Rod and reel advice?

C
Cannon
I have (5) assorted Koke trolling rods. I have an Okuma Kokanee Pro $40, a Vance's $75, two Tica Kokanee Pro's $85, and a lamiglass kokanee rod $70. They are all excellent rods for the money and all of them cost under $100.00. The Vance's rod would be my choice in lakes where the bycatch of large lake trout is possible although, I have landed 19 and 20 inch fish with the Okuma with no problems whatsoever. My contention is that if you spend over 100 bucks on a rod, and someone breaks it (it happens, I lost three rods last year) you are going to either be PO'd or want to puke.

I have four different trolling reels for Kokanee: Diawa Millionair classic, Abu Garcia 6501, Tica KT101, Tica KT151 and a Pflueger Trion. All are good reels and all are available for under 100 bucks. I prefer the Tica KT151 with a 21.8 inch retrieve. That really makes a difference when fishing deep with downriggers when taking up the slack. It also has a line out clicker which is awesome when using downriggers. The only one that doesn't have the line out clicker is the Pflueger. It is still a good reel but because of that, it is on my backup rod.

Fishing is supposed to be a fun sport, not a sport to show off fancy stuff like on a ski slope in the winter. Buy rods and reels that do the job but don't leave you feeling like it was a mortgage payment.

C
capblack
i dont know why anyone would want a 9 ft koke rod either. I have two rods for koke trolling, an okuma pro, and a lamiglas, both light 7 fters. Brian

G
ghostfish916
I have four TICA KLEA rods and two Lamiglas GC 792UL's. The Tica's are great for smaller kokes and the Lami's are built for the big boys of Wallowa and the Gorge. As far as reels I really like my Tica caiman 100's. If money was no object I would buy Calcutta 50's.