Results from Detroit Lake

A
andronicus83
We had a rough start. We didn't get up there until about 9 pm because we stopped at a restaurant for dinner about 15 minutes outside of the lake. It was this surreal restaurant with a live bird exhibit and it took like 45 minutes to get our food. Plus everyone kept looking at us cause "we weren't from around there".

That night we spent a little time on the dock but got only one bite. Next day we found out that though the lake had been stocked one week prior nobody, I mean nobody, land or boat, was getting anything. Not even bites. We went all around the lake looking for the sweet spot with no luck. The only place with any reasonable success was the dam, but people were standing shoulder to shoulder to fish there. So we resigned ourselves to the dock.

We started our stint there around 1:30. At two our neighbors from the next campsite over came down and joined us and we noticed fish just started taking bugs off the top all around us. This was about 2 o'clock. We had been fishing powerbait from the bottom so at this point we all hooked on spinners and started cast and retrieve about 18" from the top. Third cast in, I hooked one. He took off with my brand new lure that my fiance had picked out for me. I was very dissapointed. I got the last laugh though because over the next hour he jumped out of the water a good 10 times trying to get my lure out of his mouth!

But he was only the beginning. The four of us hooked into about 10 fish. My fiance, on her 3rd day fishing, with her pink rod and pink spinner caught both of the two biggest fish that afternoon. Then at 3 o'clock the bite turned off and we never saw another fish all the way through this morning when we left. Below is a picture of the first fish my fiance caught. The second one was bigger but slipped out of her hands and into the water as we were getting the phone ready to take the picture.

So it sounds like those hatchery fish were fed at about 2 pm everyday because let me tell you, nobody was catching fish except then.

Last edited by a moderator:
O
OneMore
Ive had the same thing happen at a resturant not to far from the lake. Me and my brother stopped after a very long day for a very quick burger before the long drive home. No only did all the locals look at us really funny they got their food and ours took like an hour.:( I can say for sure im never stopping at any place near that lake for food.

C
capblack
check these out

check these out

Next time you guys are heading home from detroit. Stop by the gingerbread house in Mehama. You can't miss it its right on the highway, they have excellent burgers and fries, and even have elk burgers. If your into chinese, and have the time, take the same turnoff, and go to Dragon Chinese restaurant. It has excellent, affordable food in a hurry, and the people in Mehama will not discriminate, guaranteed. Even fisherman and fisherwoman are welcome there. I dont work or even know anyone that works at either place, but Ive always had good service and good food from them. I hope the people up the highway arent doing as you say, after all its the detroit traffic all spring and summer that keeps them open. Brian

F
FishFinger
Thanks for the report. I was driving past the lake today on my return trip from Central Or. The water looked great, boy was I wishin' I was fishin!
Big Cliff Res had perhaps 20+ boaters. Even if the fishin' was slow, what a great day to be on the water.

I saw a sign as I was passing through town mentioning a Derby that is being held May 15th - 17th. Got me thinkin' maybe a practice run might not be a bad idea.

R
rainbowfisherman
ok if i rented a boat up there tomorrow would it be worth it? has anyone tried the resorvoir?

O
Oregonchris
Cool report!...Did you notice one less bird at that restaurant after you ordered the chicken fried steak?:D

S
Spinalure
Detroit is slow

Detroit is slow

I was at Detroit today. I fished from a float tube where the North Santiam enters the lake. I tried everything and had no bites. I did not see anybody catch a fish. I wouldn't rent a boat there until the fishing picks up a bit.

T
trollin4trout
Trolled ALL OVER that lake on Saturday. We did catch 16 total by the end of the day- only one was as big as 12 inches. That was the slowest day at Detroit that I can remember- especially since I have long considered right after the first stocking and before opening day to be one of the hottest times you can fish there.

In the morning we did catch a couple or three in front of the state park. In the past it has seemed like the fish hang in that area after leaving the truck at the Mongold Ramp. We were around there an hour an a half or more though and could get no more to bite.

The other "hot" spot where we caught more than one was just east of the island, next to shore where the little "park" with restroom and picnic table is. We went up and down the rocky bank there and caught two or three. Sometimes this spot is on fire. Not this time.

The Santiam Arm was also disappointing, although I prefer to fish there when the lake is full and the river is actually open for fishing. There were too many bankers and boats and cramped quarters to waste any time there. Didn't see any action from anyone else there anyway.

Went back down lake to the mouth of the Blowiout Arm and trolled the south shore all the way to the dam with little to show for it. Trolled back up the middle of the lake- drifted with the wind for a couple hours. Ahhhh- quiet and peaceful at least. No biters.

The only interesting thing we saw was MASS quantities of fish on the sonar straight across from the Blowout Arm- we drifted through fish for at least a half hour. They were scattered at all depths from 50-100 down. We drove back upwind and drifted through again because the number of fish was impressive as I've ever seen there. Got one 12 incher down at 50ft. in those two passes. If they ever start biting it'll be a free-for-all!

Didn't see any fish caught and talked to one other boater at the ramp with no fish.

That's my report- oh yeah- while reeling in my line and winding up the electric downrigger- the wind spun us around and caught the wire on the prop!!! One 8lb weight and release now resting on the bottom in 285 feet of water! My buddy Dale would not volunteer to swim down and retrieve it:confused:- what kind of second mate is that??????:think: Well- that's always been my greatest fear since beginning downrigger fishing- so first time in 9 years- at least it didn't wrap the wire up in the prop and make a bigger mess. And no fingers were lost!

And the weather was spectacular! Sunshine is good!

Jim

M
mattandjamie
Detroit Apr 20th

Detroit Apr 20th

I was on the lake the same day. Got an early start with my Dad, Daughter and Son....they are only 3 and 5. Thought it would be little better start then previous weeks but... not so. I have been fishing Detroit all winter long and caught several nice trout and salmon. However my last two trips have been near awful catching, but the fishing has been great. Several weeks ago I was still using the low water ramp but the lake is almost full now and I wonder if that has effected the fish. Nonetheless our trip this weekend started picking up again. My daughter caught her first fish a small trout on a wedding ring spinner. We tried fishing a bit deeper but could only catch 8-10inchers. Nothing big was biting. It seemed to be the case for most of the guys and gals on the lake. All the usual hot spots were cold. Look forward to going again in a few days. It can only get better. One of these days I will get ahold of one of those 10 lbers that rest down deep. Until then any day fishin is a good day. I attached pictures of the kids fish this trip. Notice the masive poles and complicated tackle for these great fish.

Last edited by a moderator: