releasing native silver in the ocean

Irishrover
Irishrover
Releasing native silvers out in the ocean can prove interesting. My Father, my Wife and I were fishing out of Warrenton. We were trolling hoochies out south of the CR buoy. I had rigged up a cup hook on a dowl and the idea is to slide the cup hook down the line and put pressure onto the barbless hook and presto the fish is free. All this with no net and no hands on the fish. I forget were I saw this but it wasn't my original idea. It worked most of the time. The trick is to spot the adipose fin while still reeling the fish in. I was leaning over the gunnel with my handy fish releaser about to release a fish my wife had hooked. Below the surface of the water I saw a large brown blob that was approaching straight up at us fast. My brain was still trying to make sence of the stituation when the blob turned into a large seal. It grabbed the silver and took off. I told my wife to hang onto the rod and we chased after the seal becase our gear was still hooked to the salmon. The seal stopped shook his head and pop off came the head of the salmon. We reeled in the salmon head and got our gear......

Same thing going on only this time I use my salmon releaser and the hook comes out but the fish is weak. I take the tail work the fish until it is ready to swim. It gets about eight feet from the boat when a shark shows up and swallows the darn salmon. I think I'll be more careful about putting my hands in that water from now on........ We landed 27 silvers that day before we got our 6 hatchery fish. The only two we lost were to the seal and the shark. I'm going to put the cup hook on a longer dowl;)

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The big IF...

The big IF...

Whoa,that is scary stuff,Irish! Now, IF that had been my hand,my boat and my gear, the deck of the boat is not the only thing that would have been VERY wet! :lol: :lol: :pray:
Barb

N
ninja2010
i don't mean to hijack, but your story just reminded me... i had a 3-strikes-on-one-lure experience once, fishing the kelp beds off the coast of la jolla.

i was jigging for bass and hooked up an a nice sized calico. as i reeled, about 10 feet from the boat i saw a school of cudas dash out from the kelp forest towards the easy prey. one of them sliced clean through the bass leaving just the head and partial torso. i thought, "what the heck! that's not fair..." and no sooner had i recovered from the shock of that ambush, suddenly my rod went ultra bendo and line starts screaming off. i was caught by such surprise, all i could do was lean back hard to keep from going overboard. i had no idea what just snagged the half-calico.

then it surfaced about 50 yards away - the dog of the sea. it stared at me with its beady dark eyes and a half grin as if saying, "i ain't letting go of my free lunch, sucker..." i had no choice but to cut my line at the reel coz there was no way for me to win this tug-of-war.

'twas crazy sick as all hell.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
No hijack here it's a fishing thread. And I like your story. That ocean is a funny place to fish. If you get out there after salmon you'll have a blast!

N
ninja2010
Irishrover said:
No hijack here it's a fishing thread. And I like your story. That ocean is a funny place to fish. If you get out there after salmon you'll have a blast!

thanks irishrover.

someday... soon i hope. i love the ocean. for now, it's the steelie, then maybe some river springers.

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
i don't mean to hijack, but your story just reminded me... i had a 3-strikes-on-one-lure experience once, fishing the kelp beds off the coast of la jolla.

i was jigging for bass and hooked up an a nice sized calico. as i reeled, about 10 feet from the boat i saw a school of cudas dash out from the kelp forest towards the easy prey. one of them sliced clean through the bass leaving just the head and partial torso. i thought, "what the heck! that's not fair..." and no sooner had i recovered from the shock of that ambush, suddenly my rod went ultra bendo and line starts screaming off. i was caught by such surprise, all i could do was lean back hard to keep from going overboard. i had no idea what just snagged the half-calico.

then it surfaced about 50 yards away - the dog of the sea. it stared at me with its beady dark eyes and a half grin as if saying, "i ain't letting go of my free lunch, sucker..." i had no choice but to cut my line at the reel coz there was no way for me to win this tug-of-war.

'twas crazy sick as all hell.

He he, that reminds me of hawaii.... who knows what can grab your line in very warm waters! Theres those unicorn fishies to the shiny stripped yellow ones... to frog fishes...

