Rivers a trickle, fishing even worse

F
fish_4_all
El Nino needs to go! Or at least act like it does normally instead of this dry cold weather.

Fishing up here has been bad, really bad. River levels are so low that places that were hard to fish right in summer can be accessed without getting your feet wet. A very popular stream is so low you can cross some of the deepest points that are normally too deep even in summer.

My 2 main rivers are the Whynoochie and the Humptulips up here and they are lower than I saw them in the hottest part of summer. Frozen edges and iced over backwater isn't helping. Not a fish to be seen in any of the normal hot holes and nothing being rteported by WDFW as far as fish coming up on their surveys.

Only fish I have heard of being caught with any real success have been down south near the Cowlitz. Uncle has seen 1-2 bites a day in 8 days when normally they catch 5-7 fish each day where he fishes.

4 fish have been caught in 10 days in what should be prime time for winter runs. Best stretches of water aren't deep enough for trout. The best fisherman are goiung home skunked and this leaves me shivering with iced up eyes and painfully cold hands.

Can not wait for the rain and warmer water temps. If the fish are waiting for the rain then there should be a huge run of fishing coming up hopefully Tuesday if we get any real rain amounts by then. If not then next weekend should be a fishing fest.

M
Mike123
Rain is on the way.... now everyone's gonna get what they asked for.
:shock:

B
beaverfan
Ya we should get some rain but while there's showers in the forecast like everyday for the next week the rainfall totals don't appear to be very much. We'll be lucky if we get 3/4 of an inch to an inch all week and it will be spread out through the whole week so in other words it probably won't raise the rivers much at all.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Great, now its going to flood and the fish in the river will fly to the hatchery, flash backs of last winter! :)

M
Mike123
steelhead_stalkers said:
Great, now its going to flood and the fish in the river will fly to the hatchery, flash backs of last winter! :)

Exactly.... last year I think the rivers stayed LOW into January though.

F
fish_4_all
Last year was sweet here. The few days i went anyway. But I am a whole 300 miles north of everyone else.

T
Teo
A 5 ft. rise in the Alsea by Friday when we in Corvallis are only expecting a 50% chance of rain. Pretty wishful thinking in my book. I used to live out there and yes it rains a lot, but unless there's a big storm coming I doubt it will happen. It will be interesting to watch though, and I will. A good lesson here.

M
Mike123
Teo said:
A 5 ft. rise in the Alsea by Friday when we in Corvallis are only expecting a 50% chance of rain. Pretty wishful thinking in my book. I used to live out there and yes it rains a lot, but unless there's a big storm coming I doubt it will happen. It will be interesting to watch though, and I will. A good lesson here.

Yea the USGS guys are always off on their predictions.. but... I bet I'll be fishing the NF this week instead of the mainstem.. ;)

B
beaverfan
Well it looks like I need to eat some crow. When I looked yesterday it seemed like the split jet stream we have right now was going to keep us mostly dry but now it appears that the southern jet is going to move right above us. So basically it's a pineapple express setup. You wanted rain well now your getting it! LOL Just hope the rivers aren't blown out by the end of the week.

T
Teo
Well that was a pretty good storm. Brought the Alsea up to 10 ft. +. So let's hope some fish start to move.

F
fish_4_all
Yep, local rivers here are up and running again. Should be some real numbers moving soon. Hopefully I will get out and hit a couple this weekend.