Report from Shelter Cove, Odell lake.

T
The Lucky Duck
The conditions on the lake are 3-4 feet of snow, clear roads to the top, packed snow to the marina, they are keeping the ramp plowed. The folks that are braving the elements are have good results with the macks, kokes are coming in but it is a little slow. Weather for this weeks looks really good. Can't wait for the new boat to get in on the action:thumb:

• mack2.jpg
C
CPLLEWIS

Any advice on what depth the Kokanee are running at? I am hoping to head up there next monday

jhop111
jhop111
Just got back from 2 days at odell. I targeted macks not kokanee. Marked shallow fast moving groups. Water temp 36. Not worth the drive for kokanee yet. You will need four wheel drive to get from the lodge up to highway 58. You will need chains and four wheel drive to launch. The packed snow is now ice. Lodge said our meager kokanee were first they have seen in person since first week of January. Trickle in is generous

C_Run
C_Run
That's a corpulent mack!

C
CPLLEWIS

Thanks! maybe I will wait to hit Odell

T
The Lucky Duck
jhop111 said:
Just got back from 2 days at odell. I targeted macks not kokanee. Marked shallow fast moving groups. Water temp 36. Not worth the drive for kokanee yet. You will need four wheel drive to get from the lodge up to highway 58. You will need chains and four wheel drive to launch. The packed snow is now ice. Lodge said our meager kokanee were first they have seen in person since first week of January. Trickle in is generous

A few questions, were you jigging or trolling? It has been my experience that in the early season jigging is much more effective than trolling. What depth were you catching the kokes at? How big were they? Was there any ice around the edges, that is ice that was permanent? Where? Were those fast moving schools big? This is exciting news for me, I am use to chasing the fast/shallow schools with my 360 FF. Those fish usually play with jigs.

jhop111
jhop111
There was no consistent depth of the kokanee throughout the trip. I suspect many are scattered in the upper 30 ft. Mackinaw were constantly moving to 40 ft and slashing at them. Yes there was ice. I broke a transducer launching the boat. I targeted macks but my friend ran a topline for kokes. Far from optimum conditions and nobody else on the lake was targeting kokes either.
The 360 is perfect for what you do. I'm leaning towards the panoptix from garmin. I already run garmin and the side vu is a good tool for kokes too. Talking with friends at the portland show, we all have high hopes for this year and not just odell. Therr will be big fish .. there already is ..