A
ArcticAmoeba
I've got a good salt story...
We were out harassing Albacore, roughly 74 N.M.'s from shore, and we had beaten ourselves up all day. Finding the temp. changes, spotting birds...Making the decks red! We decided to put 3 rods out over night, and have a anyone who wanted to get another late night Tuna fight, able to do so. This is your standard Light Duty, Albacore gear. Nothing special. As I am the only one left awake, besides the skip, I hear the slightest tick, tick, tick...Tick. Then the spool just explodes. Stripping 100 yard every 15-20 seconds. The skipper throttles around, and I try to pick up the slack, and as I do we are literally chasing this monster down. At 4 A.M. mind you. We get set again, and think the fish is tired, and I have been on the pump for about 45 minutes. About to die from exhaustion. Arms on fire! Then the fish runs again, and the reel begins to get hot to the touch. Cranked drags didn't stop this fish. Took out in excess of 3/8 mile of line, and still snapped it off the reel...So what the hell? I was dumbfounded.
Well 4 hours later, feeling rather disgusted that the fish was probably going to die, we see the mainline...Braid floats! We immediately rig it back up to the sturdiest Tuna rod on the boat, and the deckhand is determined to skip this fish to the stern. I ease up on the throttles, and position the boat, and they get to reeling in the slack. Well, before they could, the line was dancing all over, and they ended up getting worked over on a giant Tuna rod, for about 5 minutes, then dead weight. They reeled up a completely torn up Tuna. Biggest Albacore I had ever seen, and it was absolutely chomped. The Tuna could have easily weighed in at over 150 pounds! We weighed what was left, and it was mostly head, and tail and bones...46 pounds. Don't know what kind of Shark it was, but its bite radius was roughly 19 inches. Pretty large if you ask me. Strange things happen in the Ocean. Strange things. Lets hear some more salty stories! I know there are more!

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
I've got a good salt story...
We were out harassing Albacore, roughly 74 N.M.'s from shore, and we had beaten ourselves up all day. Finding the temp. changes, spotting birds...Making the decks red! We decided to put 3 rods out over night, and have a anyone who wanted to get another late night Tuna fight, able to do so. This is your standard Light Duty, Albacore gear. Nothing special. As I am the only one left awake, besides the skip, I hear the slightest tick, tick, tick...Tick. Then the spool just explodes. Stripping 100 yard every 15-20 seconds. The skipper throttles around, and I try to pick up the slack, and as I do we are literally chasing this monster down. At 4 A.M. mind you. We get set again, and think the fish is tired, and I have been on the pump for about 45 minutes. About to die from exhaustion. Arms on fire! Then the fish runs again, and the reel begins to get hot to the touch. Cranked drags didn't stop this fish. Took out in excess of 3/8 mile of line, and still snapped it off the reel...So what the hell? I was dumbfounded.
Well 4 hours later, feeling rather disgusted that the fish was probably going to die, we see the mainline...Braid floats! We immediately rig it back up to the sturdiest Tuna rod on the boat, and the deckhand is determined to skip this fish to the stern. I ease up on the throttles, and position the boat, and they get to reeling in the slack. Well, before they could, the line was dancing all over, and they ended up getting worked over on a giant Tuna rod, for about 5 minutes, then dead weight. They reeled up a completely torn up Tuna. Biggest Albacore I had ever seen, and it was absolutely chomped. The Tuna could have easily weighed in at over 150 pounds! We weighed what was left, and it was mostly head, and tail and bones...46 pounds. Don't know what kind of Shark it was, but its bite radius was roughly 19 inches. Pretty large if you ask me. Strange things happen in the Ocean. Strange things. Lets hear some more salty stories! I know there are more!

Haha, I already told this in another thread, but I went err... flossing in Hawaii...

On the way there, right before we went through the metal detectors, we all of a sudden found one of my salmon spinners hooked on the bottom of a backpack! We just threw it in a bag because we couldnt go back, and it got through... So in hawaii, I took some 14 feet of floss and tied it to the spinner, got some shrimp, and took the boogie board out into the ocean. Just trolled around and fish on! Well, not on, but biting... big hooks like that arent meant for 6 inch feeshes... almost caught dinner!
And another day, i found a tide pool and saw a 3 inch fish dartin around. I scared it into a small bayish thing (uber small bay) and dammed it up. Then caught it with my hand! Then I walked back to the actual ocean and C&R the poor little thing... was fun...

