Regulation question

troutdude
troutdude
No, it's quite alright. I got a laugh out of it, and enjoyed the joke.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
I made it all the way to page 11 of the reg book before I got confused! Under "hook and weight" regs it says "Except when fishing with a buoyant lure (with no weights added to the line or lure), or trolling from a moving vessel or floating device, terminal fishing gear is restricted to an artificial fly, lure, bait with one single point hook. Hooks must measure 3/4 inch or less from point to shank, and must be attached to or below the lure or bait. Weights may not be attached below or less than 18" above the lure or bait." Forgive me if this is a bad interpretation but does this mean you can't run a leader longer than 18" when drift fishing? How about a drop shotting? Remember I'm new here don't trash me too hard on the replies for my stupidity!

B
Big3d
I could be wrong but i read that as a minimum 18 inch leader! Also if i remember right drop shotting is illegal for salmon, trout, steel based on that law. I think you can however target warmwater species by drop shot. Hopefully someone will verify or shoot down my answer soon!

B
Big3d
And welcome to the forum!

T
TimberTodd
I have always interpreted the regulation as 18" minimum weight to hook. I wont get into long leader length as there have been some much heated discussions on that one. I use a leader of 2' to 30".

K
Knot Fishing Sober
Thanks TT after reading it a dozen or more times it does make more sense. 18" minimum leader. So that must apply to carolina rigs and I guess drop shotting as well. I'm much less confused....I think. :peace:

bass
bass
Hook and Weight Regulations 4 starts with :

When angling for salmon or steelhead, (except in the ocean or as listed under
Special Regulations for specific bodies of water) the following regulations apply:
• Single-point hooks larger than 1 inch and multiple-point hooks larger than 9/16-
inch gap are prohibited.
• All weight, if not part of a conventional lure, must be attached above the hooks. When using single-point hooks larger than 5/8‑inch
gap or multiple-point hooks, the attachment of the weight must be 18 inches or more above uppermost hook.

Thus weight must be more than 18" above your hook, no weight below the hook.

Rule 6.

6. Anti-snagging Rule. Except when fishing with a buoyant lure (with no weights added to the line or lure), or trolling from a moving vessel or floating device, terminal fishing gear is restricted to an artificial fly, lure, or bait with one single-point hook. Hooks must measure 3/4-inch or less from point to shank, and must be attached to or below the lure or bait. Weights may not be attached below or less than 18 inches above the lure or bait. See Special Regulations where anti-snagging regulation is in place.

I do not think that this rule applies everywhere. I think you can still use a treble hook for powerbait for trout. I think you can use a hair rig for carp. If you go through the regulations you will see certain locations where they call out that anti-snagging regulations are in place. For example under Big Creek (Clatsop Co. on page 30) you will find the following.

Gear Restrictions:
• Anti-snagging regulations in place August 1-31 and October 1-31 downstream from
hatchery weir deadline. Note: This section of creek closed September 1-30. See page
11 for anti-snagging gear restrictions.

There are only a places where the anti-snagging rules are in effect. They are not in effect in all places nor are they in effect all the time.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Big3d said:
I could be wrong but i read that as a minimum 18 inch leader! Also if i remember right drop shotting is illegal for salmon, trout, steel based on that law. I think you can however target warmwater species by drop shot. Hopefully someone will verify or shoot down my answer soon!

Only for salmon & steel - you can use a drop shot type rig for trout fishing.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
It was explained to me on this thread that leader lenghth is 18" minimum. Then this morning I'm reading a different thread with a newbie asking for help and people are telling him to use a 12-20" leader for steelies. What gives? I just don't want to fish illegally. The regs here are crazy!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Knot Fishing Sober said:
It was explained to me on this thread that leader lenghth is 18" minimum. Then this morning I'm reading a different thread with a newbie asking for help and people are telling him to use a 12-20" leader for steelies. What gives? I just don't want to fish illegally. The regs here are crazy!

Per Oregon regs, any weight must be attached at least 18 inches above the hook while fishing for salmon and steelhead - so anyone saying to use a 12" leader is advising you to use an illegal setup.

