Registration for inflatable boat?

K
Kage
Just trying to get this cleared up, is it required to get a inflatable boat registered? And if not, what if a motor is attached? Just one of those small, 4 person boats that's really only room for 2. I just want to make sure because I'm looking at buying one for some lake fishing and possibly mount a motor to it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the rules on registering boats in Oregon is not based on construction of the boat, it is based just on how it is powered: manual powered (no registration), sail powered (over 12' needs registration) or motor powered (any size or type of motor: always needs registration)...cheers, roger

E
eugene1
rogerdodger said:
the rules on registering boats in Oregon is not based on construction of the boat, it is based just on how it is powered: manual powered (no registration), sail powered (over 12' needs registration) or motor powered (any size or type of motor: always needs registration)...cheers, roger

+1 roger.

Motor-powered = registration required.

K
Kage
Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I guess paddling will be fine for now. I'll have to check the boat length to see about the invasive species permit. Thanks guys!

Troutski
Troutski
Magic carpet...

Magic carpet...

Getting away from the shoreline is so much worth any hassle or rule...
Be safe on the water, wear a flotation device... Trouble can happen so very fast..

Tight lines

Chuck

E
espencer757
Also, I believe if this is a new registration, there is a $50 fee on top of the$4.50 per foot registration cost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

K
Kage
Now I got the crazy idea to build a boat.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
espencer757 said:
Also, I believe if this is a new registration, there is a $50 fee on top of the$4.50 per foot registration cost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

that is correct, there is a $50 title fee to get the first title for a new boat or one being registered for the first time, same $50 fee to transfer a title if you buy a boat already titled. then $4.50 per foot plus a $5 fee for the invasive species permit and this gets you a 2 year registration. so renewal for a 12' boat with motor would be $54 + $5 = $59 for 2 years. same boat without a motor is just $5/year for invasive species permit.

I think it is goofy to require registration for boats using just small electric motors, maybe just require a $10/year trolling motor permit like the invasive species permit....

B
Billamicasr
Had a discussion with the Marine board in Salem on how to put on the OR numbers on an inflatable pontoon boat with electric motor. The numbers can be mounted on a piece of Plexiglas / Lexan that is then zip or string tied to the framework. No need to be concerned about the bow placement measurements, just one set of numbers on each side. If there is no frame or attachment points glue on "D" rings would be the answer. Was also told this method is acceptable on canoes, kayaks and small sailboat when you do not wish to put on dedicated glue on the hull stickers.
If you E-mail the Marine Board, you'll get that in writing to print and carry with you in case of being quizzed by LEO's.