Remove stickers and letters

W
WGS55
I purchased a boat out of state, and need to remove the old stickers and numbers. Fiberglass boat. Whats the best way to get them off so I can put my new ones on?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I use Goo Gone around the house to remove all sorts of adhesive. Whatever you try, test it on a small spot to make sure it won't damage the boat.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the sticker. Peel the off by hand. Then wipe down with adhesive remover, i.e. Goo gone.

Do not get heat too close and don't be tempted to use a razor blade. If they've been on a long time, expect it to be a pain in the A.

E
eugene1
Any of the citrus-based cleaners should help!

Troutski
Troutski
Warm weather...

Warm weather...

Are they the stickers normally used for house addresses? I am facing that issue, they are kind of at an angle... I have decided to wait until Summer, heat has to help.

Chuck

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
I used to own a detail shop and this is what I used to do striping and lettering removal on older fiberglass boats, cars, trucks, vans, etc.... 3M Eraser Wheel and preferably a cordless drill is all you need. Watch this video, ignore the annoying background noise and there is some good information here. The 3M wheel should cost around $30 depending on where you find it. This product is MAGIC and it will save you time and headache. Just don't use it at too high speed and create too much heat with it. It doesn't take that much pressure to work. Remember that over everything if you choose to use one! Heat = Burnt Gel Coat or Paint. Best of luck and please post a follow up if you use it. Follow up with a gel coat cleaner and then a good polish and wax to the area you worked on. OR, the whole boat! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsVVizoGANk
Cheers,

Chris

Troutski
Troutski
Wonderful tool....

Wonderful tool....

MrGrumpFish said:
I used to own a detail shop and this is what I used to do striping and lettering removal on older fiberglass boats, cars, trucks, vans, etc.... 3M Eraser Wheel and preferably a cordless drill is all you need. Watch this video, ignore the annoying background noise and there is some good information here. The 3M wheel should cost around $30 depending on where you find it. This product is MAGIC and it will save you time and headache. Just don't use it at too high speed and create too much heat with it. It doesn't take that much pressure to work. Remember that over everything if you choose to use one! Heat = Burnt Gel Coat or Paint. Best of luck and please post a follow up if you use it. Follow up with a gel coat cleaner and then a good polish and wax to the area you worked on. OR, the whole boat! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsVVizoGANk
Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris, great video... will make short work of my decals...

Chuck

plumbertom
plumbertom
I need to do the same thing on my jon boat but it's aluminium with camo paint.