Rockfishing without a boat

R
rekkless
Im looking for places I could catch rockfish without having a boat. I've heard under the bridge in depoe bay and the jettys in newport. What have your experiences been, where should i go, and what set ups work? Thanks :)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The south Jetty in Newport is great. There are several "fingers" that jut out and are easy to find even at high tide. I have nailed tons of blacks and a couple lings from a pontoon all along there. The deepest spot checks at 90' or so and is on the south jetty directly across from where the water runs up on the beach on the other side. It's just a big hole according to the chart. I was told that on the north jetty there is actually a large boat that ran up on the rocks and sank years ago but I'm not sure where. The guy though it might be right at the elbow and for years there has been a trap of some sort up on the rocks at that point....

Last edited:
T
The Nothing
The So. Newport Jetty is a great suggestion!

As would be the So. Jetty on the Columbia. Its a LONG jetty with A TON of places to fish. Rockfish on one side, salmon on the other!

You can also fish on the rocks from under the Depot Bay Bridge and crawling under the fence at Boiler Bay can also get you onto some fish.

T
thepreditor
Do u plunk sand shrimp or what..... Ive tried a couple times with no luck...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I jig swimbaits with a constant slather of Herring Smelly-Jelly.

T
thepreditor
you take your pontoon in the mouth of the bay at night.. have you ever tried under a float?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
thepreditor said:
you take your pontoon in the mouth of the bay at night.. have you ever tried under a float?

How do you mean?

T
The Nothing
Jigs and swimbaits here too.
Gulp saltwater mullet (white) and Pogy (new penny) have worked great for me

M
Mike123
I've done well on a dropper rig with a #2 hook and fresh pumped sandshrimp.. but the Greenling love this set up.. not so much the bass. Those damn Greenlings are hard to hook!

F
fishtales
Barview Jetty for serf perch (lots of bait fish) , Yaquina Bay State Park South Jetty with swim bait at the point on an incoming tide and the wing dams.

I fished both a couple years ago on the 4th. sand shrimp, white double tailed grub swim bait, homemade rooster tail.

Bar view store 503-322-2644

Last edited: