Rock fishing report March 21st 2011

A
Amberjack
We had 3 passengers on our six pack boat today. Departure time was at 8:00am. Ocena was bumpy but fishable. Captain Doug limited out on rockfish and was back in port by 11:15 am this morning. On short ling was caught.

Reactions: OnTheFly
N
Noahk
No pictures?

M
muskieguide
Not everyone takes pics of every fish they catch. This site is beginning to sound like the yuppie site they have in WA where if you catch a fish of any size or species they demand pics or call you a liar. I'm not tryin to pick on anyone imparticular, but this is gettin stupid. I'm seein more and more folks on here demanding pics. Some people don't want to post pics and give up the honey hole which most of you can understand. I don't mean to turn a great report into a rant, but let amberjack have a good report and enjoy his time on the water. Come on guys, this ain't cali or wa, this is Oregon. We are better than that. Glad it was a good day on the water for ya Amberjack. P.S. I don't get any pics on here either. If someone wants to doubt me, they can look at my album which some here have seen. Good luck to all of you out there

N
Noahk
You need to chill buddy. They are fishing in the Ocean and unless they post up detailed pictures of the coastline I highly doubt they will give away their "honey hole". They are running a guide service. As a potential future customer I'd like to see a picture of their boat and yes, fish. I don't doubt their story and certainly isn't calling anyone a liar.

I find your rant completely unnecessary and unrelated to Amber's post. So continue to not post a single picture, congratulations.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Where are the pic's at?

A
Amberjack
Please lets not get into a flame war over this. I will continue to post fishing reports. We are really not a guide service, but a deep sea fishing charter service. The fishing reports that we will continue to post will be honest reports. We will not "pump up" reports to generate business. Our Captains have certain locations where they fish and they are an industry secret.

Posting photographs is an issue, as customers wish not to have their pictures show up on an Internet forum. If we get an exceptional catch we will try to obtain a photo. A release letter will need to be signed. In a litigation society this is a must.

T
Throbbit _Shane
If i go on a tuna charter ill make sure to post lots of pictures!

A
Amberjack
BTW Thanks Bobbi for posting the pics !!!

R
rekkless
pictures of the catch (don't care about the fishermen if that matters) would be nice when possible! not that i don't trust you but i don't get many opportunities to go fishing myself so its fun to see what other people catch.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Amberjack said:
BTW Thanks Bobbi for posting the pics !!!

You know I how much I love to fish with you guys, showing off the pics is almost as much fun!

B
Born2Fish55
Nice fishes there!
I take lots of pix of fish.... everyone else's fish.... always forget to take them of mine!

B
BobbiDollPDX
rekkless said:
pictures of the catch (don't care about the fishermen if that matters) would be nice when possible! not that i don't trust you but i don't get many opportunities to go fishing myself so its fun to see what other people catch.

When a charter puts in after a day at sea, they help the passengers off the boat with their fish and gear then have to get to work cleaning up the boat. Let me tell you those boats are pretty gnarly with blood and puke when they get back to port.

The passengers then line up to wait for the guys to clean and fillet everyone's fish for them. It's hard enough to get pictures of your own fish and not lose your place in line.

Go look at any website for just about any ocean charter. You will see lots of fishing reports and a select handful of photos. In fact that is the case with most river guides too, minus the frequent reports.

We are very lucky to have a local charter owner as a member here posting reports, those of us who go fishing regularly can see the value in that information.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Amberjack said:
Please lets not get into a flame war over this. I will continue to post fishing reports. We are really not a guide service, but a deep sea fishing charter service. The fishing reports that we will continue to post will be honest reports. We will not "pump up" reports to generate business. Our Captains have certain locations where they fish and they are an industry secret.

Posting photographs is an issue, as customers wish not to have their pictures show up on an Internet forum. If we get an exceptional catch we will try to obtain a photo. A release letter will need to be signed. In a litigation society this is a must.

Well stated.

