River level for plunking??

C
CoastieFlo
Can anyone give me an idea whats a good ballpark level for steelhead plunking on the river? Looks like its going to be a while before it can be fished any other way :(

brandon4455
brandon4455
i don't think it matters just find a spot that is right off the current cast a spin glo with a 1-3oz pyramid weight

J
JeannaJigs
the plunking hole across the river from the takeout at wildcat has treated me very, very well at around 8-10 feet. I wish I had the patience to tolerate plunking, but i just can't sit still like that, no matter how much beer is involved. ADD is evil.

brandon4455
brandon4455
JeannaJigs said:
the plunking hole across the river from the takeout at wildcat has treated me very, very well at around 8-10 feet. I wish I had the patience to tolerate plunking, but i just can't sit still like that, no matter how much beer is involved. ADD is evil.

i know exactly how you feel jeanna

T
Thuggin4Life
Levels matter but flow does more. deppending on the flow you will have a light or heavy weight. also how far out you will cast. but the level will also determine were you cast. also better to fish it on the way down then up. and then the color matters also. not my plunking river but just go give it a shot if it doesn't look like mud. then presentation also takes its part. I am a master plunker just not for this river. if i did it on the slaw i would use lighter line and smaller glos than my normal.

D
Damon79
I know the Slaw very well, and it fishes well from 5-10 feet using whatever technique you wish to try. I am a drift fisher almost exclusively, but there is some very good plunking holes between Whitaker and Wildcat. Try the hole Jeanna mentioned above, it is a good producer. Also there is a bank access spot near the 1 mile marker with good plunking water.. My favorite spot is the Quarry Hole. If you dont know where that is, go through Whitaker camp ground and follow the trails down to the river. You will be fishing the last place where the river cuts into the bank (at least the last place the trails will take you to). Fish close to you, not more than about 6 feet out. If I tell anymore details, I may as well go and show you.. Good luck and tight lines.. The river will fish good Friday morning if the USGS prediction is correct.

J
JeannaJigs
Oh yeahhhhh I'm hitting it Saturday. Stoked.

D
Damon79
Good luck Jeanna, let us know how you do.. Should be a good day..

J
JeannaJigs
Well I won't be going now. My jeep is sick. No way to get my boat there:(

C
CoastieFlo
You didn't miss much, still quite muddy even up at Whitteaker

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah I drove by there today and it looked craptastic. Looked like poo. Takes foreverrrrr to clear up it seems. Thankfully lake creek is almost always clear.

C
crusty old fisherman
I fish from the second day the river starts a downward trend the first day there is to much sediment in the water.

I have plunked from 13 foot down until it starts to green up with pretty good luck. plunking is getting to be pretty popular on the main stem so get their early to find a rock to sit on. and dont be afraid to try a new spot last time i was out the spot I usually plunk was loaded with people before daylight , so I tried a new spot I had never seen anyone plunking before and blam got a 14 lb fish with in an hour, just remember when your plunking that you want your bait near the bank the fish move along the banks in high muddy water.

Crusty