Rock polishing aficionado's

T

TTFishon

I'm about to polish my 4th batch of rocks. 1st batch was jasper. http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq290/tedfishmon/100_2475.jpg which turned out pretty good. 2nd batch I polished up some agates and the 3rd batch was some plain jane rocks that turned out to look like river rock. For my next batch I'd like to try petrified wood. My question is. Will this work or will I end up with bits and pieces of polished petrified wood?

F

fishtales

Those look like awsome rocks. I can still remember when my nephew bought his first rock in Sunriver when they where gone on vacation. He sat there and wathced as they used the saw to open it up. The expresion on his face was priceless. I unfortunatly was not there for it but i saw the rock and have heard the story and seen his excitement over it.

I heard that there are some good rocks along the crooked river. The road there has quite a few slides to look for rocks. I have found a few myself and they are siting in the rock garden now. I have never really learnt how to polish them but I would. Those are some good looking rocks.!!

I could'nt tell you which way to go with the wood, but mabey take it slow and not jump write into it and let us know if you diecide to try it out..

Last edited:
N

nwkiller

TT, find yourself a nice spot on ur petrefied peices and polish it, leave the rest rough, it will be like alittle window but still all natural, thats what ive done in the past..good luck

T

TTFishon

TT, find yourself a nice spot on ur petrefied peices and polish it, leave the rest rough, it will be like alittle window but still all natural, thats what ive done in the past..good luck

That's a good idea. How do you polish one spot though? I like the natural look too but I also like the polished look. If I think a rock looks better naturally then I won't polish it. I have some rocks that I'd like to polish but I don't want to ruin them either so I won't polish them. Luckily I live close to an area where I can collect a bucket full of cool rocks in an outing.

N

nwkiller

your jsper looks great, we usually use my friends polishing equipment, grinder looking tools with the proper pads, then just hit one side...i feel the same way about the natural look that you do

T

TTFishon

your jsper looks great, we usually use my friends polishing equipment, grinder looking tools with the proper pads, then just hit one side...i feel the same way about the natural look that you do

Thanks about the jasper. I thought about trying my dremmel before. One of these days I might just give that a try.

N

nwkiller

i would, find yourself the finest sandpaper you can

L

lilsalmon

Those look great!...so, I have a rock polisher unused out in my garage...my boys got it for me and I dont think they paid a lot for it. Do those work just as good? I have obviously not got around to using it yet but I have quite a few rocks gathered from my fishing excursions...

T

TTFishon

Those look great!...so, I have a rock polisher unused out in my garage...my boys got it for me and I dont think they paid a lot for it. Do those work just as good? I have obviously not got around to using it yet but I have quite a few rocks gathered from my fishing excursions...

Heck ya it will work. Go to your local hobby shop and buy the grit needed for the stages of polishing. It will cost around 20 to 25 bucks. The box should come with course, fine, pre polish, and polish grit.

L

lilsalmon

Heck ya it will work. Go to your local hobby shop and buy the grit needed for the stages of polishing. It will cost around 20 to 25 bucks. The box should come with course, fine, pre polish, and polish grit.

Thanks for the info...I think all the grits are included to do the first batch of rocks.

T

TTFishon

Thanks for the info...I think all the grits are included to do the first batch of rocks.

Let me know if you need instructions. One thing to take note on is to try to polish rocks with the same hardness in your batch otherwise the harder rocks will bust up the softer rocks. Good luck.

L

lilsalmon

Sounds great..thanks again for the info...now its time to get ready to hit the canal. :dance:....have a great day....

N

nwkiller

man agates are sick...they look awesome

N

nwkiller

i have a nice speciman i found up fall creek past bed rock, looks bright blue inside with algea grean and quartz on the outside. and about the size of my fist

Top Bottom