Rod build

R

ryan808

I got commissioned to build a rod for a fellow OFFer and I wanted to share with you guys and gals. I am by no means a professional builder and wont pretend to be one, I just want to share a little bit of what I do when I can't fish....

Our fellow OFFer wanted a Jig/Wormin stick, so I choose what I think is one of the top three blanks out there, none other than a MH SCV St Croix blank. To make this stick as light as possible I decided to do a split seat and a set of Fuji micro guides. I'll custom a split grip and go bare on the bling.

Here is pre build:

F

Fish-N-Fool

Cool hope you show it off when you get-er-done. I used too make rods myself when I was a whole lot younger, Still have a 8 1/2 ft spinning rod I made for steelheadin on the Sky and Snohomish rivers back in the 70's now days I dont see well enough up close to do that kinda stuff and I hate to wear my old man glasses. lol

A

Amberjack

Rod building can be addicting. Best advice I can give is too buy a power wrapper. Makes building it a lot easier, especially on the finishing of the wraps.

R

ryan808

I tried the power wrapper, but feel more control with the hand wrapper. I do though use a powered drier when doing the finishes.

Chromatose

Chromatose

I am with you Ryan on hand wrapping. Not that a power wrapper is a bad thing. Just is not for me. Addictive is a understatement Amberjack........................:lol:

C

colbypearson

I tried the power wrapper, but feel more control with the hand wrapper. I do though use a powered drier when doing the finishes.

dang dude always something i have been interested in i see the handle assortment looks good i like that exposed seat your thinking of as well, would you make one for another person someday haha?

R

ryan808

I started the grips today and started to play around with the seat placement. I lathed out the grips and found the balance point for the rod. I hope our fellow OFFer gets that Quantum Smoke we talked about, cause its balanced for a light reel.

can't seem to upload picture right now, I'll post pics in a little while

C

colbypearson

I started the grips today and started to play around with the seat placement. I lathed out the grips and found the balance point for the rod. I hope our fellow OFFer gets that Quantum Smoke we talked about, cause its balanced for a light reel.

can't seem to upload picture right now, I'll post pics in a little while

are you gonna get a tip for the rod? or do you use one of the guides shown?

R

ryan808

I got a tip, just never put it in the picture. You mentioned something about different type of handles, wet your mouth with these rods:matagi components

C

colbypearson

I got a tip, just never put it in the picture. You mentioned something about different type of handles, wet your mouth with these rods:matagi components

i scrolled about 5" down and said oh my god, awesome haha.... so is it kinda hard i am pretty good at creative stuff so its always been a dream of mine to do? im sure it is really gratifying to do and fish your own rod!!

R

ryan808

Its not hard at all, it just takes time, patience and imagination. I tell you theres nothing better than catching a fish of a rod you build yourself, even better is having a rod build specifically build for you and how you fish. To bad your way down south, I can help you put your own rod together. I'm sure theres a bunch of builders down your way and I'm sure they would be more than happy to help a fishing enthusiast like you.

C

colbypearson

Its not hard at all, it just takes time, patience and imagination. I tell you theres nothing better than catching a fish of a rod you build yourself, even better is having a rod build specifically build for you and how you fish. To bad your way down south, I can help you put your own rod together. I'm sure theres a bunch of builders down your way and I'm sure they would be more than happy to help a fishing enthusiast like you.

where can i check out some of those components? and that big eva grip you have how are you planningon setting up up do you shave it down?

F

Finneus Polebender

Goin for the smoke w/ the highest ratio to satisfy my topwater addiction, gonna be cool to see it in progress ! Woops guess the jig is up. Well if I can't catch em like the master I can at least be fishin in style! Should be night and day compared to the 40$ daiwa on the lightning rod ! gonna keep those for them big ol swim baits !

F

Finneus Polebender

Thats hilarious my wife just came in and read this thread she said you watch in 4-5 years ryan will be a pro rod builder , Colby will be a pro bass fisherman endorsing his rods , and i will still be out back here tryin to catch an 8 lb bass! LOL

R

ryan808

:) It would be nice to be a fulltime builder, but theres other guys out there who have been doing this for a long time and I wouldnt want to take away from what thier doing, its hard enough now a days. Thanks for the shot out though.

dam I wish I could post the oics, I guess Ill try tomorrow.

H

halibuthitman

Thats hilarious my wife just came in and read this thread she said you watch in 4-5 years ryan will be a pro rod builder , Colby will be a pro bass fisherman endorsing his rods , and i will still be out back here tryin to catch an 8 lb bass! LOL
and I bet you will be just as happy as them!

C

colbypearson

:) It would be nice to be a fulltime builder, but theres other guys out there who have been doing this for a long time and I wouldnt want to take away from what thier doing, its hard enough now a days. Thanks for the shot out though.

dam I wish I could post the oics, I guess Ill try tomorrow.

why isn't it letting you i really want to see them!!!

R

ryan808

I figured out it was IE8, for some reason it wasn't working for me. Opera works fine for uploading the pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
C

colbypearson

I figured out it was IE8, for some reason it wasn't working for me. Opera works fine for uploading the pics.

:shock::shock::shock: that is awesome, nice TD sol BTW!!! that thing looks sick! :clap: i really like the grip deisgn

Last edited:
Top Bottom