Removing fish from the water???

T
Thuggin4Life
Ok so after a brief look into what i already thought i knew i didn't find much so i thought i would just ask. I know that it says with bulltrout not to remove them from the water whatsoever. And i think somewhere along the lines you aren't supossed to take any fish out of the water to take a pic and release it. now i know that most of us know what we are doing and take some fish out snap a pic and send them on there way. then you got the monkeys who fist of fury them and snapp a pic and send them back belly up or soon to be belly up. I sometimes snap pictures of fish i don't keep and sometimes i don't. I take it on a case by case situation. I dont have a pic of my only bull trout becasue i was in my boat but i have a picture of my buddies big bull trout we got while banking it with waders. I have tons of coho pics from rivers where they had to go back and i also dont have pics of coho caught on the same system. but here is the question is it just fromed apon or is it extremely illegal to take a picture of a steelhead/trout/salmon that you plan on not keeping or just can't legally retain. and then if it so illegal to take fish out of the water that aren't being retained then why does every bass angler in america grab ther bucket mouths by the bucket for the money shots? and how is it that bass don't fall into this illegal act. Even the pros can be seen with a fist full of buckets. but i squat in the river in my waders and tke a pic of a wild winer less than 3 feet out of the water and i'm the bad guy? any thoughts on this would make for a great discusion.

H
halibuthitman
What question Andy... Tough answer, couldn't I exPlain god or quantum theory instead.. That would be easier and have less opinions! Good luck with this!

Reactions: OnTheFly
S
Sinkline
I know there is a thread in here somewhere on this subject from earlier this year???

Randy

F
flipper
I've always tried to keep every Salmonidae/sub-species type fish in the water as much as possible. Most of them seem very delicate compared to say bass/panfish. I've never heard of it being illegal to take a fish out of water, but I do know some view it as very un-fish-ethical.

My rule of thumb:

Salmonidae/sub-species = Avoid out-of-water situations.
Bass/Panfish = Tough buggers, they can stay out of water for longer periods.

H
hookbait
Bass at least, are tough buggers. I bonked one at Hagg this year that had taken a #2 trout spinner so deep I couldn't get it out without surgery. It was at the end of the day so I loaded up in the car and headed home to FG. When I got home I pulled the bucket out of the trunk of my car and the thing had revived and was flopping. It had been out of water for 15 to 20 min at this point. Now I doubt it would have pulled through, but if it refused to give up by then I doubt a 30 sec hoist by the lip for a picture would have made much difference to it at all.

Also, as of the 2012 regs the catch and release guideline still has the "should not be removed from the water" wording.

K
Keith
Case by case basis.... with basic common sense. :shock:

We are all experienced enough to know if the fish (any fish) is too tired or too old or too injured to endure a quick picture. Sometimes I have to take my time reviving the fish before I let it go - regardless of if I wanted to take a picture or not. In a case like this NO picture.

If you intend to release the fish and it cannot stand the picture, do not take one. Keep the fish in the water get some water flowing over its gills, let it rest and let it go when it is ready. Don't revive it and then take it out of the water for a picture….numb nutts!!

However, if the fish is still feisty and you want a picture have your buddy ready to go, kneel down, pick up the fish (EASY!!), take the picture fast and put it back in the water.

I have taken loads of pictures of fish and never had a problem because no picture is worth the life of a fish I do not intend to keep.

Not illegal - just stupid if you kill a fish for a picture.

Rant over!! :D:)

P
PNW Sam
It isn't illegal, but it is printed in the regulations that fish that will be released should not be removed from the water.

In my opinion, if you have someone that has the camera ready and it is a quick lift the fish out, take a pic, put it back it's just fine. If you fumble around with the fish out of water for any amount of time and hurt it then it's not alright.

K
Kevinb5688
I have caught hundreds of bass, i have a bass boat with a livewell and 10 5 lb bass will survive in there all day with water circulating only 10 mins. Every hour.
I had a 1 lb bass survive in my horse troft for years and finally released it in a pond when it was 3 lbs.
They are a crazy fish.
Trout/salmon/steelhead i only take pics. Of fish that i reel in fast and seem healthy.
The guys who use 8lb test on a 25 lb salmon and take 30 minutes to get it in do more harm than a quick picture after a short fight.
I guess its a personal thing. The day i release a fish that goes belly up is the day i will stop taking pictures all together.

