River Monsters: good show or hype?

T

Texas Basser

I've been catching reruns of River Monsters with host Jeremy Wade.... What do you all think of that show?

I'm still on the fence...Some things are pretty cool while others can be a bit cheesy...:think:

R

rainbowfisherman

To me it almost isn't considered a fishing show. Entertaining yes, but doesn't have the same feel to a show like "Seasons On The Fly". But it is fun to watch for sure.

G

GDBrown

It would be real interesting if he would come do a show about our Willamette River Monsters! AKA pinnipeds.

brandon4455

brandon4455

some of it is pretty cool. i liked the one where he caught a big sturgeon on the columbia. i wa s like "hey ive been there before!!" :lol: but there are some cheesy parts to it not gunna lie

C

chris61182

I simply try to enjoy it for what it is, a guy going to wild places I'll never get to go to, and catching fish I have no chance to ever catch. My only real complaint is that it's on Animal Planet instead of Discovery; I don't get Animal Planet unfortunately :(.

M

Markcanby

It would be real interesting if he would come do a show about our Willamette River Monsters! AKA pinnipeds.

I think he would get in big trouble if he stuck a 12/0 treble hook in a salmon an tossed it out to one of those. I would certainly pay to see it though.

The show seems to be kinda over I mean there are only about 12 or so fish in the world that can be called river monsters an he has caught them all.

A

Anyfishisfine

Most fishing shows are advertisements that involve some fishing. It's refreshing that this isn't.

G

GungasUncle

For the most part, I love the show. One section that bugged me was his sturgeon episode that started in Alaska - for whatever reason (I'm guessing it was really just an excuse to do it cuz he was in Alaska) they went fishing for salmon, and Jeremy told the world that salmon *won't* bite, and the *only* way to get them is to snag them, and proceeded to floss them. Anyone who didn't know better, will now think that all salmon are non biters and the only way to get them is snagging/flossing. I cringed.

It really is a neat show, over all though. Glad to see fishing put in a positive light, with some entertainment to it. He really has caught some big hawgs for that show - my favorite was the giant Grouper he caught down in a river in Australia.

S

Spydeyrch

I like the show because my kids love it!!! They like to talk fishing with daddy and this is one of those shows that we can sit down toegether and watch that invloves fishing and they don't get bored with it.

-Spydey

N

NoobTooner

it's pretty interesting. i've always wanted to get a hook in one of those tiger fish. oh and i get the biggest kick out of the fact that he uses the same chronarch for some of those "monsters" as i do for steelies.
you gotta admit.. the guy has got a great freekin job!:pray::lol:

G

GDBrown

......you gotta admit.. the guy has got a great freekin job!:pray::lol:

Until you realize what he goes through to get to some of the locations. Putting up with 100% humidity and 115 degree temperature for weeks at a time is not my idea of fun!

N

NoobTooner

yeah.. there is that. and then there's our 200% humidity and 17degree temps... it's all relative. just a few years ago WE had a week of 115deg. days and it sucked but back in palm springs i can remember months of 120plus nights!!!. if you spend some time, you aclimate and it starts sucking less. still, the guy gets to go to some amazing places and fish for some the coolest fish. i for one, am JEALOUSE as hell. DREAM JOB!!!

B

BobbiDollPDX

OMG way too much drama and cheese.

Although the one about the fish that was eating dudes' sacks was pretty cool :::giggle:::

troutdude

troutdude

It's all about entertainment & selling advertising time (there would be no TV show of any kind, without both elements).

But, I do get a kick out of some of his mud wrestling matches with his catch!

S

skunk

Its tv! Gimmicks and flash, but I remember that and watch it. Much prefer that to the junk sitcoms that are on.

T

the_intimidator03

Lol bobbi you mean the candiru fish, which was one of the amazon episodes dealing with catfish if i recall correctly.

B

BobbiDollPDX

Lol bobbi you mean the candiru fish, which was one of the amazon episodes dealing with catfish if i recall correctly.

Actually it was a Pacu. A fish that wasn't native to the area and normally only ate fruit, like coconuts (I thought that was hilarious too). But they ended up getting way bigger than normal and developing a taste for flesh. Man flesh or Man coconuts, either one works.

Top Bottom