S
stanster
The wife, kid and I drove up to Newport today to visit the aquarium [which is world class cool !!!] and I stopped in to visit the folks at Captain's. I met Amberjack, Mrs. Amberjack and Jerald [sp?] one of the captains. Nicer, more gracious folks in the midst of a hectic remodel could not be found anywhere. They took the time to show me around, answer questions and just visit about fishing. as a fairly experienced salt water fisherman from SoCal, I can tell you these folks are the real deal. They know what they are doing and I can't wait to go out on one of their charters.

Reactions: BobbiDollPDX
C
capblack
muskieguide said:
Not everyone takes pics of every fish they catch. This site is beginning to sound like the yuppie site they have in WA where if you catch a fish of any size or species they demand pics or call you a liar. I'm not tryin to pick on anyone imparticular, but this is gettin stupid. I'm seein more and more folks on here demanding pics. Some people don't want to post pics and give up the honey hole which most of you can understand. I don't mean to turn a great report into a rant, but let amberjack have a good report and enjoy his time on the water. Come on guys, this ain't cali or wa, this is Oregon. We are better than that. Glad it was a good day on the water for ya Amberjack. P.S. I don't get any pics on here either. If someone wants to doubt me, they can look at my album which some here have seen. Good luck to all of you out there

pics or it didn't happen!! :lol:

S
SNDSLGR
Amberjack said:
We had 3 passengers on our six pack boat today. Departure time was at 8:00am. Ocena was bumpy but fishable. Captain Doug limited out on rockfish and was back in port by 11:15 am this morning. On short ling was caught.

Nice work! I always hear the bottom/Ling fishing is great in the spring time, need to get out sometime for a change of pace.

Question for you... somewhat in relation to the picture thing. Do you run into many clients marking holes with GPS for later use on their own sportboats? Do you feel used or intruded upon if/when this happens?

On one hand it makes sense if it upset you as you have worked hard to dial in a fishery and some Jackwagon comes along and rapes your knowledge for 135 bucks. On the other hand, a guy in a sport vessel will not be out there everyday and it can feel good "teaching a man to fish" as well..., it is a free country and all type attitude. What say you sir?

Last edited:
C
capblack
SNDSLGR said:
Nice work! I always hear the bottom/Ling fishing is great in the spring time, need to get out sometime for a change of pace.

Question for you... somewhat in relation to the picture thing. Do you run into many clients marking holes with GPS for later use on their own sportboats? Do you feel used or intruded upon if/when this happens?

On one hand it makes sense if it upset you as you have worked hard to dial in a fishery and some Jackwagon comes along and rapes your knowledge for 135 bucks. On the other hand, a guy in a sport vessel will not be out there everyday and it can feel good "teaching a man to fish" as well..., it is a free country and all type attitude. What say you sir?

i wouldnt think theres many guys on a charter that also have a boat that they take out themselves. maybe im wrong

B
BobbiDollPDX
SNDSLGR said:

I've gone out with these guys many many times and never seen anyone with their own GPS on the boat.

D
Drew9870
I have fished the Captains Charter about 5 years ago, only Charter I have been on, and we (7+ people) had our limit of Lings with a few Cabs and Bass on board within probably no more than two hours of fishing.

But of course, I didn't take pics, so who would believe such a story. Pretty sure a Charter business is doing pretty well as far as finding fish if they can keep a business running. I'll bet money Captains has a good number of returning customers.

Ignore the nay-sayers, how many big fish do you ''hear'' of them catching.

Last edited:
S
SNDSLGR
QUOTE Capblack..."i wouldnt think theres many guys on a charter that also have a boat that they take out themselves. maybe im wrong "

Not really true, not the norm but certainly not un-heard of. I have gotten free trips from work etc... Also, the charter fee is damn cheap way to get "in" on fishing a new way/style. Many good salmon fisherman will tell you to skip the first 10 years/10k dollars and go with a good guide your first day, same idea.

"Charters/guides can be a great way to learn a fishery. We have a tuna day in August with one of the best live bait guys there is, while we have a few Tuna boats amongst the "crew" we all opted to go relax and learn from the best. Should be a great day for sure.

Last edited: