Regarding the "lakes" along I-84 in the gorge

J
JonT
So, Drano lake is probably the largest one, I know it holds fish seasonally, but there are a lot of little lakes/ponds along the highway, mostly on the Washington side of the river. Do they hold fish? Most of them are not connected to the river. I'd like very much to kayak on them with a rod or 2.

Irishrover
Irishrover
It's been close to 40 yeas ago but I used to fish for bass up near Blalock Canyon off I-84. It was I-80N back then. Would park off the freeway climb over the guard rail and head down to the ponds. Seem like there were some rail road tracks right close too. Used to meet my brother up there he was working for the rail road on a project up out of the Ione-Lexinton area. Fishing was just ok for bass nothing hot like the John Day can be. Don't think it's near where you are talking about though.

Last edited:
J
JonT
I figured if there was anything in these ponds, it would be smallmouth and largemouth. I guess I'll have to give it a shot in the kayak.

D
DrTheopolis
I know the ones just east of Portland (near Multnomah Falls, Benson (?) Lake, etc.) get stocked in spring.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just made a trip today up to Mary Hill Winery. I cut over to the Washington side at Hood River. There was some goodlooking water between White Salmon and Lyle. Nice water for a paddled craft.

J
JonT
Irishrover said:
I just made a trip today up to Mary Hill Winery. I cut over to the Washington side at Hood River. There was some goodlooking water between White Salmon and Lyle. Nice water for a paddled craft.

Exactly what I'm talking about! Is I-84 eastbound still closed?

Irishrover
Irishrover
JonT said:
Exactly what I'm talking about! Is I-84 eastbound still closed?
It was closed at Cascade Locks. They had folks take the Bridge of the Gods over to Hwy 14 then come back at hood river. We went up hwy 26 to hwy 35 then to I-84. Both lanes were open west bound.