Right place - right time

M
Mdiscom
I have been a pretty consistent smallmouth-chaser for the last couple of years. My 16' smoker craft served me well and put me on some good fish. I usually launch in Newberg and have fished both ways for several miles. This year, I ordered, waited, waited, waited some more, and finally took delivery of a brand new Lund Impact 1775. All summer long I have targeted smallmouth and have caught and released hundreds. It's been great, but...........I really wanted to put a salmon in my new boat. I've caught salmon before throughout my life - but mostly on guided-trips with guide's gear. I looked at different rods, trolling level winds w/ line counters, pro-troll 360 flashers, the whole bit. I've watched over the years as boats would multiply this time of the year on the ramp in Newberg - most headed to the mouth of the Yamhill to chase Coho that come up over the falls....most of the time, I headed the other way, content to chase the smallmouth fattening up for their winter stretch.

This last Sunday, my 12-yr old son's early morning baseball game was cancelled due to rainy conditions, so I decided to go fishing (again). He didn't want to go - so it was just me and my trusty co-pilot (my golden doodle, Jack - who, btw, definitely knows the difference between a bass and a pike minnow). We decided to just chase some more fall Bass - it was spitting a little, and I didn't want to get too wet, or too far from the launch. I fished for a couple of hours - put 13-15 fish in the boat, including a very chunky SM that registered 2lbs, 13oz on the scale. (that's a solid "fisherman's" 3 lb'er)

My son called me around 10, asked if was gonna be out there for a bit longer, and could he come and fish with me for awhile. Words I long to hear! Of course! My wife brought him down to the launch, I returned and picked him up. As soon as he got in the boat, I asked him, "Do you want to fish for bass - or should we try and catch a salmon?" "Dad - let's just try and catch a salmon".

With VERY low expectations, just happy to be with my son, we headed upstream, cut the motor a distance off from where the other boats were congregating, and fired up the brand new 9.9 kicker. I put a salmon plug on a bass rod (10lb braid, 12 lb fluorocarbon leader), let it out behind the boat, and settled in, my son chattering about the things he cares about, baseball, video games, hating school, etc. That alone would have been a good day. Within 5 minutes or so - that rod went OFF!! Chaos in the boat ensued. I knew immediately it was a good fish, and after several minutes got to see that it was indeed a salmon - I think it saw me at the same time and took of on another spirited run....My son scrambled to get the net, my dog just sat there barking, and I was OVER THE TOP excited. We netted our first Coho in our new boat. I think the boats half a mile away could probably hear me expressing my contentment.

Less than an hour later, still on cloud 9 (that one Coho made my day for sure), we were trolling back through the same area, this time going downstream. Same bass rod, same salmon plug. And the rod went OFF again! We got another one! Bigger fish, stronger fight, thought we had lost it several times, but finally put it a too-small net...

Limit reached, over-the-top excitement experienced, we headed for home. can't wait to get back out there - been dreaming about those takedowns. And definitely have to work on my filleting skills.

• IMG_2744.jpeg
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
  • IMG_2754.jpeg
  • IMG_2760.jpeg
Reactions: Fishpdx, fromthelogo, bass and 7 others
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Nice work! Now that’s how you get your kid to ask if you will take him fishing!

bass
bass
Great report!

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Kid looks fired up for sure. Good stuff, congratulations on all of that.

Nice smalljaw too!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Sounds like a pretty perfect day. I'd love to get that kind of a call from my kid but I burnt those bridges with too many long days in cold and rain. Nice work.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Awesome day!

New boat looks great, pretty wide beam it looks like? Open and simple floor plan, my favorite.