Regulation question

S
skunk
Has anyone noticed that the new 2011 Fishing reg book has in blue "Unlawful to: take game fish hooked other than hooked inside the mouth".

I checked 2010 and it says "Unlawful to: take game fish hooked other than in the mouth".

Since this is only my second season for steel and salmon is this a large rule change or just a clarification?

O
OnTheFly
skunk said:
Has anyone noticed that the new 2011 Fishing reg book has in blue "Unlawful to: take game fish hooked other than hooked inside the mouth".

I checked 2010 and it says "Unlawful to: take game fish hooked other than in the mouth".

Since this is only my second season for steel and salmon is this a large rule change or just a clarification?
It sounds like a clarification to me.

C
capblack
sounds like the nec. its just a clarification, they both say the same thing. someone must have complained. its the technical way of saying NO SNAGGING!!!

troutdude
troutdude
There was a lengthy discussion on here earlier this year.

It is just a way for ODFW, to clarify the reg. A legal catch in on the inside of the mouth...NOT outside w/ the hook protruding into the inside of the mouth (i.e. snagging).

S
skunk
Ok, I just have noticed maybe once a yr when I dry fly fish for trout, I'll get a little excited and set the hook early enough, or the fish misses and it all comes together and the hook ends up outside the mouth but in the jaw, or corner, etc. This really wouldn't be a legal catch then?

troutdude
troutdude
Let's just say, that if you keep it and a game warden was watching...you'd better be prepared to fork over $150 to the state. Catch my drift amigo?

S
skunk
Understood, just never ran into many wardens yet. Am I correct in the reading that I am not in violation if this happens, just if I retain the fish?

O
OnTheFly
capblack said:
sounds like the nec. its just a clarification, they both say the same thing. someone must have complained. its the technical way of saying NO SNAGGING!!!
Just wondering if you were an electrician.

troutdude
troutdude
skunk said:
Understood, just never ran into many wardens yet. Am I correct in the reading that I am not in violation if this happens, just if I retain the fish?

Yeah, I've only seen a handful of wardens/state cops in 45 years of fishing in Oregon. But, it can happen.

And you're bound to foul hook a fish from time to time. It's the right thing to do, to release one that is foul hooked (not legally hooked inside of the mouth).

C
capblack
OnTheFly said:
Just wondering if you were an electrician.

yes, im guilty as charged

C
capblack
troutdude said:
Yeah, I've only seen a handful of wardens/state cops in 45 years of fishing in Oregon. But, it can happen.

And you're bound to foul hook a fish from time to time. It's the right thing to do, to release one that is foul hooked (not legally hooked inside of the mouth).

it all depends on where you fish. ive seen tons of staters and fish and game wardens, but i spend the summer on the lakes. i suppose if you trek up and down the rivers and streams, you may go along time without seeing one, but trust me, they are out there and most of the time, they have all the evidence they need before you know they are there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
they will typically sit back in the brush with a camera or binoculars where snagging occurs a lot, itas funny when someone dosen't notice them and they are almost out in the open LOL

O
OnTheFly
capblack said:
I thought so. And you're right about the NEC.:rolleyes:

troutdude
troutdude
capblack said:

er...umm...pun intended??? LOL

troutdude
troutdude
I did not intend to indicate,that there are no game wardens out in the field. Just that I have not encountered many. But, that could also be due to the fact, that I obey the regs. So, there would be no reason for one to appear from behing the scrub brush.

O
OnTheFly
troutdude said:
I did not intend to indicate,that there are no game wardens out in the field. Just that I have not encountered many. But, that could also be due to the fact, that I obey the regs. So, there would be no reason for one to appear from behing the scrub brush.
TD, Capblack was answering Me with Guilty as Charged after I asked him if he was an electrician.:)

C
ChezJfrey
troutdude said:
There was a lengthy discussion on here earlier this year.

It is just a way for ODFW, to clarify the reg. A legal catch in on the inside of the mouth...NOT outside w/ the hook protruding into the inside of the mouth (i.e. snagging).

I remember the discussion and I still think that although the intent of their previous regulation was that the hooking was to occur from inside (and several members specified that an official would enforce such practice), the wording was ambiguous. I think this new phrasing makes it clearer and was a good move.

ETA: I also think it would have made it crystal clear by adding one more word: 'from inside'. Who are their editors and why are they slacking? LOL!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
OnTheFly said:
TD, Capblack was answering Me with Guilty as Charged after I asked him if he was an electrician.:)

Wha??? oh...ok. I just haven't had my coffee yet...........

troutdude
troutdude
ChezJfrey said:
I remember the discussion and I still think that although the intent of their previous regulation was that the hooking was to occur from inside (and several members specified that an official would enforce such practice), the wording was ambiguous. I think this new phrasing makes it clearer and was a good move.

ETA: I also think it would have made it crystal clear by adding one more word: 'from inside'. Who are their editors and why are they slacking? LOL!

It obvious, that they need you n' me at the Editorial helm.

O
OnTheFly
troutdude said:
er...umm...pun intended??? LOL
Yeah sorry we hijacked the thread for a couple of posts. Got you up on your toes though didn't it.:D;)