"River Monsters"

A
autofisher
Has anyone ever seen the show? I was watching last night. I think the name of the episode was Alaskan Horror. Anyway, He was up in Alaska and was going to go after Sockeye. The rig he used? Fly pole set up for flossing. I was actually shocked that they showed it and he "recommended" using the set up for fish that "don't eat".

Aside from that it was some great shots of scenery. They ended up coming to the Columbia to get sturgeon. I think he was even on one of the Glass's boats.

T
Thuggin4Life
man i was just going to make a thread about it. Guys say since there aren't biting you cast this rig upstream at a 45* angle and wait for it to get caught in a fish's open mouth and then the get spooked and fish on. I watch the show whenever i notice it on and i haven't seen it already. the guy had never fished for salmon but still i couldn't believe they showed that on the air. Then to prove that it was a sturgeon in alaska that was the monster he came here and payed a guide to get him into some aversized sturgeon. how does that prove it was a sturgeon up there? i wouldn't have believed him about jumping sturgeon had i not seen them doing it one morning at reedsport. we though it was salmon jumping until it got light enough to see.

troutdude
troutdude
I have watched that show a few times. In fact, I recently started a thread about a monster fish that he caught on a trib of the Amazon.

What I liked about the show, is that he really put out some effort to learn about the fish and it's habitat. So, when he did hook one, he knew exactly how to handle the fish to safely revive it and return her to her lair.

R
rippin fish lips
that is probably one of my favorite fishing shows besides hawg quest with glen hall!! i look up to both of those dudes :)
i give that guy a lot or respect for taking the time to learn about those "river monsters" an average fishermen wouldnt be able to go out there and expect to catch one right away. that show just shows how many fish species there really are in the world! there are some big catfish around the world and i would love to catch one!!

troutdude
troutdude
Some forty, or more, years ago my uncle caught a five foot long cat in the upper reaches of the Mississippi River. It was near St.Paul/Minneapolis. There could be bigger ones!

And the ones in the Amazon are often 200 pounds + (as are the Peacock Bass)!!!

A
autofisher
I like the show and I respect the guy. Knowing how hard it can be to catch some fish, I truly appreciate the work and the study that he puts in to each fish he goes after. The flossing just surprised me.

F
Fishtopher
Thats how they roll up there bro. Most popular way to fish for Sock's up North. And I'd imagine any other Salmon once it hits the river.

F
Fishtopher
:lol:Haha, but ya- the big scary Alaskan (Columbian) Horror (Sturgeon):lol:.
That show is starting to seem kinda...sci-fi to me. Just not the same as it was the first season. Not sayin' thats bad, cuz sci-fi fishin shows would probably make the cut on my program list!

I thought the ACHS show was pretty good. definitely surprised to see that he never caught a Salmon before. (I know one thing; my little skinny scared ass woulda shot that damned bear right between the blinkers with that .50 if it got that close to me...but I wouldnt ever let that bear get that close!! THAT was the River Monster!)

Side note, a guy would think that since the Columbia gator population and the size they get, added to the number of boat traffic on the Columbia would equal waaaay more disasters than compared to the gator population in the Alaskan Lake and the amount of boats on it...jus' sayin'.

He decided to go 1k's miles away, to catch the fish he was looking for....
Thats kinda like huntin' for Osama in Pakistan, then going to Iraq and pickin' up Saddam and sayin'; "See! Told ya Osama was in Pakistan!":lol:

A
Airs98
Season 1 is on the Netflix now! Season 2 is coming next month. :)

A
autofisher
Fishtopher said:
definitely surprised to see that he never caught a Salmon before. (I know one thing; my little skinny scared ass woulda shot that damned bear right between the blinkers with that .50 if it got that close to me...but I wouldnt ever let that bear get that close!! THAT was the River Monster!)

:lol:

H
halibuthitman
oh auto.... we have to cover this again??? Alaskans are very different than Oregonians, if an Oregonian can't catch a fish he starts screaming, sea lions! dams! commercial men! o0h my! in Alaska.... we just add lead. I remember when czech nymphing was considered dispicable... and wrapping a plug with a sardine... unheard of. At least in Alaska you would be hard pressed to find a steelhead river you could use bait or a treble hook on.. just sayin... plus, unless you have tried flossing you are way off thinking it is an easy art to master. A fish in alaska must only be hooked forward of the gill plate to be a legal fish. hey, when we goin fishin?

A
autofisher
I know, I know..... different regions, different rules. I know there's an art to every presentation...and I'm still in the "finger painting" stage of fly fishing, it just kind of shocked me. When he was showing what he was doing, he even pointed out that he was "hopeful" to hook the fish on the outside of the mouth. Again, different state, different rules. I'm not screamin dams, sea lions, or commercial.....I'm usually the one screaming "WHY DO I SUCK AT THIS?????"
And I'm ready as soon as you are sir! I need to get the fly rod back out. Frustration got the better of me and the pole needed a "vacation"

T
Troutier Bassier
He over dose it. Like he uses super heavy rods and tackle for fish that arent that big.. If he really wanted to get a monster fish he would throw a gillnet in the river...