price.

Cool, I will start looking into that brand. If I recall they make awesome spinning reals.

FRC

M
Markcanby
Yes they do I have started replacing all my spin gear with them.
The Ceilio line is great for a person that can't spend a $100 on a rod I love my 8'6" med rod. I had been fishing the Mitchell reels but thing I will start getting the Okuma reels.

F
FernRidgeChamp
Well, I am gonna get a combo or build a combo from bi-mart tomorrow. Since I'm getting a fishfinder too, I should probably not kill my bank account in one day...

FRC

J
joesnuffy
For an "All Around" fly rod i'd go with #6 Medium Action rod. I've caught steelhead and more recently 10lb carp on this size. Your arm still takes a beating but a #5 can't really handle fish of that size well at all.
Fish down to 6" in length will still give you a little fight and keep it fun.

Welcome to a world of hell :p

Reactions: FernRidgeChamp
J
joesnuffy
also, a 9' rod length is good too.

M
Markcanby
joesnuffy said:
For an "All Around" fly rod i'd go with #6 Medium Action rod. I've caught steelhead and more recently 10lb carp on this size. Your arm still takes a beating but a #5 can't really handle fish of that size well at all.
Fish down to 6" in length will still give you a little fight and keep it fun.

Welcome to a world of hell :p

I like my 5wt its fun for small trout. I think a 5 an 7 would be best cause with a 6wt a 8'' cutt isn't gona be much fun.:(

O
osmosis
I coho fish every year with a 5wt and it handles them no problem.
I also suggest a 9' one hand rod.

M
Markcanby
Hey Osmosis can you explain the the different actions an if it is something labeled on the rod? I read some on it an saw a show about it so I can tell the action if I hold it in my hands but I am thinking of getting a rod of the Net an not sure what Im getting.

O
osmosis
Medium is not an apropriate term while refering to actions. Unfortunately some rod companies use the terms inapropriately.
Actions are extra fast, fast, moderate, and slow.

Medium is a term that defines power (lifting strength/backbone), not action.

The action defines how much of the overall blank (rod) bends when put under load. Extra fast means that the tip is where the flexible section is and that you get to your backbone quickly. a slow action is the opposite where your rod will load all the way to the cork.

Most fly rods dont list their action on the rods, just the weight of fly line they are best at throwing. But in my experience most 6+ weight rods have a faster action than say my 5wt that is a very slow action.

I think its best to get into a shop and feel the exact model I want in my hands, then if I can get a better deal online I order it but then really know what I'm getting.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
St-Croix #6 Fly rod.

No Questions Asked

O
osmosis
Troutier, I'm pretty sure you just said the other day that you dont have and want a fly rod, What gave you the idea that is the best one out there?

T
Troutier Bassier
I said I dident Have one, Where do you hear me say I dident Want one?

I Used a St Croix when my Friend from Russia came here. Ever Since then Ive Always wanted a St Croix Rod/Reel-FlyRod.

Why? What do you use?

O
osmosis
You read that wrong, or I didn't clarify enough. I meant dont have one, and you want one.

I have a st croix casting rod and for sure will not buy another one. not impressed considering the price. Many better rods out there for cheaper.

I dont spend tons of money of my fly rods like some people, I use north river rods, cortland, lamiglas and was given one called "algonquin" that isn't bad at all.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah, I read it Wrong, Sorry.

I dont really like Lamiglass, It is Sensitive but not Stiff,
I want a Stiff rod, Better Hook Set, More Power. Etc.

O
osmosis
Do you have any idea how many fish have died or been released at my feet on the bank or in my boat because of lamiglas rods :D
They are sensitive and have plenty of backbone for a good hookset, as long as you are using an apropriately rated rod for what you are doing.

With an 8 or 9wt lamiglas fly rod you can dang near pull a 4lb steelhead to the surface (in a creek setting) with your hookset man.

T
Troutier Bassier
Jeez, With your Hookset?

My Dad has a Lamiglass, Let me take a Few Casts with it, I dident like it. It dident feel Comfortable.

F
FernRidgeChamp
I'm learning here guys but you are making this really hard on me. What is the weight of a rod? I will be catching >2lb trout, I like FIGHT and I like my rod to bend. But I want a good hook set. I don't want to yank the fish straight out of the water, but I would also like to keep that monster steelhead when it comes.

MarkCanby, thank you. I appreciate you posting in my threads (not mine but you know). Thank you.

And, thanks everyone who is helping me learn,

FRC

M
mlw
Here is a site I ran across on a rod building forum, which is a system for measuring a fly rods action, stiffness etc. There is data for a lot of common rods and blanks, although nothing really recent. It is the Common Cents System and the rod data. It is a pretty clever system in that anybody can measure any rod with a tape measure, a paperclip, small baggie, and pennies (for weight - you should have 50 cents or so of pennies). You also need a level and a protractor to measure the angle of the rod tip. Some manufactures of rod blanks list the CC data for their rods, too bad more major manufactures don't. - Anyway, it is interesting to look at some measurements.

I would suggest there are a number of things to consider in fly rod choice, imho:

What size flies are you going to be casting? (small dry flies, shallow water = 4 wt., large weighted wooly buggers on a sink tip line = 7wt - you get the idea, smallmouth or small trout? Where would you be fishing most?, which leads us to the second consideration.

How deep of water ? small shallow mountain lake in a float tube, or bigger lake, bigger boat? Shallow water argues for lower line weights (to avoid spooking fish), Deeper water usually means bigger flies, bigger fish, higher line weight. In general, higher line weights are easier to cast a long ways, although for myself (and I suspect a few others), it is safe to assume that distance is limited by my skill, not my equipment. Good casters can throw a bamboo 4wt farther than I can my latest generation graphite 7wt. I have heard some folks in float tubes like longer rods (like 10'), since you are kinda low in the water, but I haven't tried it.

Then there is casting - what is your natural style? If you're the quick, nervous overachiever, by all means get a fast action rod - it will suit you. If you are the mellow Tai-Chi sort of fellow, get a moderate action rod. If your the crafty sort, it's not difficult to buy a kit of parts and wrap your own - its fun, and even a beginner can make a rod to rival the top name rod manufactures, for well less than 1/2 the price. [down to a point, very inexpensive rods you are not going to be able to buy the parts and pieces for less] Then after you take up fly tying you can catch a fish, with a rod you made, on a fly you tied - which is pretty cool.

All this to say there is no best rod out there - only what would you enjoy casting and fishing on the waters you plan to fish with it, for some that would be a 10', 7wt graphite, for other's the four weight bamboo. (which, incidently, is off the slow chart compared to the graphite, but for which folks are willing to pay thousands of dollars). It's not a competition, fast is not better than slow, stiff better than sensitive, etc. If its your first fly rod, a six weight is a good average.

Michael