Rock fishing report March 24, 2011

A
Amberjack
We had 3 passengers scheduled for our 6 pack boat today. Ocean conditions looked excellent with a flat ocean. Unfortunately the 6 pack hit a log in the bay, and bent the prop. We had to re-schedule the trip.

I hope this is an honest report. The wheel will cost $600+ to repair.

T
the_intimidator03
That sucks. Who would put a log in the bay LOL. Hope it all goes well

J
JAFO
Oops!

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
JAFO said:
Of all the things that could go wrong going in and out of Depoe Bay, that's one I wouldn't have thought of. Bummer.

That would be Trade Winds Charter. Newport can get a bit of debris on the high and incoming tide.

J
JAFO
I've got Depoe Bay on the brain. I was at the Sportsman Show here in Boise a couple of weeks ago and talked to a few guys I fished with last year. I can't think about anything else. I gotta go back!!

B
BobbiDollPDX
JAFO said:
I've got Depoe Bay on the brain. I was at the Sportsman Show here in Boise a couple of weeks ago and talked to a few guys I fished with last year. I can't think about anything else. I gotta go back!!

I used to go out of Depoe Bay but after using Captian's the past couple of years, Depoe Bay kind of seems like the Puppy Mill of Deep Sea fishing. Line em up and shove em on a boat.

Last trip I did out of Depoe Bay was on the Tacklebuster and the Captain ran us over the same stretch for 5 hours and no one got their limit. It wasn't much fun.

J
JAFO
Good to know. I'm heading over in a couple of months so I'll give them a try. I always end up in Newport anyway.

C
capblack
BobbiDollPDX said:
I used to go out of Depoe Bay but after using Captian's the past couple of years, Depoe Bay kind of seems like the Puppy Mill of Deep Sea fishing. Line em up and shove em on a boat.

Last trip I did out of Depoe Bay was on the Tacklebuster and the Captain ran us over the same stretch for 5 hours and no one got their limit. It wasn't much fun.

the only two trips i was on were out of depoe bay, i had a good time, next trip will be with captains charters. sorry about the luck. i used to complain about hitting stumps with my prop, and i only had to pay $50 for a reman. $600 ouch!!

A
Amberjack
BobbiDollPDX said:

We will move to different reefs, even if fish are showing up on the sounder, no guarantee they will bite.