H
Hawk
I've spent a lot of time around the Hawaiian Islands, caught&released hammerhead sharks (used shrimp), etc

explored the reef's...............................grass shack on a river...........................................:D:D:D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
One and only time

One and only time

Hawk said:
I've spent a lot of time around the Hawaiian Islands, caught&released hammerhead sharks (used shrimp), etc

explored the reef's...............................grass shack on a river...........................................:D:D:D

My late hubby and I were fishing off the pier at Pismo Beach (35+ years ago) and I caught a baby shark. Our German Shepherd went nuts at the same time down under the pier. Upon investigating we discovered the beach was littered with shark...ON THE BEACH!!
Barb

Irishrover
Irishrover
This thread is cracking me up!:lol:

A few years back my son and I was fish out of Newport. We were out by Stonewall Banks fishing for silvers. We kept loosing gear to sharks. Darn thing will cut a line in a hurry. We were trolling hoochies with a piece of fish for smell on the last hook. Guess the sharks like them little pieces. One of those sharks hook himself just behind the head on his back. The line started screaming out and at first thought we had a big chinook........wrong. I chased after the fish and he came up enough to see it was a shark. Being totally luck we wore the fish down and for some crazy reason netted the thing. I cut the line and asked my son what he thought we should do with it. He replied "put him back he was foul hooked" so that is what we did after a picture of course!

F
FishSchooler
Irishrover said:
This thread is cracking me up!:lol:

A few years back my son and I was fish out of Newport. We were out by Stonewall Banks fishing for silvers. We kept loosing gear to sharks. Darn thing will cut a line in a hurry. We were trolling hoochies with a piece of fish for smell on the last hook. Guess the sharks like them little pieces. One of those sharks hook himself just behind the head on his back. The line started screaming out and at first thought we had a big chinook........wrong. I chased after the fish and he came up enough to see it was a shark. Being totally luck we wore the fish down and for some crazy reason netted the thing. I cut the line and asked my son what he thought we should do with it. He replied "put him back he was foul hooked" so that is what we did after a picture of course!

AHHHH!!! Couldnt that thing of bitten someones hand off?! :shock: That thing is big! I didn't know that sharks were this common in oregon... let alone in oregon...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Oh yes there are shark off the oregon coast. Once in a while you will hear of a surffer getting bit. I believe the most common off oregon is the blue shark. I have seen one thresher shark. When you are trolling for salmon you know it's a shark when you get a big hit, your reel starts to scream, and then bang nothing, no gear just line. So watch your fingers.

F
FishSchooler
All your shark stories are gettin me frightened about local waters..............:rolleyes:;) Good thing I have only saltwater fished once...

S
SoylentGreen
Man alive, 27 silvers in a day? Where do I sign up?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Thats salt fishin for Salmon for ya. We have done the same thing, sort through a bunch of fins, and whack the clips. Lots of fun, but it gets tiresome on the ol arms after a dozen or so! Haha.:lol:

F
FishFinger
Threasher shark is amazing table fare.

Steaked and broiled with herb butter...oh oh oh

I've eaten Mako as well.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yup when those silver school up off the mouth of the Columbia and you land in the middle of them with your boat oh boy it's fish on! Some times it's hard to get all the rods in the water before a call of Fish on!

Next time I land a shark Fishfinger I'll be calling you for the recipe:)

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Sorry to spoil err... your "sharky" appetites :)lol:) but eating sharks is like... err... I read somewhere shark fin soup is bad for you... and bad for the shark pop, and the shark no duh... :rolleyes:

L
luv2fish
Irishrover said:
Oh yes there are shark off the oregon coast. Once in a while you will hear of a surffer getting bit. I believe the most common off oregon is the blue shark. I have seen one thresher shark. When you are trolling for salmon you know it's a shark when you get a big hit, your reel starts to scream, and then bang nothing, no gear just line. So watch your fingers.[/QUOTE

what a coincidence, I was looking at the "great whites" article on national geographic" and you guys will be surprised to hear that after the coast of South Africa, the4 biggest great whites which exceeds over 16 feet of length are found 50 miles offshore the coast of Astoria and yet except a shark story here and there we don't hear much.

And fish schooler------there's nothing wrong with shark soup and even the fin soup as well, except the fact that they throw sharks back in water after rippin the fins ( which in my POV is just one hideous act ).
I've been to places where i got the oppurtunity to have shark soup and not just once but many times.

Last edited: