Regulation clairification

A
adambomb
So, I heard that state record fish have to be caught in public water. Is this true? I hope not, because I know where the new record lives, and its not public;)

O
osmosis
I believe the oregon state bluegill record is from a private farm pond. My bluegill aren't far off from the current record and I plan to enter them in a year or two.

O
osmosis
yep googled it and the bluegill is from a "private pond"

Heres a list of the records:
Oregon Fishing Records

A
adambomb
Verrrrry interesting. I caught 4 LMB that were 7lbs + in one day this april. This coming spring I will be ready with scale and camera. My buddy who has access to this lake personally witnessed a 10lb bass caught in may of 08. Its just a matter of time, before she is mine.....;)

O
osmosis
I was told the fish must be weighed on a certified scale (like the ones in the meat department of a grocery store). a lot of the spring and digital scales aren't even close to accurate, some arent bad though.
You might look into the parameters of entering a record with ODFW.

M
Mike123
Geese the record King was taken in 1910.. That's exactly 100 years ago.. :shock:

I've caught a 10lb. bass before... close, but yet still far away from the record.
I've caught a couple blue gill that were close to 2lbs... maybe a pound and half.
I know there have been people who have caught record breaker fish but just never enter them into the books.

What's with the 28lb rainbow out of the Rogue?? :think: Not a steelhead?

T
TTFishon
It's too bad you can't catch and release a record catch. I think this year I'm going to catch a record warmouth but I don't want to kill it.

M
Mike123
TTFishon said:
It's too bad you can't catch and release a record catch. I think this year I'm going to catch a record warmouth but I don't want to kill it.

I thought you could just take pics and measurements and have one witness to get in the record books?

A
adambomb
Mike123 said:
I thought you could just take pics and measurements and have one witness to get in the record books?

I just got done reading the requirements. It has to be weighed on a certified scale, photographed, and two witnesses, including the one who weighed it. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/record_application.pdf The form is labeled "cold water fish", I couldn't find one specifically for warm water fish.

T
TTFishon
The suck part is that you have to give up the location. I suppose if it was caught on private property it wouldn't matter too much. I know after the current record LM was caught Ballenger was fished out pretty quick.

1bigfish
To answer the question, YES it must be caught in public waters.

All warm-water fishing records for the state of Oregon are kept by Oregon Bass and Panfish Club not by ODFW. (IMHO ODFW only cares about cold water fish so get used to it:rolleyes:)

T
The Nothing
Mike123 said:
TTFishon said:

Unfortunately Oregon hasn't caught up with the times on that one. I know a few states have, though, and have separate list for CPR fish.

A
adambomb
Lets just put it this way, IF i catch a record size fish, I will have it weighed on a state inspected scale, and photographed and what not. Then I will forward the story and pic to a few local media outlets and see if we can't get ODFW to change their mind;)

T
Troutier Bassier
I think I caught the salish record bluegill. :think: It was as big as my hand. Huge!

A
a-mac
If you have the situation to catch a state record fish I recommend having a tub made with proper aeration for when you do catch that fish. My buds mom caught the state record largemouth in Indiana like 10yrs ago. It went ~15lbs , which is stupid big for anywhere close to Indiana considering a 7lber is a "wall hanger". The fish was also DNA tested, it was a northern strain. That fish was caught out of a 200 acre private community lake. I've been out a couple times with my bud over the last couple years and they have a lunker trough always ready for the next one. Keep in mind that if just because you manage to catch a potential record fish doesn't mean the odfw is going to drop everything right that minute and come running to your door to make it official. Also keep in mind the value of keeping that fish alive. Cabela's, Bass Pro, and annual fishing expos would be willing to either purchase or "rent" such fish.

My bud's mom never got the recognition she deserved for catching that bass. It was caught on a rebel popper, and despite the Indiana rumors she wasn't using a zebco303... but a baitcaster. Rebel gave her a couple hundred dollars worth of baits for a year, and thats all she got. She's caught over a half dozen other fish over 7lbs since then... Imagine what she could have gotten by keeping that fish alive! Just something to think about. I know if I had a record fish somewhere (private or not) I'd have me a tank ready to go.

F
Finneus Polebender
1bigfish said:
To answer the question, YES it must be caught in public waters.

All warm-water fishing records for the state of Oregon are kept by Oregon Bass and Panfish Club not by ODFW. (IMHO ODFW only cares about cold water fish so get used to it:rolleyes:)

Sad but true current record from ballenger was before the rules changed. Back pond of ballenger still holds monster bass front pond has been beatin nearly to death. Also know of several private spots that definitely hold bass larger than the current record and still think there are new state records swimming in more than a few public waters. once above ten pounds bass become very hard to catch by most conventional methods and feed less frequently on large meals . I have hovered over a 10 plus pound bass in the back pond at ballenger and jigged wiggled and tried every thing in my tackle box inches from his face for 30 minutes without even a bit of interest tight lipped you know what I tell ya. Sure wish I knew what the real big ones do go after maybe one of them swim baits , think the current world record was on natural live bait ,dont think thats legal here though.

Last edited: