Rod add-on

F
FishSchooler
I struggle to cast 1/16, 1/8, 1/6 oz lures/weights with my rod that is meant to cast 1/4-3/4 oz (feels more like a 3/4-2 oz). I have this idea, to add a very sensitive/flexible tip, maybe 6" - 1' out, which will bend and help cast very light spinners and spoons. It's made of fiberglass (i think) and is about 3.5 ft long, and about 2 mm thick. It is flexible enough to double up and make a loop, maybe even tie a overhand knot. It's super sensitive and I think it would aid in casting tiny lures and weights, but the problem is how to add it on, or if I should add it on. Wrap/glue it on like people do with line guides? I would also need to add on 1 or 2 guides on the end. And opinions?

O
osmosis
work on timing, or adjusting the brake on your reel I'd say.
Not saying the addition wont work, just that its going to be a headache to get right and potentially could run the rod it you add it permanently.
Maybe attach it in a fashion that it is removable (hose clamps come to mind.)

N
ninja2010
imho, i think you'd be getting yourself into a mess here...

first off, you'd be creating a very weak point at the joint, even if you spliced it on to your main rod. then you'd have guide spacing issues.

not to mentioned, what would you do when you hook up and that super bendy tip starts to double over before the main rod starts to absorb the tension?

why don't you just swith to a fly setup if you really must chuck such light weights? rather than using the lure to pull the line, you'd have the line shoot the lure out.

just my 2 dineros...

H
Hawk
Bro, FS are u talking about with yer Ambassadeur 6500 reel ??

1aB
Amount of tip flex does not equate to better casting of light weights if the spring back is slow & mushy. A good rod blank is a balanced integrated unit more likely to be ruined than improved by adding on. Buy a new light(not UL) action IM6 or better - I've noticed decent Walmart rack rods for under $30.

edit: if you're referring to a turn spool reel, they're not designed to cast such light weights unless you're very skilled. For the weights you mentioned, 6# mono on a spinner.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Woops.... I mean the spinning rod. I guess that's even more embarrasing... :rolleyes::lol:

I am limited to 3 rods/reels right now, and probably will be for ages. 2 spinning and 1 casting. The casting, I only use for chucking big weights/spinners or bobbering or surf fishing in big waters. One spinning reel has 12 lb line (decent reel) and the other with 8 lb (horrible reel).
I want to get one of those UL rods that are rated to cast something like 1/64 oz to something, but that will have to wait a long while.

I was thinking of some sort of clamp or sliding attachment. And if it snaps while setting the hook while drift fishing with 1/16 oz weights for steelhead, it'll be worth it!

I could try it with the crap rod/reel first... :cool:

O
osmosis
If you dont have a big backyard, head to the local park and take your rod, a little bit of lead, and a 5 gal bucket. slowly move the bucket farther away from you while trying to cast into it.
Pre-loading that rod like its a spring, and timing are important things to work on for casting distance.

F
FishSchooler
I've done that. Maybe using stiff 12 lb line for trout just is a little to harsh, I can't wait till I can order those spare reel spools. :rolleyes: It's much easier to cast with the 8lb line, but I just hate that reel.

L
lizardman
12# test for trout is harsh in my experience. I have always spooled the reel with either 4# or 6# test and used anything from a two to four pound test leader.

Try spooling up som Ultra green Maxima in 6# tying a small black smap swivel to your main line so you can snap up to any of your lures.

Dave

F
FishSchooler
I would, but then I would have to switch between 6 lb and 12 lb every month, which would be a giant waste of line. The 12 lb still gets the trout to bite though

Chromatose
Chromatose
""""""""I struggle to cast 1/16, 1/8, 1/6 oz lures/weights with my rod that is meant to cast 1/4-3/4 oz (feels more like a 3/4-2 oz).""""""""""""""""""""

You answered your own question. Rod manufacturers make rods with thousands of dollars invested in R&D & mandrels. Modules, Splines and Power ratings all go hand in hand. Once you take away( Or Add) any part of a blank, all that research goes away. Adding a tip section to your already good rod may result in breaking the tip section or mid section. Not to mention the loss of a Trophy fish. Either way I wouldn't fiddle with it. Find a good used rod in the rating your looking to have. My .02 Cents worth. Good Luck