Request for a dedicated camping section in the forum

S

sirsnagalot

With all of the camping threads in this forum I'm surprised there hasn't been a section created yet dedicated to camping... I know I would would be one of the frequent posters in the section if we had one giving advice and asking for some. So if anyone else feels that we should have a dedicated camping section in the forum please chime in so that our moderators can maybe do something about it if we have enough interest. :pray::pray::pray:

S

sirsnagalot

C'mon guys/gals there can't just be me and one other person that would like to have a camping section

D

DB Crouper

C'mon guys/gals there can't just be me and one other person that would like to have a camping section

Probably a lot of campers are afraid to reveal their favorite spots, like with fishing and hunting spots. My wife gets up early many mornings and gets on forest service websites, trying to time the 7AM start time to reserve a decent spot, with far more failures than successes. Then you have to reserve the site for the whole week, pay for it, then remember to cancel the extra days, etc.
The system and the campsites are overloaded, and so sharing information makes one protective of their "honey" sites.
I still think your idea is good, and hope it catches on. Maybe we could learn of places that aren't overcrowded, and then share that information.

L

Lamzy

I think it is a wonderful idea.
Besides being a fly fisher I also belong to the Wet Westies VW camper group and when ever we camp in an area that has fishing in the area I am out with fly rod and reel.
We are going to Maupin in acouple of weeks and I am going a few days early so L can hit the big D.
So camping and fishing go together like fish and water.
KiltedBob

D

Dweller

I like the idea. I have watched many campsites fill up earlier and earlier over the years, but what this has done is lead me to discover new places that I really love. I tend to end up in disbursed, walk-in or first-come-first-served sites, so only find myself playing the reservation game once a year in January. I believe the site reservations for most campgrounds open up 6 months before the reservation date so if you want a site in a reservation campground, just mark your calendar. We have not been skunked in years camping at Timothy Lake over the July 4th weekend, but over the years has gone from busy, but manageable to completely filled (and then some). This year may be our last for this trip, but I have plenty of other options closer to home and less crowded.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
I think that is a dandy idea. Send a pm to the administrator,Anatolliy. He may not get around to it right away,but if he likes the idea he will act on it.
There are too many free campsites for the active membership to fill. No good reason not to share the info as far as I can figure. :lol:

S

sirsnagalot

I would/will contact Anatolli if there is more interest in creating the sub category. I really dont want to waste the time and resources if no one is really interested but all of 5 people lol. I am always looking for dispersed campsites because well I dont like to pay for camping and having to deal with quiet time at 10pm since my friends and I go out there to have fun and we usually stay up and drink/fish all night long if we can.

Troutski

Troutski

Free sites...

Free sites...

I don't live in your area so have no idea where the gems are, but down south bit we have plenty of free sites; on rivers, creeks and lakes. If you are interested in making the trip let me know and I can supply you with a list.
I am with you on staying in a fee camp ground; not that I haven't done it I just prefer the more space between sites the better.

Chuck

With views like this out your tent window. no charge:clap::cool:...I sure do love living in Oregon !!

P4280012.jpg

W

wozniasm

If you have to go with a pay site, try trillium. The sites are a decent distance between them.
Also, there are free sites on the other side of trillium. You turn off on a side road before you get to the pay site location. This road will also get you to the lake though it's a distance to the lake - too far to walk.

D

DB Crouper

I'm all for campsites that let me bring my little buddy. As I post this, he is blocking my 5th wheel, so that he doesn't get left at home.
Please let me know if your favorite campsites allow pets. I'll round off the spikes once they grow out.

Attachments

• spike n 5th wheel.jpg
    spike n 5th wheel.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 35
W

wozniasm

I'm all for campsites that let me bring my little buddy.
Trillium allows pets but they may have an issue with that cuttie you got there! I'm assuming he's just excercising his squatters rights - there may be some laws keeping you from keeping him....
Additionally, your buddy would have issues being on a leash!

D

DB Crouper

Trillium allows pets but they may have an issue with that cuttie you got there! I'm assuming he's just excercising his squatters rights - there may be some laws keeping you from keeping him....
Additionally, your buddy would have issues being on a leash!
We don't keep them, but unfortunately, we end up feeding them. We have at least 9 more regulars, and as it's fawning time, we can count on more. They are so darn cute, but can be a pain in the ass. Oh well... Here's a few of the fatherly ones.

Attachments

• 2 bucks.jpg
    2 bucks.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 42
  • nice buck.jpg
    nice buck.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 29
D

DB Crouper

I have a 3000 square foot garden, with a 7' nonclimb wire fence. It's the flowers that take a beating. Deer adapt and develop tastes for supposed non-deer plants, so we keep spraying stinky stuff, hang perfumed rags, and other unmentionable things. Gives my life purpose.

W

wozniasm

Try planting hot peppers around your flowers. that helped me out when I had a large garden down in Georgia...
They definitely don't like those and avoid the area once they try it once...