Rigging Squid?

H
Herefishyfishy
I know how to rig baitfish, rollmop and shrimp for sturgeon but I'm not sure how to rig squid. Do you just tie the whole thing to your hook and line like roll mop and sandshrimp with magic thread? Do you cut it up and use pieces?

M
Moe
I am not sure how other people rig it, but I find squid very tough and durable, so I just pass the hook through it 2 or 3 times, and it just stays on forever for me.

H
Herefishyfishy
Moe said:
I am not sure how other people rig it, but I find squid very tough and durable, so I just pass the hook through it 2 or 3 times, and it just stays on forever for me.
I'll give that a shot!

M
mckason
Put the hook through the cape and out the head so the tentacles are down then just half hitch up the body. Stays on really good.

F
Fishtopher
mckason said:
Put the hook through the cape and out the head so the tentacles are down then just half hitch up the body. Stays on really good.

Exactly how I rig my squid too. Sometimes I'll squirt some scent up in the cape before I tighten the half hitch's and then tie it off with stretch e string and poke a few holes in it. Works well.

H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks! I will be out there tomorrow trying these out!

F
Fishtopher
Good luck out there!

On a side note- I find it to be rough fishin' for gators with any other bait while we are in the middle of a Shad run. I would spend 20 minutes trying to catch a Shad before you dropped your gator gear with squid down there. Jus' sayin'.

H
Herefishyfishy
Fishtopher said:
Good luck out there!

On a side note- I find it to be rough fishin' for gators with any other bait while we are in the middle of a Shad run. I would spend 20 minutes trying to catch a Shad before you dropped your gator gear with squid down there. Jus' sayin'.
In the middle of a shad run on the Columbia? What would I be spending that 20 minutes trying to catch them on? I've heard they're pretty good fighters and fun to catch but have no clue how to go about it. any pointers?

D
Denduran87
set it in the water first.

set it in the water first.

I've always been taught to set it in the water once you get it tied up and make sure it's not spinning so you don't scare them from it