Registration decals on pontoon boat

D
darthintel
I purchased a 9ft vinyl bladder pontoon boat last year. I also have an electric motor on it. I received the registration which requires to place lettering on the boat. Where do you place them on an inflatable pontoon boat ?

I'm thinking about making "licence plates" for the stickers to place below the oar locks...

Thanks !

C
capblack
make some small plaques for them and zip tie them to the frame, both sides towards the front. like a license plate

S
sherman
I took some thin plywood painted them white then varethaned them put the stickers & numbers on & I use carabeneers to hook them to some d-rings I glued to the front of the pontoons.

B
BobbiDollPDX
That is where I put mine, I use zip ties to attach them, below the oar locks that is.

M
muskieguide
We have to register our pontoon boats just like big power boats????? Holy crap!!! How long has that been a law? Good thing I'm movin back to WA on Wed. I do plan on bringin my pontoon boat down here a few times this year to fish though so do I have to register it through the dmv or how does that work?

R
Razz
muskieguide said:
We have to register our pontoon boats just like big power boats????? Holy crap!!! How long has that been a law? Good thing I'm movin back to WA on Wed. I do plan on bringin my pontoon boat down here a few times this year to fish though so do I have to register it through the dmv or how does that work?
If you have a motor on a boat in OR register think it's the same in WA .Why move to Wa noting to fish for in rivers.

B
BobbiDollPDX
muskieguide said:

Any watercraft with a motor (electric or gas) has to be registered through the Oregon Marine Board.

D
darthintel
I just purchased the required 3" lettering for the registration and based upon the installation directions, this would require a 29" long number plate ....wow ....this is a very long plate to mount to both sides of a pontoon.....is this the way others have done it? Could the registration numbers be mounted closer together ?
Could I just get away with 1 number plate at the back of the boat mounted to my rack ?

N
ninja2010
darthintel said:
Could I just get away with 1 number plate at the back of the boat mounted to my rack ?

you'll need them on both sides.

C
capblack
both sides towards the front is the rule. as far as not spreading them out, thats a question for the ones who write the tickets

D
darthintel
Can anyone provide pictures how they have done this ?

W
wozniasm
I'm looking into this and got two answers on the cost. I called an authorized agent and he indicated, for my 9 footer, it would cost about $36. Now I also e-mailed the Oregon Marine Board and they indicated the following: "submit that with the manufacturer’s statement of origin, $30 title fee and $32 registration fee for a total of $62.00."
So, which is it? Do I have to title it as well? The agent said no.
Help!

S
sherman
the agent doesn't know what he is talking about. if you are going to hang a motor it is $3.00 a foot for registering with the Marine board plus $30.00 for titleing & another $5.00 for the green fee.
So thats

3x9 = $27.00
+ $30.00
+ $5.00

because my pontoon is 9.5 ft it rounds up to the nearest foot so it cost me $30.00 + $30.00 + $5.00 = $65.00

W
wozniasm
sherman said:
the agent doesn't know what he is talking about. if you are going to hang a motor it is $3.00 a foot for registering with the Marine board plus $30.00 for titleing & another $5.00 for the green fee.
So thats

3x9 = $27.00
+ $30.00
+ $5.00

because my pontoon is 9.5 ft it rounds up to the nearest foot so it cost me $30.00 + $30.00 + $5.00 = $65.00

So, if I had an inflatable one or two person raft and put an elec trolling motor on it, I would require a title?
Also, what the heck is a "manufacturer’s statement of origin"? I bought my toon on Craig's List "used" from a private party...

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
Okay, I confirmed I have to get a title but am awaiting what to do about the "manufacturer’s statement of origin" since it hasn't been registered previously and I have no receipt from the private party I bought it from.

N
ninja2010
wozniasm said:
Okay, I confirmed I have to get a title but am awaiting what to do about the "manufacturer’s statement of origin" since it hasn't been registered previously and I have no receipt from the private party I bought it from.

the statement of origin is just a piece of paper from the manufacturer. you get that with a new boat. but if you bought it used, you're prolly s.o.l. with that but if you know the brand of your toon, you can get a copy from the manufacturer.

another (not so good) thing you can try, is to just go into an agent (i went to a local boat dealer) on a saturday, and the girl who submitted my registration was not sure what the "statement of origin" was so she just put "n/a" and called that good. it worked, coz i got my papers and stickers for my old toon. imo, i don't think anyone really gives a hoot about that piece of paper - it's your $$$$ they want. so if you pay, you'll be golden.