Replacing my s-10 pickup

N

nimzrock

Greetings all,
After 21 years and 280K miles my little S-10 has a hole in a piston. It has been a great truck other than 5 computers and one used tranny. I would appreciate any info you have on small and mid sized truck reliability. I want decent milage so I will go 4 cylinder again or move up to a 6. I am currently leaning towards dakotas or a tacoma.
Thanx for any and all suggestions - Nimz

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
I'm no truck expert,but I know I love Toyota products. I had a Toyota truck that finally died after close to 375,000 miles on it. I have a Sienna van right now,but if I got the chance to go back to a truck,it would be the Tacoma. Good luck and don't forget to let us know what you decide on.

M

Mike123

Uhm, what year is your S-dime...? I'm looking for an 80's S-10. I want a beater that has a blown engine cause I'm goin to drop a small block in it and fix it up. ;)

I would go Toyota. Those 22R's are invincible on the older ones. If you aren't towing a huge boat a 4cyl would do just fine. Anything non-domestic should give you few problems. lol. I'm not a huge fan of domestic vehicles. I like my fathers' Ranger, but it has problems quite often. F.O.R.D.... fix or repair daily.

Last edited:
C

capblack

if its milage your after, get a yota with a 4 banger, if you need power then get a 1/2 ton chev with a 350. decent milage and plenty of power. the v6 and 8 in the foreigns dont get good milage.

M

Mike123

if its milage your after, get a yota with a 4 banger, if you need power then get a 1/2 ton chev with a 350. decent milage and plenty of power. the v6 and 8 in the foreigns dont get good milage.

True statement! Even better, if you want to haul a boat, get a diesel. They make Dakota's with V8's that will do the job too if you don't want to go full size.

B

BlackBass

Said day for the Chevy S10 I feel your pain. I have a 84 chevy s10 with 120,000 original miles :) I drive her to work everyday and have made some serious change with her bed :) Mike you can't touch my truck for under $800 LOL.

Last edited:
H

Hawk

Greetings all,
After 21 years and 280K miles my little S-10 has a hole in a piston. It has been a great truck other than 5 computers and one used tranny. I would appreciate any info you have on small and mid sized truck reliability. I want decent milage so I will go 4 cylinder again or move up to a 6. I am currently leaning towards dakotas or a tacoma.
Thanx for any and all suggestions - Nimz

Howdy Bro...:)

Since 1989 i've been driving my 1988 S-10. She is the lifted 4x4, auto tranny version with the 4.3 litre V-6 engine. She has Smitty front & rear bumpers, camper shell & bed liner, oversized all terrain tires. I still have the same engine & tranny but i don't have too many miles. Just 152000.

I LOve my S-10...:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool::cool:

She isn't the only 4x4 vehicle i drive though. I picked up some other used vehicles.

Good Luck in what you choose fer a New ride Bro...
:)

L

lilsalmon

Since we are talking trucks....anyone want to trade a reliable fishin truck for a '06 PT Cruiser?...and the payments....:D just thought I would ask........

C

Combat Chuck

Me, my brother and my grandpa all have (or had) 4 cyl. Rangers. My brothers has really taken a beating and is still strong. Its a 1992 and he drove to South Dakota not long ago. I found them to be much better than what most people think (which is "buy any truck, as long as its a toyota"). I would say dont rule out any brand, they are all very competitive. I would base it more on condition and history of each individual vehicle.

Last edited: