Right or left hand retrieve: Are you goofy?

O
OnTheFly
I have always been right handed. I do everything with the right except Eat and Shoot a Rifle. Am I goofy? Read on. I cast with my right hand with all rods but retrieve with my right. That means the real handle is on the same side I cast from. It makes it real interesting casting a fly rod. The exception to this is how I use spinning gear. I can't figure out, while using spinning gear, I cast right and crank left as one would normally. So, am I goofy? Probably yes. Anyone else want to admit it?:D

M
Markcanby
I kinda have some of teh same issues but only with closed face reels like for my kids. I hold them in my left an reel with the right. So other than that I am totally normal. No I mean it I swear.

L
Lamzy
I am a lefty and fly fish.
I cast left, reel left and retreave line right.
KiltedBob

T
the_intimidator03
Well I am a righty and really prefer casting with my right and reeling with my left on conventional, spinning, and fly set ups. what do you think that makes me? My conventional set up is right hand retreive so therefor i hate it... but i guess for trolling it will be fine.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I only use spinning gear and i reel with my left hand.

Reactions: colbypearson
C
colbypearson
i do the exact same thing its not goofy to me LOL but to some people there is a proper way to do it supposedly more efficient but when i fish i barely notice a thing, after you have fished for such a long time you find whats most efficient to you, i do it my way haha

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
When I was a kid, all my reels were closed face Zebcos, with the crank on the right hand side. That meant casting with the right, then switching the rod to the left hand to retrieve. I did the same thing for a wihle when I started using spinning gear, partly because my old man was a lefty, and had his set up to crank on the right. Then it dawned on me one day, at the store, seeing reels set up for left hand crank. I wouldn't have to switch hands anymore! And after that day, I've despised right hand crank reels with a passion. Doesn't make sense to me, to switch the rod to my weaker hand. Doesn't take a lot of strength to crank the handle, but when you've got a good fish on, it's nice having the rod in the strong hand.

T
TTFishon
I'm left handed. It's comfortable for me to cast left or right handed but uncomfortable for me to reel in right handed.

T
Troutier Bassier
I go stranger and use good 'ol lefty when I reel, cast with my right.
Same thing goes for fly fishing.

O
OnTheFly
To clairify goofy casting techniques, I would say anyone who needs to switch hands between casting and reeling should be considered Goofy.
Did I mention I shoot rifles left handed and shoot hand guns with my right using my left eye?:shock::confused:

G
GDBrown
Jim, every one is strange but me and thee and sometimes I wonder about thee! So yes you are goofy, but we love you that way.....

I must admit that if I had to cast with my left arm/hand I would probably end up fishing from my boat with the rod in a holder all the time. I cast with my right side and control every thing else with my left hand. I have no coordination with large things on my left side yet better dexterity with small things in my left hand. Yet I am right handed in just about every thing I do. For example, if I'm tying an eggs loop hook I hold the hook in my left hand and wrap the line with my right hand by holding the line in one place and twisting the hook around the line, not the line around the hook. So, does that make me goofy too?

C
colbypearson
Troutier Bassier said:
I go stranger and use good 'ol lefty when I reel, cast with my right.
Same thing goes for fly fishing.

`thats how its supposed to be, i think its all personal preferance but your supposed to do it like that it is more efficient if you think about it cast and have your rod in your strong hand and ready to reel but the way i do it and a few others is cast right and reel right that is considered goofy i guess, i am so conditioned to doing it this way i can get it all done and be ready to reel by them time my bait hits the water even when im skipping with a baitcast reel!!!:shock:

E
eggs
Cast right reel left.

C
capblack
eggs said:
Cast right reel left.

^THIS^ everyone else is just cluttering the store with right hand retrieve reels. i dont get it!!

C
colbypearson
capblack said:
^THIS^ everyone else is just cluttering the store with right hand retrieve reels. i dont get it!!

the wierd thing is that left handed bait cast reels are always the ones on sale and never sell in the first place but most people that fish baitcast gear these days reel lefty haha

M
metalfisher76
I throw right, reel left with a spin rod.
throw right, reel right with bait caster/level wind
throw right, reel left with the fly rod

My dad has to switch like that with his fly rod. The best part is he went 10 yrs or so without knowing he did it. When it was pointed out, he said "I do not!":lol: He seemed genuinely put OFF at first. Too funny...

For the record I skate regular but push with my left. It`s regular foot, goofy kick!:cool:

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
cast right,reel left.....

S
SemperFly
I also cast right and reel left. Feels goofy whenever I've tried reeling right handed.

C
capblack
metalfisher76 said:
I throw right, reel left with a spin rod.
throw right, reel right with bait caster/level wind
throw right, reel left with the fly rod

My dad has to switch like that with his fly rod. The best part is he went 10 yrs or so without knowing he did it. When it was pointed out, he said "I do not!":lol: He seemed genuinely put OFF at first. Too funny...

For the record I skate regular but push with my left. It`s regular foot, goofy kick!:cool:

just out of curiosity, do you prefer right hand retrieve level winds for any reason other than there more available? just seems weird to me, to cast, switch, reel, switch, cast, you get the picture. just wondering if there was a reason.

M
metalfisher76
Just the way it`s comfy. I wondered if that was weird:lol: I don`t fish with many users of the thing so never really had anything to compare. I just knew that the fact I don`t throw and reel the same way with ALL styles was odd;)