Rigging For Springers

T
Teo
I didn't want to hijack the other thread about problems tying 30 lb line to 0/1 hooks, so I decided to start a general conversation about rigging for springers. What's your fav? Do you pull plugs, what size, how deep? Do you use bait? What type? How deep? What size hooks. What size line do you use?, what size leader? Do you like spinnners? What size? How about jigs? And what type of rigging for what type of water? Many of us generally bring along a couple of pre-rigged poles and try many different riggings, but I'd still like to hear what you like the most, and how/when you use it.

For me, I've caught a several coho and some winter chinooks on wiggle warts fished as deep as I could get them. But I want to have a bait under a bobber option also though I've had no success there. I use 30 lb. braided line with 10 or 15 lb. leader for my bait casting, and 15 lb. line on my spinning reel for plugs.

Later,
Teo

K
Kodiak
I run 15-20 lb leader in maxima UG...I might be a bit heavier than other guys, but then I catch bigger fish:tongue: I also prefer Owner needle points in a 3/0 or 4/0...Not the cutting points. If I'm drifting fishing I like corkies in green, lemon lime, pepermint pink, white with pink dots, and glow in the dark. In the 10 size. I run #35 hotshots for plugs in metallic pink, silver, blue pirate, green pirate, white, wonder bread, and silver/chart. For spinners and spoons I run well...the obvious. I like eggs no bigger than a half dollar, or prawns. Sandshrimp work well but can be a delicate bait. I've also been known to toss a blu label herring at them, but that never works;)

H
Halfthrive
Anchovies with a bait spinner in chartreuse and/or green, 20lb to 30lg floro leader. That and wrapped k15's and 16's with 40lb Maxima. I've been known to use diver with spin glo's and roe but I don't like the mess so I prefer the other methods. This year I'm going to focus on side drifting for nook's, see how that works.

H
Hooked on fishin'
I will be going out for my first attempt at salmon fishing this season, so all this information is helpful to me! Keep it coming guys!

M
metalfisher76
Since I don`t have a boat and fish `em up` er a ways (heck even low on the Sandy) I run 8-12lb leader maxima UG(water clarity dependent, of course), one size up from that for main line. Primarily a drifter I still use egg patterns and other flies way up and down, eggs way down, spinners all around (chart/green dot is my fav.). I go 12 for leader with spinners.
I noticed ya asked about depth, which for bobber fishing is a good ? IF yer standing by the water, or asking about a specific hole. Same for plugs, just can`t say how deep from here without knowing a specific local. ALWAYS 1-2 feet off the bottom, or closer for any salmonid, 99% of the time. You might come to a big deep pool and see them suspended, and that`s the only time I would come up OFF the bottom.

B
Bullitt
FWIW...

I fish out of a boat, usually anchored, so I use 65lb braided main line and 30lb Maxima ultragreen leader that is 28 to 36" long. I like spinners in various colors, #5 casdade blades, #4 or 5 clamshells, #1 or 1/0 trebles, with an 18 to 24" dropper. Sometimes I will fish a prawn rig tied with 5/0 - 4/0 hooks (mooching rig) with 30lb leader (Tied at 40" in length). This could be trolled as well. This is my set up on the mid Willamette.

If I'm on the Columbia, I'll use a wrapped K13 to 16 kwikfish, 40lb leader (48"), and a 36" dropper. If trolling I'll do herring on a mooching rig that has 5/0 - 4/0 hooks on 40lb leader (again at 40") and I drag the wieght on the bottom.

C
cchinook
salmon rigging from the bank

salmon rigging from the bank

for the Clack. - starting mid May - my rig for 30yrs. ---- 8' 6'' or 9' Lamaglas or Loomis rated to 25lb. test with good backbone , 50lb. green Tuff Line main , 4 or 5 ' 30lb. Maxima Ultragreen leader ,
2/0 or 3/0 hook with egg loop , large West Coast bobber , 2 1oz. egg sinkers ( main line runs through the center of these ) and bobber stop with bead - FISH ON ! do not go thicker then 50lb. on the main line or your line will not fit through the bobber stop bead - if all this sounds heavy remember you are going to be hooked into a pissed off nook in fairly heavy current , I do not play with them , I land them . I gave up mono for main line a while back and now use it for spinning and level winds , do not use it for leader ! all this works great for me , but do whatever floats your boat !

C
cchinook
rigging

rigging

oh , I forgot , a big gob of milky eggs and a live sand shrimp for the menu hmmmm , good !