Robbed!! 9/6

D
diggindan
My wife and I dropped the crab traps in the bay and trolled up-river in search of our first salmon. Changed spinners a couple times and just before Gardiner decided to try running about 10' at 1.5 mph. Instant hook-up and the battle was on. Good fight for 5 minutes or so and then took off like a freight train for the bay. WT#? Wife put the boat in gear and followed till we saw a black head pop up with my salmon clutched in it's mouth. I put as much pressure as possible on and finally broke the mainline. Needless to say we are PO'd!
No more hits for the day. Sorted through at least 60 crab for 2 limits. Still a great day on the water.
Cheers, Dan

F
Finneus Polebender
]
diggindan said:
My wife and I dropped the crab traps in the bay and trolled up-river in search of our first salmon. Changed spinners a couple times and just before Gardiner decided to try running about 10' at 1.5 mph. Instant hook-up and the battle was on. Good fight for 5 minutes or so and then took off like a freight train for the bay. WT#? Wife put the boat in gear and followed till we saw a black head pop up with my salmon clutched in it's mouth. I put as much pressure as possible on and finally broke the mainline. Needless to say we are PO'd!
No more hits for the day. Sorted through at least 60 crab for 2 limits. Still a great day on the water.
Cheers, Dan

Lost my only salmon hook up the same way same place couple weeks ago the seals there are horrible . unless there are fish on all over the place you can almost bet on loosing your fish !

Last edited:
S
steelheadstalker31
We've lost a few to seals to, but we've won a few battles also. If you keep your boat right on top of the fish it seems to make the seal nervouse and they will sometimes let the fish go. Hopefully this helps next time you are in that situation. Good Luck!

O
OnTheFly
The things you see without your deer rifle.

F
Finneus Polebender
steelheadstalker31 said:
We've lost a few to seals to, but we've won a few battles also. If you keep your boat right on top of the fish it seems to make the seal nervouse and they will sometimes let the fish go. Hopefully this helps next time you are in that situation. Good Luck!

we tried the same if you stay on top of them and dont let them come up for air they will sometimes spit the fish and you can win , unfortunately my lead hook actually hooked the seal and we were done for.

D
diggindan
My wife will probably run the little sucker down if she gets a chance. We lost her favorite hoochie spinner also.
Are the seals as bad further upriver?

O
Outdoor_Myers
boy it almost sounds like you need one of those huge reels and strong wire leaders and just wear the seal down then run it over lol why dont the illegal immigrants help us out by poaching some seals and not our salmon!?

M
Mike123
OnTheFly said:
The things you see without your deer rifle.

HAHAHA YES!! lmao.

I'm bringing my sling shot tomorrow. We'll see how they like getting thumped in the noggin with a huge chunk of steel.

S
Stan-2007
The majority of the time, in shallow water, if we can catch up to the sea lion, they will let loose of the fish to swim away. Deep water, just snap your line.

I just wish there was a sea lion hunting season. They are destroying the salmon in the Columbia, but until then make sure that you do not get caught using any sea lion intervention methods.

From what I understand, you can get in trouble for even chasing them down with a boat. I heard that it is called "harassing wildlife," not to mention the Birkinstock protests that you can expect if someone sees you.

H
hvacr1
why not try fishing for the sea lions using a good old fashioned dupont spinner lol.

U
UGLYSTICKER
Stan-2007 said:
I just wish there was a sea lion hunting season.

me too. they have been overly protected long enuff.