And agreed, the regs are crazy and can get confusing for new anglers, and it doesn't help at all when you have different regulations for different segments of the same body of water.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
Thanks a bunch Gungas! I'm headed out to the clack today and just wanted to be sure. Thanks all you guys for helping me as always. I try not to ask dumb questions.

T
TimberTodd
Knot Fishing Sober said:
I try not to ask dumb questions.

As the old saying goes there is no such thing as a dumb question. You might get some dumb answers though;).

H
halibuthitman
I was the one saying 15-18 inches, and i called odfw and inquired to how long that rule has been in effect. That is part of the new anti snagging law.. I personaly would never use a leader over 20" 18" would be short enough. In alaska where there is no rule of that nature i commonly use 15" since im not sight fishing i dont know how i could be snagging? I have also never had a stater measure my leaders.. They only do that when they have been watching you from from a distance and if they contact you... You are certainly going to get a ticket, but not because of your leader lenght.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
halibuthitman said:
I was the one saying 15-18 inches, and i called odfw and inquired to how long that rule has been in effect. That is part of the new anti snagging law.. I personaly would never use a leader over 20" 18" would be short enough. In alaska where there is no rule of that nature i commonly use 15" since im not sight fishing i dont know how i could be snagging? I have also never had a stater measure my leaders.. They only do that when they have been watching you from from a distance and if they contact you... You are certainly going to get a ticket, but not because of your leader lenght.

It's just another nanny rule that doesn't have much basis in logic. Punish everyone because a few jackwagons (okay, more than a few) snag fish. Instead of simply busting snaggers, we're all boned. FYI, the 18" min length has been around longer than the new anti-snagging rule. Same with the "all weight must be attached above the upper most hook" thing - meaning you can't fish a drop shot or bounce rig for salmon or steelies. They're the only fish you can't use that setup for. And thus, if you're bass fishing, and happen to have your salmon steelhead tag, and get one while targeting bass and otherwise fishing in a legal manner, you technically can't keep your salmon or steelhead because the rig you used was illegal to use for them. How stooopid. Most gamies would probably not care and would realize you weren't breaking the spirit of the law, but if you find one that is pissed off and looking for a reason to screw someone and they happened to watch you land & keep said fish...It's more nonsense really from our rulers just like a synthetic plastic worm is bait, but you can goober up your artificial flies and lures with smelly jelly or liquid scents all you want and that's OK.

D
DrTheopolis
GungasUncle said:
if you're bass fishing, and happen to have your salmon steelhead tag, and get one while targeting bass and otherwise fishing in a legal manner, you technically can't keep your salmon or steelhead because the rig you used was illegal to use for them.

I was under the impression that you could retain the fish (if you have a tag), but if you continue to fish, you have to conform to the applicable salmon/steelhead tackle rules.

But I could be wrong (at any given moment).

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
DrTheopolis said:
I was under the impression that you could retain the fish (if you have a tag), but if you continue to fish, you have to conform to the applicable salmon/steelhead tackle rules.

But I could be wrong (at any given moment).

My info game from a chat with a gamie - so what I got was his interpretation. Given that he was the one with the citation book, I take his word.

M
Mudminnow
Hello everyone,
I am taking a trip to the Pendleton area for a wedding the first weekend in May. In researching what to fish for either smallmouth or trout I keep seeing that the season opens May 23. Does that mean you can't fish at all until May 23 or you can't keep fish until May 23? Thanks for your patience with this crazy South Carolinian trying to figure out your rules. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

It would be ill-advised--prior to May 23rd--to even appear, to fish any of those closed waters. Those waters are closed. Period. You would be ticketed, and pay some hefty fines, if a game warden / law OFFicer showed up.

However, all lakes are open year around in the NE Zone...EXCEPT those, listed under "Special Regulations" (starting on pg. 66, of the ODFW reg book).

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude speaks truth! NE zone the streams and rivers, with very few exceptions, are only open for any fishing during trout season, May 23-Oct31

early May you will need to stick to lakes (trout, bass, warmwater fish all open) or Columbia river (trout closed, bass and other warmwater fish open)...cheers, roger

M
Mudminnow
Thank you for your responses. I am glad I asked. Some of our rivers around me can be fished all year but you can only keep fish a certain part which is why I wanted to clarify. Well it looks like I need to read up on fishing lakes with my fly rod or find some smallmouth. Thanks!