Reactions: OnTheFly
P
plumb2fish
halibuthitman said:
What question Andy... Tough answer, couldn't I exPlain god or quantum theory instead.. That would be easier and have less opinions! Good luck with this!
Brad,
Tell us of this Quantum Theory....
Andy,
Not ILLEGAL, it is suggested that it is not done. The reasoning is quite simple....LOTS of MONKEYS OUT THERE....
In Washington it is illegal to remove a fish that is going to be released from the water COMPLETELY...KEEP EM WET...LAND EM QUICK...If you think its nec. get a grip n grin....

E
eat, sleep, fish
In Washington it is illegal, but in Oregon it is just suggested.

When it comes to salmon/trout/steelhead it depends a lot on water temperature, and is mainly due to handling time. When you're lifting a fish out of the water for a picture you're just increasing the amount of handling time. When the water is above 50 degrees handling time can have a significant effect on mortality, however below 50 degrees and your talking less than 1/10th of a percent for a normal quick lift with a couple of pics.

The biggest factor on catch and release mortality is hook placement

L
Logger707
Illegal to remove oversized sturgeon

troutdude
troutdude
Logger707 said:
Illegal to remove oversized sturgeon

Of course that would be...cuz you'd need a crane. :shock:

H
hookbait
troutdude said:
Of course that would be...cuz you'd need a crane. :shock:

No doubt. Plus the random thoughts of, "Man, that thing is big enough to swallow my arm."

E
eugene1
Good idea to bring this up, thuggin.

When we get nooks, coho, or steel that can't be retained we don't even net them. Take the pliers and get the hook out with the fish in the water. I don't even care about getting a pic, but on the other hand, I don't freak out if someone else wants to. I would never get outraged if someone wants to get a quick pic of their fish, and let it go afterwards. The law in OR is suggesting that salmonids be kept in the water if not kept.

Up in WA it seems stricter, but I see a lot of fish held for a grip and grin pic with just their tail part way in the water. Legal, but barely, but I'm fine with that too.

Bass? not sure on the regs as I don't fish them here but they are hardy beasts. I've kept them in a 5 gallon pail for hours with no refreash water and they are good to go back in the river if I wouldn't have cleaned them.

T
Thuggin4Life
thanks guys. i thought i read somewhere that it was illegal but couldn't find it so i asked. I'm just gonna keep doing what i do and even if it was illegal i wouldn't change a thing. RWS i must have missed that post since i gave up on that thread.

jamisonace
jamisonace
So I take it there are some who would frown on the way my boys yard fish into the boat, bang them off one side of the boat to the other, drop them on the floor, grab them with both hands, pick them up, drop them to the floor again, watch them slide under the fish box, push them out from under the fish box with a stick, grab them with both hands again and hand them to dad to revive and watch gleefully as the fish swim away in a frantic haste to escape my little monsters.

Reactions: brandon4455
K
Kevinb5688
jamisonace said:
So I take it there are some who would frown on the way my boys yard fish into the boat, bang them off one side of the boat to the other, drop them on the floor, grab them with both hands, pick them up, drop them to the floor again, watch them slide under the fish box, push them out from under the fish box with a stick, grab them with both hands again and hand them to dad to revive and watch gleefully as the fish swim away in a frantic haste to escape my little monsters.

Lol, well said.
Some people hug trees, some "hug" fish. Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt want to kill a fish i can't keep, but some people act like one touch and poof there dead.

C
colbypearson
If your planning on releasing a fish it should seriously be handled as little as possible @jamisonace I hope that is mostly sarcasm. If that's true and happens how you stated I absolutely guarantee you that it has negative impacts on the fish you catch & release, but i hope its not the truth.

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
i think it's fine taking a fish out of water for a quick "grip and grin" picture, wet your hands before handling of course. ive seen people a kick a fish to the bank and basically tackle it just for a picture. I Just tail the fish or use my C&r net, remove the hook, cradle em in my wet hands and release.. I agree with colby..jamisonace, just because the fish swims away doesn't mean it's not going to die,rubbing the slime of and mistreating the fish can end bad for them...and even if it doesn't what kind of person bangs a fish up like that.. disrespectful if you ask me. if you really treat the fish that way and don't teach your kids propper fish handling for the ones being released then you don't deserve a fishing liscense in your wallet period.. pictures are cool and all but they are not everything.

H
halibuthitman
wow.. really, holy ****.. if you love these things so damn much to be this opinionated... why do you even fish for them... it could hurt them.. your actions and passions don't jive... I don't believe all this false religion, I think it makes you all feel better about what your doing.... like the bowl of white rice to a starving african kid, you never even realize how many the rice kills.. but you tried, and that makes it all good.