Retiring from the salt

Irishrover
Irishrover
My first saltwater trip was in August 1962 out of Depot Bay on the Jimco. She was a charter boat run by Jimco Charters owned by Jim Conway. Conway was a sports reporter for one of the three TV channel we had at the time. As a young kid at the time I knew that ocean fishing was for me I loved everything about it.

Later I made a few trips in dory boats from Cape Kiwanda. On one trip I took my young sons and they had a blast catching salmon and rock fish. That trip was a long time ago but I remember it like it had happened yesterday. It was that trip that launched me toward getting my own ocean boat.

Over 30 years ago I bought a Larson International 22' offshore boat, with twin outboards. I would fish that boat in the ocean for 25 years before I sold her and bought Teresa D, my 24' Duckworth Offshore boat.

My first mate and I have found as we grow older, fishing the ocean is getting a bit more challenging. Arthritis, joint replacements and back surgeries all take a toll. We have enjoyed fishing the ocean, it's an awesome feeling being out there smelling the salt air and having the wide open space to fish. However being realistic and responsible there is a time for every thing to end and we have chosen this year to retire from the salt and fish the lakes.

We have enough pictures and a ton great memories to last us a the rest of our years. We will still enjoy fishing, it will just be a bit more laid back, and with lighter tackle. I'll still be here to moderate the saltwater section, and we are keeping the boat and saltwater gear just incase we venture out there on an occasion.

Reactions: rogerdodger, Markk, Raincatcher and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
I'm really torn being liking your post; and not. But like you said you've got LOTS of memories stored away--and had a great time while you could do it. But safety comes first; as does worn bones. Boy can I relate to that concept!

Anywho...I wish you nuttin' but the best on your inland excursions down the road.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks appreciate it.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
P.S. Glad that you're not retiring from OFF!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Think I'll stick around here and have trout reports from Lake Simtustus. We have secured moorage for the season up there. It's going to be rooster tails and green wooly buggers instead of hoochies and herring.

bass
bass
Bittersweet indeed Irishrover, but adventure will be where you look for it. I am sure you will have many fond sweetwater memories to balance all those salty ones. Sweet and salty is one of my favorite flavor combinations :)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Bittersweet for sure. I do like the fly rod and after some shoulder work I'll be able to paddle my kayak into some great water to and try the rod out again. So many water to fish!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you for making a hard, but very smart decision! Too many refuse to acknowledge it when the time comes.

Reactions: Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
I want to enjoy my time on the water and not be a liability. Trillium looks good!

Reactions: Raincatcher