Remingtoon M700

G
GDBrown
Anyone watch the report on CNBC tonight? I'm about to go watch the recording I made. I've read some of what is being said on shooting forums and it is a mixed bag. Some of the think it is just a crusade by the liberals to get more guns OFF the market.

What are your thoughts? I shot a M700 ADL back in the 70's and never had a problem. Although I usually never chambered a round until I was ready to use it, so the safety wasn't used much either. Rock-chucks at 300 yards don't know the sound of a round being chambered! LOL

GD

R
RLK
I don't watch cnbc. Not sure what your gettin at here but The M700 is an excelent weapon (not a gun). The best thing about it has got to be the action, it's very strong and durable. Probably the reason the military has been using it for a sniper rifle since vietnam. I tend to like the rugers, but one looking for a great hunting or target bolt action you can't go wrong with the rem 700.
The saftey on an firearm is only as safe as the one carring it. Good shooting.
Rich.

G
GDBrown
Just noting an event that may eventually have an impact on our choices of weapons. After watching the whole report my first impression was here is another example of corporate greed. They knowingly continued producing a product that could have been made safer for just $.05 per rifle and chose not to. As my boss would say: "To many product design decisions being made in the accounting office."

I always liked my 700, but like I said before, I never chamber a round until just before I intend to use it, so I rarely rely on a "Safety" to keep me safe.
My latest rifle is an older (not pre-64) Winchester Model 70. I completely went through the whole weapon and even re-bedded the action in the stock before I ever put a round in the chamber. Now I can hit gallon milk jugs at 300 yards all day. (that's about the size of a rock-chuck or the kill zone on a deer)

Be Safe whatever you shoot, whenever you shoot.

GD

T
Thuggin4Life
i am curious what the issue was exactly since i plan on getting 700 sometime next year so i can start hunting since i spent too much money on the boat this year.

G
GDBrown
Safe "Safeties" on rifles?

Safe "Safeties" on rifles?

Thuggin4Life said:
i am curious what the issue was exactly since i plan on getting 700 sometime next year so i can start hunting since i spent too much money on the boat this year.

The "safety" on the Rem 700 does not block anything, it only impedes some parts from moving. Most of the other brands of rifles; Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Sako, etc. have "safeties" that Block the firing pin from moving forward when in the safe position. There is nothing inherently wrong with a Rem 700 if you don't rely on the "Safety" to keep you safe.:rolleyes:

I'd buy another one in a minute if the price was right.

GD

R
RLK
GDBrown said:
The "safety" on the Rem 700 does not block anything, it only impedes some parts from moving. Most of the other brands of rifles; Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Sako, etc. have "safeties" that Block the firing pin from moving forward when in the safe position. There is nothing inherently wrong with a Rem 700 if you don't rely on the "Safety" to keep you safe.:rolleyes:

I'd buy another one in a minute if the price was right.

GD
Have there been any acidents due to this safety? Or is this something from the media to stew the pot? Any firearm with a crossbolt type saftey does not block the firing pin. any saftey on any weapon can fail at any minute. When you get the input from the media let us know.

G
GDBrown
Watch the report, then chime in!

M
metalmania
My 700 will discharge via the safety about 10% of the time I flip it. My buddys rifle also did the same thing, except his did it more frequently so he got rid of it. I wish this was just media hype, but sadly there is a legitimate problem with these guns. Atleast there accurate though:D.

R
RLK
A brief description will be found here from CNBC
News Headlines

I have seen many different makes and models fail in one way or another. I have an old mossburg bolt action do that. As I said earlier a weapon is only as safe as the person carring it. If your not willing to destroy it don't point it in that directiot, even if it is not loaded.
Rich

G
GDBrown
Final words

Final words

I'm a firm believer of never loading a weapon until I'm ready to use it. (except my CCW)
That said, I have been checking the web tonight for more information on the Remington 700. I will just share this portion of a page from Remington's Corporate web site.

"Safety Modification Program"

"Remington is extending through December 31, 2010, its Safety Modification Program to remove the bolt-lock mechanism from certain Remington bolt-action centerfire firearms made prior to March, 1982. (Post-1982 bolt-action firearms were not manufactured with bolt-lock mechanisms). To determine whether your firearm has a bolt-lock mechanism and is subject to the safety modification program, click on the model listed below and follow the directions included.

The unloading process for most bolt-action firearms with a bolt-lock mechanism cannot begin unless the manual safety is placed in the "F" or "Off or Fire" position. If you participate in the program your firearm will be modified to eliminate the bolt-lock feature and you will be able to unload your firearm while the safety is kept in the "S" or " On Safe" position. The operation of your firearm will not otherwise be affected.

Here are the basic program elements:

* The firearms will be cleaned and inspected and the bolt lock mechanism will be removed for $20.00 plus shipping and handling.
* We will return the gun to you with a safety redemption certificate to complete and submit in order to receive a free blaze orange hat. (one hat per certificate)

Please click on the centerfire model to obtain more information on the program for the specific model, as there are some differences in the program based on model type:

Model 700 Model 721 Model 722 Model XP-100
Model 600 Model 660 Model 40-X

The following bolt-action centerfire firearms are not subject to the Safety Modification Program. Please click on the model for more information on the firearm.

Model 700 ML Model 710 Model 725 Model 788
Model 78 Model 30 & 30 Express Model Seven

If you have a bolt-action rifle with a bolt-lock mechanism, and you do not wish to have the lock removed, you must be sure to follow this IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE: Be sure the rifle is pointing in a safe direction anytime you move the manual safety to the "F" or "Off or Fire" position. As soon as you have lifted the bolt, immediately put the manual safety back in the "S" or "On Safe" position and then continue the unloading process." (italics added)

I'll now leave you folks to draw your own conclusions...;)

I'd still buy one in a minute,

GD

H
halibuthitman
Ive always been a mod 70 guy myself, Remington has never been a favorite Brand for me.. But I do have a mod 52..or 54? 22 rimfire that does the same thing.. but if you want to see a REALLY dangerous firearm... both my Browning BAR magnums will discharge simply by pounding the Butt on the ground hard. But just like a bad woman.. I love how they feel and will always have a place in my heart for them. I would like to hear what an army scout sniper thinks of the 700. I do know that the 700 mountain rife in the kevlar and short barrel chambered in the 270 winchester was a s.o.b of a gun to tap the trigger on!

T
Thuggin4Life
wow thats some serious ****. so i am confused about the info. is it just the older guns or are even the new ones gonna be doing this? makes me rethink my hunting rifle choice.

M
metalmania
Thuggin4Life said:
wow thats some serious ****. so i am confused about the info. is it just the older guns or are even the new ones gonna be doing this? makes me rethink my hunting rifle choice.

From what i've heard it's both old and new. Mines only 2 years old and it does it. It seems that only a small percentage of them do it though. I wouldn't totally overlook the 700, as I think there great guns and can be very accurate. And a new timney trigger would remedy any problem it may have.