Rockaway beach area fishing

T
Timber
I'm heading down to Rockaway in a couple of weeks to stay in our son-in-law's cabin and will be trying to pick up a trout or two at Lake Lytle. My back is better and I feel I can do some easy fishing, especially after celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Hoisting the cold ones didn't bother me a bit.

My question is:
Has anyone fished the lake just north of Barview Store with Camp Magruder on the opposite shore? I was thinking about walking down the RR tracks and fish along the bank? I don't know the name of the lake or if they have stocked it with trout like they have Lake Lyttle. Also, any bass in there?

H
halibuthitman
busted

busted

I have hammered all three lakes throught there to no avail.... but my buddy keeps telling me they are in there. Sooo I guess Im lousy, but the sacramento river just the other side of garibaldi has trout, and you are only 20 minutes from the wilson, so you have a lot of options. But those lakes could have fish, But I don't believe it.:lol::lol::lol: I would love to know how you do! good fishin!

H
halibuthitman
Acouple clicks south

Acouple clicks south

SOOOOOO although the sacremento river flows 447 mile to the sea, it actually never leaves california, let alone go near Garibaldi..... now the Miami is located in said position.... never drink and post , sorry:(

T
Triple Threat
I think the lake Timber is referring to is Smith Lake. You can acess it on foot from 101 at about the mid-point of the lake. There is a path that crosses the railroad tracks then you can fish the shore both north and south. I have had luck casting spinners and lures for stocked trout that were all released. Powerbait will work too. I don't know if there are bass in the lake but it does look "bassy" as well. I have driven to the west side of the lake to try and find a boat launch or other access but it appears to all be private property. Good luck if you go.

T
Triple Threat
I forgot to mention that I fished Lake Lytle on 03/12. ODFW indicates they were stocking the lake the week of March 9 but it must have not happened by the 12th. I trolled all over for a couple of hours and never had a bump. Several people were trying from the bank but I never saw a net fly anywhere.

T
Timber
Thanks for the replies. I've caught some nice trout from the bank at Lake Lytle while killing some time using a bobber and worm. Not real scientific but it worked. I know a fellow down there that swears by Smith Lake for trout (I couldn't think of that lake's name).

I was kind of wondering about that Sacramento River thing.